Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

L1011 wrote: »
    There's three national stations - one won't have them back, one is a talk station and the other is 2FM and has a full new schedule with no openings right now.

No actually there are 4 mainstream national stations but I said two VIABLE destinations for the lads, and those are 2FM and Today FM. Unless you work there or have inside info where is the "one won't have them back" view from? They left on good terms and have a lot of friends there still, Colm O'Sullivan is PD now there aswell I believe. Regardless, my point is both stations have full, relatively new, schedules in place so don't see an opening right now for them that would fit, particularly on weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The potential options I see for them at present are (in order of perceived likelihood):

1) Replace Breakfast Republic on 2FM if BR's figures aren't actually as good as the JNLR's make them look (timeslot gerrymandering has made their figures hard to analyse for myself)
    2) Replace Louise Duffy if Today FM wanted to make a move there.
    3) If Matt Cooper were to move to NT when Hook retires, potentially Ray to do a new music-based drivetime show on Today FM.
    4) Weekend radio
    4) Replace Ian Dempsey if he were to retire/move slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Can't see anything happening with Today FM anytime soon.

Well it's just the conspiracy theorist in me that thinks it'd be rather convenient if Ray were to be finished his Masters in September (he started in September last year yeah?), around the same time Hook is retiring...

<_<
    >_>

:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The potential options I see for them at present are (in order of perceived likelihood):

1) Replace Breakfast Republic on 2FM if BR's figures aren't actually as good as the JNLR's make them look (timeslot gerrymandering has made their figures hard to analyse for myself)
    2) Replace Louise Duffy if Today FM wanted to make a move there.
    3) If Matt Cooper were to move to NT when Hook retires, potentially Ray to do a new music-based drivetime show on Today FM.
    4) Weekend radio
    4) Replace Ian Dempsey if he were to retire/move slot.

who said today fm wont have them back?

On 98 ray proved he wasnt breakfast material
    Replacing louise duffy could be an option
    I would assume the cooper man (saherday) would move to NT as he is not really today fm material
    I would say he thinks he is above weekend radio
    Dempsey wont be going anywhere for at least another 10 years

• Advertisement

jezzer wrote: »
    who said today fm wont have them back?

I think this comes from Ray's own comments on Today FM (i.e he didn't seem happy with the direction it had gone in since he left, and was very vocal about it.) I think people assume Today FM will hold a grudge about that. I for one don't. If Today FM think Ray can win them back listeners, and if they offer Ray money, both sides'll quickly forget all that was said.
    On 98 ray proved he wasnt breakfast material

I disagree. I think he proved he wasn't Dublin local radio material. I don't think his style of presenting fits in with a tight format, and he isn't popular in Dublin.
    But this has been discussed before. :)
    Replacing louise duffy could be an option
    I would assume the cooper man (saherday) would move to NT as he is not really today fm material
    I would say he thinks he is above weekend radio

Probably, but weekend work might be a way of getting an "in" to a station short-term. Include cover work with that, and you'd imagine that and TV work would be a nice living.
    Dempsey wont be going anywhere for at least another 10 years

Probably. But if Cooper were to leave, maybe Dempsey would fancy getting off early mornings and doing drive?

Anything could happen really.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I think this comes from Ray's own comments on Today FM (i.e he didn't seem happy with the direction it had gone in since he left, and was very vocal about it.) I think people assume Today FM will hold a grudge about that. I for one don't. If Today FM think Ray can win them back listeners, and if they offer Ray money, both sides'll quickly forget all that was said.

I disagree. I think he proved he wasn't Dublin local radio material. I don't think his style of presenting fits in with a tight format, and he isn't popular in Dublin.
    But this has been discussed before. :)

Probably, but weekend work might be a way of getting an "in" to a station short-term. Include cover work with that, and you'd imagine that and TV work would be a nice living.

Probably. But if Cooper were to leave, maybe Dempsey would fancy getting off early mornings and doing drive?

Anything could happen really.

true he defo isnt dublin material but you would have imagined they would have looked at this listener figures from today fm and saw that dubs dont like him?

