Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

jezzer wrote: »
    imagine ray on 2fm after all the slagging he gave them! if the do get rid of byrne an announcement will be made by byrne that he wants to leave to further his music career then he will do some interviews with some womens magazines saying that a day job was holding back his artistic talent and he is now delighted that he gets to spend more time with georgina and the kids and work on his music and he is working on an upcoming solo album and he has a load of "projects" in the pipeline....you know the usual sh1te

Well 2FM has radically changed since he used to rip it out of him, gave them a quick subtle mention in the last NTN when saying he wouldn't listen to he stations Muireann is on usually he has others there and name checked 2FM and another station. Besides they tried to poach him before while he was ripping it out of them.

It's a pure guess from Foleys comments on the last NTN about researching commuting and I think Byrne has run his course there...if it was the case it would for sure be announced that he is leaving on his own terms to work on music or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Heard his interview earlier on Anton Savages show. It's a pity the new Today FM show didn't work out, he would be a big improvement on Fergal Darcy with or without JP. Hope he gets back on to a regular spot again soon.

Edit - I am guessing what slot he was going to be taking over, have no knowledge what he was going to be starting back in with Today FM.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I wonder how long we'll have to wait to hear about what station did he end up signing for?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

**** gutted I missed this. And it seems people were right it's still not up there unless I've missed it.

I know he mentioned 2fm on the podcast but I know Suzanne Kane has left 4fm but as others have said Nicky Bryne being fecked out of it.

For those that heard it did he definetely say he had signed with a radio station ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    **** gutted I missed this. And it seems people were right it's still not up there unless I've missed it.

I know he mentioned 2fm on the podcast but I know Suzanne Kane has left 4fm but as others have said Nicky Bryne being fecked out of it.

For those that heard it did he definetely say he had signed with a radio station ?

Yeah he definitely said it. Wonder could he have been talking about either of his stints with Red FM or Virgin?

• Advertisement

Yeah he spoke about the previous time in Today FM glowingly and it was ''the time of their lives'' then about 98FM...was very diplomatic and used the phrase from the NTN of "taking one for the team" by going there then mentioned they were all set to come back to Today FM to do a show and were told two weeks before it wasn't happening. He then said something to the effect of 'so I've signed with another station and they'll abuse me just as much' in a very joking tone. All in all was a good interview...don't know why they wouldn't upload it...just the bit about planning to be back and then told they were not that maybe went off script a bit...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Well that's really disappointing. Now I'm really sickened for him being 2 weeks away from getting back on Todayfm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

would people here feel that foley would be better on tony fentons old slot instead of fergal darcy? i am assuming darcy comes cheaper than foley...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

jezzer wrote: »
    would people here feel that foley would be better on tony fentons old slot instead of fergal darcy? i am assuming darcy comes cheaper than foley...

Heh Jezzer, you're asking a thread primarily full of Foley fans if they'd rather Foley in a slot on Today FM over a presenter who has received very little acclaim on the forum (rightly or wrongly)...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

IUA14 wrote: »
    Can someone please put up a picture of the tweet or tell me what it said.
    I'm not on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Still no sign of that interview on Today FM's listen back

Can someone please put up a picture of the tweet or tell me what it said.
    I'm not on twitter.

It said he was talking about Red FM and not another station that he has signed to.

As for ''Ferg''...yeah I can't stand him and his beds are really irritating...I would rather Louise Duffy back in that slot over him!

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Still no sign of that interview on Today FM's listen back

We may be reading too much into it actually, I just checked there are a few days with parts missing, before yesterday is was Monday with Part 3 missing...but saw a few people mentioned it on Twitter so maybe they will rectify it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

We may be reading too much into it actually, I just checked there are a few days with parts missing, before yesterday is was Monday with Part 3 missing...but saw a few people mentioned it on Twitter so maybe they will rectify it

On Boards? Never! ;)

It said he was talking about Red FM and not another station that he has signed to.

As for ''Ferg''...yeah I can't stand him and his beds are really irritating...I would rather Louise Duffy back in that slot over him!

wow it must be bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jackmcc

I'm beginning to think they're not going to upload part 3 because of the Foley interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The TodayFM boss sounds like an ass. I hope he's kicked out soon. Fergal Darcy on the 2:30 - 4:30 slot was a huge mistake. So was not taking Foley back

Synode wrote: »
    The TodayFM boss sounds like an ass. I hope he's kicked out soon. Fergal Darcy on the 2:30 - 4:30 slot was a huge mistake. So was not taking Foley back

Was the new today fm boss the 98fm boss when foley was on breakfast ? If he was then maybe that explains why ray was blocked as we know ray would flourish back on todayfm and would show that Ray wasn't the issue on 98fm.

I mean the 98fm breakfast in hindsight was never going to work unless 98 lossened up their breakfast show format given the people they signed to do it are their best when not tied down to that much of a format.

