Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

liam7831 wrote: »
    What happened to KC

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057712426

Red Fm needed a big name to replace KC and Ray Foley definitely fits the bill.

But If Rays family stay up in Dublin I cant see him doing the job long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

I think its a good solution for Foley for 12 months maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

His thing didn't even vaguely work in Dublin despite being popular nationally. My guess is we're going to find it doesn't work in cities at all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

L1011 wrote: »
    His thing didn't even vaguely work in Dublin despite being popular nationally. My guess is we're going to find it doesn't work in cities at all now.

IMO it'll depend on how he works with someone other than JP. Maybe having a new cohost will allow him to reinvent himself a bit?

EDIT: Must be a bit weird for Foley and KC though. They seemed to get on very well at Today FM and KC brought Ray to RED in the first place. Must be strange that they're now direct rivals.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    IMO it'll depend on how he works with someone other than JP. Maybe having a new cohost will allow him to reinvent himself a bit?

EDIT: Must be a bit weird for Foley and KC though. They seemed to get on very well at Today FM and KC brought Ray to RED in the first place. Must be strange that they're now direct rivals.

Don't know about the thread name change...I think most people on here will just talk Foley in general, the past and future and not necessarily Ray and Jay unless they podcast the show...

On the KC thing...Foley went out of his way to mention him yesterday morning...probably too many times for station managements liking:

https://www.facebook.com/corksredfm/videos/10154436060377060/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Don't think the thread name change was needed at all!

Thread title is just to make it clear that discussion of the new show goes here, rather than starting a new thread and keeping this for discussion of Foley himself. Not strictly necessary, but the thread has always been titled with the name of his show. If it causes confusion down the line, I'll revert it back.

Is it 6 or 7 they start? I thought they said 7am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Ray won't be too happy if it's 6am haha.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Is it 6 or 7 they start? I thought they said 7am

Said 6 in the articles I was reading last night anyway. I'd imagine that they'll do something similar to 98 where the first half hour is repeats from the day before or something.

Gonna be weird listening to Red FM again. I haven't really listened since KC and Lenny left and Victor Barry moved to mid-mornings and Stevie G was axed. Granted I no longer live in Cork, but still! :pac:

• Advertisement

Ray won't be too happy if it's 6am haha.

Could have sworn they said 7am Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

IUA14 wrote: »
    I think its a good solution for Foley for 12 months maybe!

Or maybe it's the only solution? Unless he can get a gig on 2fm or one of the local stations in and around Dublin, he has nowhere to go. He's in a business where they can forget about you very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Or maybe it's the only solution? Unless he can get a gig on 2fm or one of the local stations in and around Dublin, he has nowhere to go. He's in a business where they can forget about you very quickly.

The only solution. If 2fm wanted him they would have gone after him over the last year. He's not popular in Dublin, so that rules out all Dublin options. He's too old for Iradio or spin south west so his only remaining option with a half decent listenership is Cork. I agree it's purely a short term option for him, you can't have a young family and work in a different part of the country. Good luck to him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Horse84

This will be Jay's third breakfast partnership on Red if I'm not mistaken. This particular show will be fairly short lived as well i feel.
    Don't find him particularly funny or engaging to be quite honest. Was a massive fan of foley and jp at today fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

The fact that the show isn't even named after Foley just goes to show how much of a yesterday's man he is.

The fact that the show isn't even named after Foley just goes to show how much of a yesterday's man he is.

Really? His weekend show on Red FM was titled "The Ray Foley Show" as it was him fronting it and I'm sure there was some brand recognition value attached to it. Whereas with the breakfast show all that is changing with the show it seems is that he is taking KC's spot...it will be him and Jay as a duo...most likely for 12 months. "Breakfast with RAY and Jay" isn't named after him? As someone said above Jay has been part of 3 breakfast shows so for continuity it probably makes sense to push that he is still there for loyal listeners who may be wary of change. But sure if they had called it The Ray Foley Show I'm sure a ton of people would have been taking shots at how up his own hole he is etc. Can't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

JP played a huge part in all of the comedy bits and put so much work into making the shows great. I'm sure Jay will be a really good co-host too, but I think Ray and JP's relationship is what made the old shows special.

