Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Quilty was asked on Periscope during his show after 6 what really happened with Ray Foley to which he replied "can't tell you that...Ray Foley is a dear friend of mine and I am sure you will hear him pop up on another station very soon" ...here's hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

IUA14 wrote: »
    Quilty was asked on Periscope during his show after 6 what really happened with Ray Foley

Errr he was axed after 3 years due to awful ratings. Hardly a state secret

Errr he was axed after 3 years due to awful ratings. Hardly a state secret

Firstly I just put the quote in...can't really change what Quilty said or the question that someone asked him, and the official line is that Foley left 98FM, not that he was booted, so why would Quilty drop himself in shi* by saying any different? Don't really get the point of your comment...I was more interested myself in the latter part hence why I said I hope he does pop up on another station soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Muireann and ray are back on the seven o clock show on tv3. Tv3 got muireanns name wrong though. Mairead ronan she ain't. She's better IMO.

• Advertisement

The lads on a date night in L'Ecrivain...well for some! Glad to see JP is still alive! Hopefully plotting their return to the airwaves!

Seems like Foley is recovering well from the toll 98FM took on him, really dropping the weight. He said in Twitter its down to "exercise, sleep, and happiness" ...all for happiness but get back on the radio or podcasting!!!

https://twitter.com/rayfoleyshow/status/702958073036591104

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

WTF? I flicked onto 98 on my morning commute and hear that cooper lad? Then came here and see Ray is gone??? I never listened to it regularly recently due to a shorter commute. I used to flick iradio on before and hated that cooper lads voice. I used to listen to 98 all the time on my longer commute, ray in the morning, dermot and dave on the way home ("everythings better with chocolate chef was brilliant)....the profile has dropped a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

WTF? I flicked onto 98 on my morning commute and hear that cooper lad? Then came here and see Ray is gone??? I never listened to it regularly recently due to a shorter commute. I used to flick iradio on before and hated that cooper lads voice. I used to listen to 98 all the time on my longer commute, ray in the morning, dermot and dave on the way home ("everythings better with chocolate chef was brilliant)....the profile has dropped a lot.

just caught this thread, so i presume the ray foley morning show on 98fm finally got the bullet? not surprising as morning radio didnt suit them, they should never have left their slot on today fm, so what next for ray? its jp i would fear for, ray will get a gig no probs but what will jp do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Lads, anyone know what the tune was they used juat at half 6 when the show.started, may have juat been used when Ray was late, the station voice was like "across dublin people are waking up to... " was fairly dramatic, kinda Hanz Zimmer esque. Heard it somewhere last week and now it's stuck in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

soc160 wrote: »
    Lads, anyone know what the tune was they used juat at half 6 when the show.started, may have juat been used when Ray was late, the station voice was like "across dublin people are waking up to... " was fairly dramatic, kinda Hanz Zimmer esque. Heard it somewhere last week and now it's stuck in my head.

I think he said it was from the kick ass movie soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Here you go soc160

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

jezzer wrote: »
    just caught this thread, so i presume the ray foley morning show on 98fm finally got the bullet? not surprising as morning radio didnt suit them, they should never have left their slot on today fm, so what next for ray? its jp i would fear for, ray will get a gig no probs but what will jp do?

Their last show was on Christmas Eve. Foley is working on tv/journalism at the minute.

I'm not too sure what JP is up to, I think floating around the background in 98 and doing some production work?

Their last show was on Christmas Eve. Foley is working on tv/journalism at the minute.

