Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

lads... The show has started off brilliantly BUT the music is completely.....correction mostly....... RUBBISH. DNCE Cake by the ocean? alot of it seems like filler!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

MrMac84 wrote: »
    lads... The show has started off brilliantly BUT the music is completely.....correction mostly....... RUBBISH. DNCE Cake by the ocean? alot of it seems like filler!!

I'm actually enjoying the music, it's not just a generic mix of the top 20 charts, for example this morning he played a pink song that is over a year old and at around 6:45 every morning he plays a classic like this morning was baby give it up and yesterday was two can play at that game.
    Already looking forward to Monday's show.

I'm actually enjoying the music, it's not just a generic mix of the top 20 charts, for example this morning he played a pink song that is over a year old and at around 6:45 every morning he plays a classic like this morning was baby give it up and yesterday was two can play at that game.
    Already looking forward to Monday's show.

Yes playing older chart that you haven't heard is great. Playing stuff thats only just gone out of the charts is annoying as, in my opinion its been played to death. Just a little more variety be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Yeah the music is pretty crap. The thread seems positive so far anyway. It is just us Foley fans posting though - I wonder what "other" people make of him so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I doubt the lads have much say in the playlist choice to be fair, same as most stations. That's the best thing about listening back to the podcasts, no music. Enjoying them so far anyway, great to hear Foley in a regular slot again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Listening back to today's podcast, did someone feck off early because it's Friday and not bother editing the second half?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Listening back to today's podcast, did someone feck off early because it's Friday and not bother editing the second half?

Thought that myself. Bit lazy!

As for the music, its what I expected, as I said before "Cork's Hit Music Station"...its the FM104 of Cork when it comes to the music...but FM104 edges it slightly with random gems. We all know Foley would rather be playing either ridiculously cheesy stuff or the likes of Foo Fighters/Elbow/Bloc Party...but probably a bit too much to ask for free rein of a playlist for a station that has resurrected itself the last few years playing what its playing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Thought it was Foley's way of having his usual 30 minutes of music on Friday. Was it called Foley's Friday Fix

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

garbeth wrote: »
    Thought it was Foley's way of having his usual 30 minutes of music on Friday. Was it called Foley's Friday Fix

Foleys Friday Mix where he'd mix the spend the last 30 minutes of the shows mixing some tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

jackmcc wrote: »
    That and the one from Gay Byrne's old radio show #MemberBerries

Member ...

The other always reminds me of going on an adventure!... anyone have a recording or know what's its called?

• Advertisement

The other always reminds me of going on an adventure!... anyone have a recording or know what's its called?

Happy bed #47*

*the above may or may not be true!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Happy bed #47*

*the above may or may not be true!

got my hopes up then .... then I realised. hangs head in shame for not catching on

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jackmcc

Loughc wrote: »
    garbeth wrote: »

Foleys Friday Mix where he'd mix the spend the last 30 minutes of the shows mixing some tunes.
    Oh yea, I'd love a Friday (or Monday) mashup. He always got to stick a few 90s classics in there.

It does seem that there is far less of the "Morning Radio Must Haves" which ruined the 98fm show. IMHO he doesn't need that crap to keep people tuning in. Cash calls, name that sound, feckin scratch cards, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Have listened to a few of the podcasts and it is so great to have Ray back in a regular slot. Compared to the last year of the 98 show, it's like listening to a different person nearly. He seems much more into it and happy. I know it's the new job honeymoon period and it probably won't last long once the whole commuting/living away from his family starts to get in on him. But at the moment I'm really enjoying what I've heard so far. Jay seems like a bit of craic too which is adding to the positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

Loads of people work away from home during the week and commute back for the weekend. It's not ideal or easy but neither is it impossible.

The Skit with the fugitive this morning was outstanding!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The Philomena Beggly thing was gas as well. "I've just played Philomena Beggly on Cork's Hit Music Station. Anything can happen now lads!" :pac:

Honestly, I really hope the show is allowed to develop as is, and management don't try and reign it in and make it more and more structured. Today was my first day listening live (got an internet radio on Friday), and tbh the show felt like an entire show feels like the 6:30am links from 98.

