Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Apparently Foley has been speaking with execs in Newstalk, not sure if anything will come of it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Where'd you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

jezzer wrote: »
    Apparently Foley has been speaking with execs in Newstalk, not sure if anything will come of it though

Would be interested to know where you heard that from too. Newstalk's new schedule and all...as much as I don't like the changes, it would be strange to make any additions to it now, possibly on the weekend?

IUA14 wrote: »
    Would be interested to know where you heard that from too. Newstalk's new schedule and all...as much as I don't like the changes, it would be strange to make any additions to it now, possibly on the weekend?

Thats what I thought, the weekend schedule...

I heard it from a guy who is currently contracting in newstalk

Well if he has been in and out that's some indication I guess. Would be interested to see if anything comes of it. Himself and JP back potentially back under the same roof at Marconi House...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Newstalk ? You could have given me a hundred guesses and I'd never have picked newstalk. I mean Ray is a music presenter and well newstalk isn't a music station so I'm curious how that would fit. Serious radio isn't really his thing. I mean I'm sure he can do it but ****etalking with his friends for two and a half hours is what he's good at.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Newstalk ? You could have given me a hundred guesses and I'd never have picked newstalk. I mean Ray is a music presenter and well newstalk isn't a music station so I'm curious how that would fit. Serious radio isn't really his thing. I mean I'm sure he can do it but ****etalking with his friends for two and a half hours is what he's good at.

I think the last few NTN podcasts have seen Al and Ray discuss some serious topics and do it well but yes I agree it would be a departure from what he made his name at doing better than anyone else imo.

Maybe the interview with the Newstalk boss back in May might be relevant again where he said they will trial new formats and that the name Newstalk is not ideal and if they had a few million to throw away they might rebrand. It would still be a surprise to see Foley end up there but who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I think the Masters he's just finished probably heralds him moving away from the style of show we know and love tbh. NewsTalk might actually be a good fit for him if he's looking to go down that route, perhaps he might get a show similar to Tom Dunne's or a weekend gig. I'd be slightly worried though, with the best will in the world, his interviewing has never been his strongest asset IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah I'd hate that move, I'd give it a go but probably wouldn't listen long-term. Ray does one kind of radio fantastically, I don't see why you'd move away from your strongpoint. I mean, yeah, I could see him doing the odd serious bit and he's done so in the past really well, but it stands out BECAUSE it's the exception. Like when a good comedy does a dramatic plot and you're instantly invested. Even in the serious chats with Al, he usually ends up getting bored that the conversation isn't about him after a while (and I don't mean that as a dig or criticism, it works for him). Trying to do it with different guests and items would seem forced. Imagine Moyles or Howard Stern trying to do a news/magazine show...it'd just never work! They work because they're personalities and that personality drives everything in the show, very few people in Irish radio can do that! And trying to force the transition slowly ended Colm Hayes' career as a national broadcaster.

About as quirky as you're going to get on Newstalk (unless you're talking OTB - and we know he doesn't do sport) is Moncrieff...and even then I couldn't see Ray doing that kind of show. I really, really hope he was just in NT to visit JP and some mates in Today FM and this is just a rumour. Give me 2FM before that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I think the Masters he's just finished probably heralds him moving away from the style of show we know and love tbh. NewsTalk might actually be a good fit for him if he's looking to go down that route, perhaps he might get a show similar to Tom Dunne's or a weekend gig. I'd be slightly worried though, with the best will in the world, his interviewing has never been his strongest asset IMO.

I'd have to agree with this, Foley is not an interviewer, he had trouble interviewing Ed Sheeran about his music back in the day so I can't see him manage the leap to more cerebral subject matter on Newstalk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That's funny because my dogs second cousin twice removed on my mothers side heard he was going to TodayFM.

Yea I think he is looking to try move into a more deeper role, maybe like neil delamer on today fm on sundays?

Yea I think he is looking to try move into a more deeper role, maybe like neil delamer on today fm on sundays?

I think that sort of show would suit him...I kinda thought his next career move, given the masters and stuff, would be to the kinda show that Anton does but obviously a different style...a mix of music and chat about things of substance and then those not of substance too of course! Who knows when he will be back tho...and where!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I could see a Neil Delamere/Anton Savage style show alright, just not on Newstalk. The whole thing just wouldn't seem like a good, long-term fit for either.

leggo wrote: »
    I could see a Neil Delamere/Anton Savage style show alright, just not on Newstalk. The whole thing just wouldn't seem like a good, long-term fit for either.

Doesn't look like the RedFM show is coming to an end anytime soon, going live from tomorrow morning! Also I know there was some interview with Foley on KC's show last week so maybe they announced he's staying then...

https://twitter.com/kcshowcork/status/786994645167407104

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Would it be possible that he will now be doing his red fm show from news talk studios? Are red fm anyway linked to comunicorp?

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Would it be possible that he will now be doing his red fm show from news talk studios? Are red fm anyway linked to comunicorp?

I don't think there is a link there at all but maybe they made a deal to use one of their studios to broadcast from Dublin...not a bad shout that actually!

Well newstalk and redfm had a studio in opera lane for a while so while there might not be a direct link obviously the lines of communication are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Wish he'd do another night time network. Hasn't been any the past while

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Obrieski wrote: »
    Wish he'd do another night time network. Hasn't been any the past while

I know last one was a month ago. I'm hoping he hasn't done one as he's busy with something else coming up and not out of laziness haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Howard100

I listened to it last Saturday, was 100% live sounded great. Even tho you can still hear him ' looking around' for someone to bounce with, i think he sounds super as a solo presenter.

Have to hand it to RedFM, they are killing it in Cork. Incredible turnaround in only a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Howard100 wrote: »
    I listened to it last Saturday, was 100% live sounded great. Even tho you can still hear him ' looking around' for someone to bounce with, i think he sounds super as a solo presenter.

Have to hand it to RedFM, they are killing it in Cork. Incredible turnaround in only a few years.

What time on Saturday? I haven't listened as of it as I knew it was voice tracked but if they got him on red from 2:30 in the day I could stop listening to Fergal Darcy

Foley has been back in Newstalk again folks....

Foley has been back in Newstalk again folks....

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Loughc wrote: »
    Link?

They know someone working there, so it's rumour. (That's not to say I doubt you jezzer, s'just until there's actually hard evidence everyone should take the info with a pinch of salt)

They know someone working there, so it's rumour. (That's not to say I doubt you jezzer, s'just until there's actually hard evidence everyone should take the info with a pinch of salt)

Well if he is live on Saturdays now maybe he is just using the Newstalk studio as suggested and has to record promos for during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

How can he be live in cork when he's in Dublin on a Friday night for the 7 o clock show.

ofcork wrote: »
    How can he be live in cork when he's in Dublin on a Friday night for the 7 o clock show.
    He could be using the same set up that tubs used when he was doing the BBC radio 2 show.

The redfm show is Saturday morning not Friday.

ofcork wrote: »

Like suggested above, by using a Dublin studio to broadcast the show live...hence why he might be in and around Newstalk lately...

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    Link?

someone i know is contracting there in a professional capacity

Advertisement