I'm not too sure what JP is up to, I think floating around the background in 98 and doing some production work?

poor JP, he was playing a dangerous game hanging onto foleys coat tails, i remember on today fm and he had to present when foley was off and he hated it and only lasted a day which was a pity, foley works one day a week now filling in for martin king on the 7 o clock show on tv3, what a fall from grace for the two lads, they were the hot shots once back with today fm, they should never have left

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

poor JP, he was playing a dangerous game hanging onto foleys coat tails, i remember on today fm and he had to present when foley was off and he hated it and only lasted a day which was a pity, foley works one day a week now filling in for martin king on the 7 o clock show on tv3, what a fall from grace for the two lads, they were the hot shots once back with today fm, they should never have left

Maybe they could be the Irish version of Ant and Dec?

xtradel wrote: »
    Maybe they could be the Irish version of Ant and Dec?

na, whilst jp is the right size foley is too tall

i wonder what foleys next move will be? would he be on the dole now? i doubt tv3 pay that well for one day a week

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

na, whilst jp is the right size foley is too tall

i wonder what foleys next move will be? would he be on the dole now? i doubt tv3 pay that well for one day a week

He's doing Voiceover work for radio ads as well, they can be very easy money generators.

I think he's focusing on his masters for now and no doubt he will pursuit something once he is finished with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Is JP still at 98 in a background role? I don't think I've listened once since the last show tbh. A few years ago, I'd be listening nearly all day. Ray & JP when I was getting ready in the morning/on the commute, Barry Dunne when the radio was on at work, and then D&D on the way home.

Is JP still at 98 in a background role? I don't think I've listened once since the last show tbh. A few years ago, I'd be listening nearly all day. Ray & JP when I was getting ready in the morning/on the commute, Barry Dunne when the radio was on at work, and then D&D on the way home.

98 attepmted a big makeover a couple of years ago, they brought in foley and had D&D at the time and had the seacrest syndicated show but it never happened, its now a poor relation of fm104

Loughc wrote: »
    He's doing Voiceover work for radio ads as well, they can be very easy money generators.

I think he's focusing on his masters for now and no doubt he will pursuit something once he is finished with that.

he is doing a masters, what for? he was the self proclaimed king of radio and now he isnt even on the radio....funny how it works out....i think he is good on the 7 o clock show, witty but i think his place is in day time radio, T Fentons old slot would have been good for him (RIP T Fenton, a year gone today)

• Advertisement

he is doing a masters, what for? he was the self proclaimed king of radio and now he isnt even on the radio....funny how it works out.

He's doing a masters in journalism. Maybe he wants to move from the light entertainment type shows and move into more serious journalism type programming.

He's doing a masters in journalism. Maybe he wants to move from the light entertainment type shows and move into more serious journalism type programming.

i really couldnt see that but perhaps you are right but he never seemed to take an interest in current affairs....although i'm guessing that he feels he has come to the end of the road with the light entertainment, i remember joe and keith (keith from 2fm now) used to do light entertainment on spin and joe decided to try get into serious radio but i believe it didnt really work for him, he sounded awful like gerry daly though....

i really hope poor jp will be ok, i can just imagine him being totally lost without his old buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

For domestic radio ads, they really aren't.

L1011 wrote: »

and i cant see tv3 paying much for one day a week so whats he going to do for cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

and i cant see tv3 paying much for one day a week so whats he going to do for cash?

He'll have 2 or 3 more kids and live off the child benefit. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

L1011 wrote: »

I remember the lads saying in a podcast that they pay really well. Ian Dempsey had paid for one of his kid’s college fees through the money he gets for the Lidl ads he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Iirc in one of the podcasts it's only if the ad is picked up by other radio stations then the money gets better

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

buster180 wrote: »
    I remember the lads saying in a podcast that they pay really well. Ian Dempsey had paid for one of his kid’s college fees through the money he gets for the Lidl ads he does.

The Lidl ads are TV also, which pays far better. College registration fees are about 3-4k a year, though; not an income.

A station-made voiceover might get you 40 quid, and maybe 20 quid a station if its taken up by others but capped at a still low amount. Its a lot of money for a few minutes but you're not getting one a day even.

buster180 wrote: »

yes but that is radio wide and on tv

• Advertisement

Muireann and Ray did the seven o'clock show again. Ray will have to get the band back together at some point.

https://twitter.com/rayfoleyshow/status/708364716696080384

Not being on mornings is REALLY suiting ray. Muireann is a stunner IMO.

Advertisement