No way would the self professed king of radio ever ever cover for someone else on radio or do weekend/graveyard shifts

regarding dempsey, as opposed to foley i think his style suits a tight format, he is far too much of an air head (and i mean that is the best possible way) for drive time, when they did the presenter switcharoo there a while back he was way out of his depth in sahurday coopers slot....he suits breakkie radio to the last, airy fairy couple of laughs in the morning type, a nice guy and has the bants with the girls in the office...

I think either louise duffys or fearghal darcys slots would suit foley best, anyone know how duffys slot is? they give her show plenty of advertising anyway

true he defo isnt dublin material but you would have imagined they would have looked at this listener figures from today fm and saw that dubs dont like him?

No way would the self professed king of radio ever ever cover for someone else on radio or do weekend/graveyard shifts

regarding dempsey, as opposed to foley i think his style suits a tight format, he is far too much of an air head (and i mean that is the best possible way) for drive time, when they did the presenter switcharoo there a while back he was way out of his depth in sahurday coopers slot....he suits breakkie radio to the last, airy fairy couple of laughs in the morning type, a nice guy and has the bants with the girls in the office...

I think either louise duffys or fearghal darcys slots would suit foley best, anyone know how duffys slot is? they give her show plenty of advertising anyway

I think a lot of the TodayFM comments Foley and JP made were in jest, sure the first 2 years on 98FM they were often calling Today FM on the podcast speaking to reception, Ann, Adelle, Shauna, Paul Collins etc. And they have a lot of friends still there so not a case of them burning bridges. I think after Wille stepped down as Chief there and Peter McPartlin took over is when the enjoyment they had there lessened, he of course stepped down just before Christmas so if that was an obstacle for them going back its gone now.

He definitely didn't suit a Dublin market but if he could bring the 37,000-40,000 Dublin listeners he had to a show on Today FM or 2FM and add that to national listeners he would draw, that's a win. I think his show when he had 156,000+ listeners only had about 24,000 from Dublin. He is a proven national draw and if he can add listeners from the capital to that from his Dublin misadventures then that's positive.

I don't know if Foley would want another breakfast show...but I guess 7-9 is a damn sight better than 6-10. Dempsey signed a new 3 year deal in November 2014 so don't see him leaving or moving slots soon, most successful show on the station so why would he. Afternoons or drivetime could be an option I think depending on what happens with Hook/Cooper.

Louise Duffy is at 94,000 listeners so not great at all numbers wise but they seem to be keeping faith with her. I know on the 2FM side of things Nicky Byrne & co. will be off for about a month over Eurovision time and he has ambitions to get back into music so that slot could come up in the near future. And McDermott seems to have a real urge to get back on air in the UK so that schedule could change again...don't know how Dan Healy and Foley would get along tho...anyways nothing imminent it seems which is a pain cause miss the lads on air...WISH THEY WOULD BLOODY PODCAST!!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

, all the birds legs look terrible for some reason....

FCUK YES!! Someone I can relate too. What's with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Would love to hear ray back on the airwaves. But it should be in a different guise...

The Ray we love is from the 'crazy' days of today fm. Ray is older, wiser, his lifestyle etc has changed. He has a lot of mileage and talent left in him, but to succeed he should change his presentation style to something a bit more mature, and show his ability to carry a show on his own. Rely less on the banter with Jp, zany game show style slots, tone it down and play off the interaction of the listeners. This role would suit him down to the ground, and a drive time would fit the bill. Get cooper over to news talk and foley steps in, compete with the other drive timers on the other stations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Would love to hear ray back on the airwaves. But it should be in a different guise...

The Ray we love is from the 'crazy' days of today fm. Ray is older, wiser, his lifestyle etc has changed. He has a lot of mileage and talent left in him, but to succeed he should change his presentation style to something a bit more mature, and show his ability to carry a show on his own. Rely less on the banter with Jp, zany game show style slots, tone it down and play off the interaction of the listeners. This role would suit him down to the ground, and a drive time would fit the bill. Get cooper over to news talk and foley steps in, compete with the other drive timers on the other stations

I know it would never happen but it would be cool to hear them on a pirate just playing whatever the hell the wanted, talking sh**e with Al on the phone.