But look, the 98 show started like that too, and gradually over time it got more and more restricted, more and more cliched (secret sound, *shudder*) and more and more competition packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Im listening to the podcast now and I did laugh at the Australian restaurant bit. Jay sounds like he might actually choke laughing at ray.

Had to laugh at the gym story from Foley this morning...been there felt that. Really enjoying the show and have to say love the use of the old beds! Especially the one to end the show that use to lead into the National Lunchtime News! Does seem to be enjoying it! The fugitive thing was brilliant, completely ripped the piss out of it! Long may it continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Better than the KC show just wish Jay could tone down the laughter a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

vince wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree at all. KC is a huge loss.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

vince wrote: »

Does Jay contribute anything other than the annoying chuckling? I honestly can't tell what he brings to the table, he doesn't contribute to stories he doesn't throw out bants he literally just giggles to everything Ray says.

If he stopped coming in you wouldn't notice. Ray is doing great tho. Really sounds like he's having a laugh doing the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Loughc wrote: »
    Does Jay contribute anything other than the annoying chuckling? I honestly can't tell what he brings to the table, he doesn't contribute to stories he doesn't throw out bants he literally just giggles to everything Ray says.

If he stopped coming in you wouldn't notice. Ray is doing great tho. Really sounds like he's having a laugh doing the show.

Jay contributes nothing but a giggling backing track, because this is 100% the Ray show. Ray has also got himself a Cork accent, whether he's doing it on purpose or not I don't know, but every so often you can hear a definite Cork lilt.

reg114 wrote: »
    Jay contributes nothing but a giggling backing track, because this is 100% the Ray show. Ray has also got himself a Cork accent, whether he's doing it on purpose or not I don't know, but every so often you can hear a definite Cork lilt.

I think Jay is doing the prep work behind the scenes...the stories they talk about, the news bits from the papers and gossip etc. Ray reads it but every now and again you'll hear the 'whats this' in his voice. With regard to on air, Jay is there as someone Ray can bounce off...he works better when he is actually talking to someone or has someone with him than alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Some observations:

- The incessant giggling is really annoying, but I'm willing to give it a pass for now, and assume it's just Jay trying to stay in the picture on air while he and Ray develop more chemistry and figure out how to best interact with each other on air. Realistically, they've been working together for a month, it'll take time for it to sound more natural.
    - Ray really sounds like he's enjoying it. He's even taking the piss out of management already ("Dave Mac will love this!" this morning taking the piss out of the script thing was gas). Whether or not he still will be in three months time when the early mornings and living away from his family start to take a toll? We'll have to wait and see. But for now, it's sounding great.
    - I think the show is lacking something. I know people will roll their eyes when I say this, but I feel like they need a recurring segment or two. At the moment it's a very loose chatty show (which is great, don't get me wrong), but I think they need something like Gift Grub/The Gauntlet/Feedback/Newbusters, etc. But again, it's really early days so I'm sure these'll come with time.
    - One thing I really like is that the newsreaders all seem to be well up for having a bit of craic with him before/after the news occasionally. I like that this seems to just be happening organically (although I'm sure there's work behind the scenes).

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

I think the giggling just sounds illy and has turned me off the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

He's gigging less now than he did before. The shows sounding good. As much as KC was big at Red I don't think he will be as big a loss as if it was niel prenderville who left. Will be interesting to see how KC does at 96 fm they better give him a free rein.

The show is great! Love him taken shots at others in Red and KC in good jest! Deffo agree they need a couple of funny features to help the show along. Not like kids in the car but as said above maybe the gaunlet or something.

Another idea would be to involve the news & sport readers more...

What about having Ruairi and Ray face off in a quiz? Maybe Ruairi asking Ray Sport questions and Ray asking him questions on...emmmmm... beer or reality TV or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Speaking of newsreader quizzes, i now have the Seven Days quiz jingle in my head. DING DONG DING DONG

• Advertisement

Speaking of newsreader quizzes, i now have the Seven Days quiz jingle in my head. DING DONG DING DONG

DING DONG Euphoria Intensifies

Now there's a jingle and bed I wouldn't mind having an ole listen to

Advertisement