And obviously it will take Ray and Jay a few months to gel together too. I think this show could be very different to what we've heard in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

zetalambda wrote: »

The response to that video is surprisingly positive. I know it's a small sample size, but I was expecting more outrage.

Love the comment on it who's "really upset that Colm is gone from Breakfast" though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Another red room of doom! Hopeful this goes well for him and he gets​ back on a national/Dublin station at some stage.

• Advertisement

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Another red room of doom! Hopeful this goes well for him and he gets​ back on a national/Dublin station at some stage.

Have the app downloaded anyways! First time in a long time I wont be just listening to podcasts in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Only caught about 15 minutes this morning. Foley is sounding in great form and seemed to take ownership of the slot. He was funny, already taking the píss out of the Red FM management and having jokey digs at KC. He was also joking about being annoyed the show wasn't named after him.

Jay seemed to be very quiet, to the point where Ray was encouraging him to speak!

I have listened to Chris Moyles in the morning since Foley left 98. The one major major downfall is the music on Red FM.. It's not Foleys fault, but it's a pain in comparison to Radio X which plays decent enough music.

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Only caught about 15 minutes this morning. Foley is sounding in great form and seemed to take ownership of the slot. He was funny, already taking the píss out of the Red FM management and having jokey digs at KC. He was also joking about being annoyed the show wasn't named after him.

Jay seemed to be very quiet, to the point where Ray was encouraging him to speak!

I have listened to Chris Moyles in the morning since Foley left 98. The one major major downfall is the music on Red FM.. It's not Foleys fault, but it's a pain in comparison to Radio X which plays decent enough music.

Caught the show between 6:30 and 8:15 this morning and enjoyed it. Dead right, Foley was in great form with a few light-hearted digs and he took the piss out of himself!

Can't believe that chap Jay was late on day 1 arriving in at 6:40...

Music is what you would expect from ''Cork's Hit Music Station''...similar to FM104 in that regard unfortunately.

Only caught about an hour this morning (6 until just when they were starting the papers after the 7am news). I think it's going to take a bit of time to bed in. The show felt a bit... undercooked? Like, it feels like they just trying to shove it out there to get ahead of KC's move to 96 and it shows. No specific imaging, the fact that at 6 Ray just kinda... appeared and started hosting. No real fanfare or "Hey! This is a new show!" vibe.

Himself and Jay don't sound comfortable with each other, but that's to be expected.

I did enjoy Foley's pop at his wife and mother that he'd been on Red for 9 months and they were only now getting the app, and the whole "pots and pans drawer" thing was pretty hilarious.

All in all, pretty much what I expected from a first show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Listened in from 6:30-8 this morning. It had a good few laughs in it. Given time for them to gel I can see it doing well. lt'll take a while to see what direction it'll go in. I enjoyed the chatty bits. Something he wasn't allowed do much of in 98fm.

The Jay fella sounds like a decent sort too. Kind of like a culchie version of jp! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Is the show available as a podcast?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

buster180 wrote: »

It is on the RedFM app. I wonder will Ray start uploading to SoundCloud like he used to do for his 98 and TodayFM shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Red FM has improved a lot. I started listening to it, (mostly in the car, going to and from work, in preference to 96FM, about 5 years ago. Never, ever listen to Neil Prendeville (by choice) on either station. Enjoyed KC, so will be moving back to 96 FM now that he's moving there.

buster180 wrote: »

http://www.redfm.ie/on-air/podcasts/breakfast-with-ray-and-jay/

I assume they will get around to an iTunes podcast for it or Foley using his SoundCloud. Just listened to the podcast there for the parts I missed this morning...as first shows go thought it was good, really enjoyed it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Cheers for the link. Can't listen in the mornings but will put it on after D&D

Advertisement