I mean Ray on today fm barely went to the lunchtime news on time but on 98fm he had to hit things on time. And fair enough that's the way breakfast radio is at least in 98fm but as us who listened to Ray for years that wasn't going to work.

I mean Ray and JP gelled brilliantly with deeno and Phil and Adrian and muireann was a great addition but it was too late.

• Advertisement

Was the new today fm boss the 98fm boss when foley was on breakfast ? If he was then maybe that explains why ray was blocked as we know ray would flourish back on todayfm and would show that Ray wasn't the issue on 98fm.

Yeah thats the one and thats why the TodayFM return didn't happen I am guessing. 98FM flopped during his time so no idea how he got the TodayFM gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

Who exactly is the boss in question?

I doubt if Foley was 2 weeks away from moving, that the Today Fm boss pulled the plug, surely he would have been involved in the process before hand.

Foley is great at what he does, but he's fairly hated in radio, for being successful to a point and also for being an ass. He would want decent money in any station he goes to, would want very particular staff and a free reign on air, too demanding for some stations. Today Fm is out of the question for another few years I would say. RTE could be an option, but they wouldn't want him doing TV3 stuff surely?

KReid wrote: »
    Who exactly is the boss in question?

I doubt if Foley was 2 weeks away from moving, that the Today Fm boss pulled the plug, surely he would have been involved in the process before hand.

Foley is great at what he does, but he's fairly hated in radio, for being successful to a point and also for being an ass. He would want decent money in any station he goes to, would want very particular staff and a free reign on air, too demanding for some stations. Today Fm is out of the question for another few years I would say. RTE could be an option, but they wouldn't want him doing TV3 stuff surely?

Keith McCormack I believe. Around the time Foley left 98FM, or just before, the CEO of Today FM (who was there before they left) stepped down and moved on, McCormack then got the top job in Today FM earlier this year so the timeline would match up, or the move didn't happen due to the gap between CEO's and Foley's contract with Communicorp expiring hence him being on gardening leave from December to June. Can't do much else but take his word for it, doesn't get anything out of saying it really and he really only said it in passing on the interview with Anton.

I could see him ending up back there at some point maybe, weekend slot initially maybe but would have loved him to take the old Fenton slot. Of the old gang Adelle, Ann and Shauna are there. JP is downstairs in Newstalk. So if he went to a station elsewhere I don't think he would be bringing anyone with him.

With the RTE not wanting him working at TV3, thats never been a problem for them before! Ciara King, Ruth Scott, Dave Fanning and plenty of others are regular contributors on the Seven O'Clock Show.

Ye maybe those timelines fit, still though, that sounds like a serious breach of contract, unless he meant he was two weeks away from signing one, which could just be bull**** really. He would have been contracted until June with 98 too so he wouldn't have moved for a long time anyway. Always got the impression that Today FM in one sense where happy to see him go, obviously he was a ratings winner but was difficult to work with.

In regard to his team, I didn't mean those guys, I just mean he would want his own people presumably working with him, he has high standards, but if RTE was the destination he could easily attract a good producer with the money on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

My guess is that his contract ended with 98 in November of last year, and they agreed he'd stay on until Christmas, possibly implying that this would lead to a straightforward transfer back to Today FM in the new year, which then fell through.

Doubt we'll ever know what really happened being honest though. Shame if it actually was that close... I've switched to Dempsey in the mornings now (driven away from NT), so if Foley were in the 2:30-4:30 slot I could easily leave Today FM on all day again, which hasn't really been possible since he left (D'Arcy's decline for me started at a similar time, 2012-ish).

foley had a piece in the business section of the sunday indo yesterday and all he mentioned work wise was that he presented the 7 o clock show of a friday

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    My guess is that his contract ended with 98 in November of last year, and they agreed he'd stay on until Christmas, possibly implying that this would lead to a straightforward transfer back to Today FM in the new year, which then fell through.

Doubt we'll ever know what really happened being honest though. Shame if it actually was that close... I've switched to Dempsey in the mornings now (driven away from NT), so if Foley were in the 2:30-4:30 slot I could easily leave Today FM on all day again, which hasn't really been possible since he left (D'Arcy's decline for me started at a similar time, 2012-ish).

He said himself he was put on gardening leave until June, that's why he wasn't able to do any new media work or take a job with a station, he would have had to have had a contract in order to put him on gardening leave, the alternative would be that he was payed off in exchange to leave and signed a contract not to take more work for a certain period, but he already said it was gardening leave, no reason to deny that. We might hear from him on his own podcast about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Anyone know when Foley is due to finish up with RedFM...I thought it was the end of September?

• Advertisement

Anyone know when Foley is due to finish up with RedFM...I thought it was the end of September?

I thought he had only signed on to do 10 weeks, that would bring him to mid-September but he's still there, maybe he signed an extension.

EDIT: To follow up on this, taken from the RedFM press release when he joined was this.
    The series starts this Saturday and will run until 17 September between 7am and 10am

Advertisement