I would love to see the lads do a similar show to what they did on Today FM simply because nobody on the air does a fun show as well as they did and I miss that! I know on an NTN podcast with Al before they said they would do the show they are doing now (98FM breakfast show at the time) for few years which is something new for them and then go back to what they did before, so that seemed to be the plan at one point anyway...but I think now Ray is getting his masters it may indicate he might go a different route and perhaps do a different type of show...something akin to what Anton does maybe a mix of music and chat?

I know someone mentioned maybe Foley taking over if Matt goes to Newstalk and do a more music focused drivetime show...maybe Anton to go to The Last Word and have the mid-morning slot available? I don't think that TodayFM will ditch the last word, doubt they would do better in the ratings with a music show in thats lot. Saw on Twitter and in a different thread here some suggesting Louise Duffy may be pregnant? That would be an interesting development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

IUA14 wrote: »
    Saw on Twitter and in a different thread here some suggesting Louise Duffy may be pregnant?.

If Louise is pregnant, then who's going to fill her slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I think somebody already has if she's pregnant!

I'd take that as pure rumour on here for now but would be interesting. I can't see them moving Paula McSweeney there to cover for her if its true and she departs on maternity leave, need someone a bit more solid. Part of me is dreading the thought of Fergal D'Arcy doing it...best case scenario is Foley joins Ann as cover for Duffy till September when something may or may not happen with Cooper leading to schedule changes. I think 2.30 to 4.30 would be a good slot for them...and with 94,000 listeners currently its something they could probably improve on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

So after careful consideration and the fact that some seasoned and very good contributors to this forum have contact me in relation to this thread I am going to reopen it. Maybe we can keep the discussion on previous radio days (not TV as that can be discussed on another forum)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I'm still
    Holding out for him too return too Today FM

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

bbability wrote: »
    So after careful consideration and the fact that some seasoned and very good contributors to this forum have contact me in relation to this thread I am going to reopen it. Maybe we can keep the discussion on previous radio days (not TV as that can be discussed on another forum)

I was going to message you myself on it, could we move this to the Celebrity & Showbiz Forum until he gets fully back into Radio?

I'm glad it's re-opened, there's a nice little community building up on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I'm still
    Holding out for him too return too Today FM

I don't care what station he comes back to as long as it's a national one

Loughc wrote: »
    I was going to message you myself on it, could we move this to the Celebrity & Showbiz Forum until he gets fully back into Radio?

I'm glad it's re-opened, there's a nice little community building up on this thread.

yes good point, as he is not currently in radio and is on television that would be a good idea.....if louise duffy is preggers then i could see foley in that slot, mid daytime/afternoon radio is where he belongs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

The guy is just a natural entertainer cant wait to have him back on national radio.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'd love a new NTN podcast. I really hope he brings that back. I miss the chatter amongst the gang and we all need to know that JP is safe :P

I'd love a new NTN podcast. I really hope he brings that back. I miss the chatter amongst the gang and we all need to know that JP is safe :P

Hopefully whatever is preventing them from doing one passes soon, he did promise as soon as they could they would.

Hopefully whatever is preventing them from doing one passes soon, he did promise as soon as they could they would.

Maybe Foley is waiting until his college is over. He prob has exams next month.

very true, i'm still worried about JP, he's so small and hasnt had to fend on his own before

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

very true, i'm still worried about JP, he's so small and hasnt had to fend on his own before

Unless there is sarcasm I'm not getting. He's a grown man not a baby duck.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Unless there is sarcasm I'm not getting. He's a grown man not a baby duck.

i know but he has always had foley lookin out for him and he did whatever foley did and now he is on his own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

i know but he has always had foley lookin out for him and he did whatever foley did and now he is on his own

Like a baby duck, abandoned by its Mother, left to fend for himself

Game changer...Ivan Yates to leave Newstalk in July...so they will lose both breakfast and drive hosts within 3 months...could replace from Today FM (Cooper or Anton) creating openings...Foley in perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Game changer...Ivan Yates to leave Newstalk in July...so they will lose both breakfast and drive hosts within 3 months...could replace from Today FM (Cooper or Anton) creating openings...Foley in perhaps.

Dempsey too move too last word possibly also? Lots of re-shuffles

Advertisement