Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

DING DONG Euphoria Intensifies

Now there's a jingle and bed I wouldn't mind having an ole listen to

Deeno on news ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Deeno on news ftw

Deeno and Phil...dream team!

The Fugitive this morning was brilliant, had me in stitches "driven to total vexation, a flagging Cork radio station were faced with terminal stagnation so they had a peculiar notion they decided their life saving potion was to roll out that same old promotion..." :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

IUA14 wrote: »
    Deeno and Phil...dream team!

The Fugitive this morning was brilliant, had me in stitches "driven to total vexation, a flagging Cork radio station were faced with terminal stagnation so they had a peculiar notion they decided their life saving potion was to roll out that same old promotion..." :P

Were they on today?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Were they on today?

I've not listened but there is a podcast from today. I was listening to adele roberts and scott mills this AM.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've not listened but there is a podcast from today. I was listening to adele roberts and scott mills this AM.

Just got it I'll listen in the gym
    Tomorrow

• Advertisement

Just got it I'll listen in the gym
    Tomorrow

You mean raymond ? Not the beeb wireless 1 ? I have to say the no ads on the beeb is a good selling point.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    You mean raymond ? Not the beeb wireless 1 ? I have to say the no ads on the beeb is a good selling point.

Yup I mean the king

:D the stevie wonder joke on Thursday podcast was very funny. I have to say I laughed with stevie wonder not at him.

Aoife this morning ''Why are you calling...it's still not you''...had me in stitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Aoife this morning ''Why are you calling...it's still not you''...had me in stitches!

It was brilliant. Was the hell was she thinking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 corcaigh_abu

The new show definitely sounds like what the 98 one was supposed to be. Unfortunately Jay just isn't JP. I know it'll take a bit of time to start generating the quality of content that Ray (or JP/Ann) used to produce but it's just disappointing that had they been left to their own, the 98 show could have been pretty decent. One of the old today fm clips popped up on my YouTube feed the other day. That show is timeless and the ease and confidence at which the team used to work is startling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

The new show definitely sounds like what the 98 one was supposed to be. Unfortunately Jay just isn't JP. I know it'll take a bit of time to start generating the quality of content that Ray (or JP/Ann) used to produce but it's just disappointing that had they been left to their own, the 98 show could have been pretty decent. One of the old today fm clips popped up on my YouTube feed the other day. That show is timeless and the ease and confidence at which the team used to work is startling.

I would love to tell you that Ray, JP & Ann will never present a show together on national radio together again and you need to move on and appreciate the fantastic show that we have right now on all four of your identical posts but I just couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Ray kept saying that today (21/4/17) was his last day doing the breakfast on Red FM, was he being serious?

mikeym wrote: »
    Ray kept saying that today (21/4/17) was his last day doing the breakfast on Red FM, was he being serious?

Wasnt that just taken the mick after he messed up the competition yesterday and then gave away the instagrand money to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

For anyone complaining about Jays incessant laughing and giggling there was a period this morning from roughly 6:45 to 7:15 where Jay was missing and Ray actually tried to laugh at some if his own comments, it was a bit cringey but it also highlighted the need for a co-host for him to feed off and in a way encourage him to keep going.

He's definitely a far better host in a team and there's no resemblance between this show and the Saturday morning show he did solo, this is streets ahead and I'm loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

For anyone complaining about Jays incessant laughing and giggling there was a period this morning from roughly 6:45 to 7:15 where Jay was missing and Ray actually tried to laugh at some if his own comments, it was a bit cringey but it also highlighted the need for a co-host for him to feed off and in a way encourage him to keep going.

He's definitely a far better host in a team and there's no resemblance between this show and the Saturday morning show he did solo, this is streets ahead and I'm loving it.

Agreed. My alarm goes off at 6:30 and it's really nice to have something on the radio that I'm looking forward to hearing these days.

What I'd say about Jay is that if he could scale back the laughing by 20% I wouldn't have an issue with it. It's just, at times, it feels very forced. Like, it's a bit irritating when Ray is telling a story which is amusing but not hilarious and Jay is giggling like a mad-man in the background.

It's not something that's turning me off the show, and Jay is really growing on me. He was really funny during the EZ Quiz this morning, and him and Ray really seem to be gelling.

The giggling for no reason is something they've obviously picked up on as every time the fugitive rings in he mocks jay calling him chuckles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

When did Jay say he was JP/Ann

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

early bi.... from a previous life .. lol ..

now Ray.. Bring back reasons to be cheerful.. i won a tenner on a scratchcard...

Well I think this battle of the breakfast shows in Cork will make for some great radio! So Foley and Jay's starting point is 47,000 which is a dead tie to what 96FM had this book also. Strangely enough Breakfast on Red FM is beaten by all other daytime shows on the station in audience...wonder if that will change. I think there will be a lot more piss taking like there has been with The Fugitive so happy days!

Interestingly, looking back to a previous life, 98FM has fallen back again and is only 3,000 listeners ahead of where Foley was in Q4 2015, and 4,000 below his peak at the station. Still a disaster zone of a station by all accounts.

• Advertisement

Well I think this battle of the breakfast shows in Cork will make for some great radio! So Foley and Jay's starting point is 47,000 which is a dead tie to what 96FM had this book also. Strangely enough Breakfast on Red FM is beaten by all other daytime shows on the station in audience...wonder if that will change. I think there will be a lot more piss taking like there has been with The Fugitive so happy days!

Interestingly, looking back to a previous life, 98FM has fallen back again and is only 3,000 listeners ahead of where Foley was in Q4 2015, and 4,000 below his peak at the station. Still a disaster zone of a station by all accounts.

Did he hear 96 fire back today with their own "chosen one" promo?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Loughc;103133878

I use overcast podcast player. It's free on iOS just click add URL and paste this link;

http://www.redfm.ie/on-air/podcasts/945142.xml

Download and enjoy.

Thanks a million for this recommendation! I've been using it since, and wouldn't be able to hear the show otherwise. It's great to hear Ray back on the radio, and back to his old rambling, cheerful self. Given free rein, he makes great radio! I only wish the podcasts were longer; 40ish minutes is not enough!

Lads his show so far is very very good! About 8/10 radio imo. Only thing missing imo is 1 r 2 more regular features like newsbusters or a Ray v Jay quiz on a Friday or stuff like those (doesn't have to be identical to his old features just a few more interactive bits! Look at the fugitive stuff that was excellent!

Lads his show so far is very very good! About 8/10 radio imo. Only thing missing imo is 1 r 2 more regular features like newsbusters or a Ray v Jay quiz on a Friday or stuff like those (doesn't have to be identical to his old features just a few more interactive bits! Look at the fugitive stuff that was excellent!

Yeah I agree...I guess all that will come with time as they settle in more. Would love a bloody NTN tho...Christ alive its been too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Best red fm breakfast show to date. Something different most mornings. Listening more than ever before. Can't see an exodus to KC when he returns to the radio soon. Foley defo more fun and off the cuff.

vince wrote: »
    Best red fm breakfast show to date. Something different most mornings. Listening more than ever before. Can't see an exodus to KC when he returns to the radio soon. Foley defo more fun and off the cuff.

Nah, as good and all as it is, it still has a long way to go to topping Red Rooster with KC and Lenny tbh.

I've nothing new to say really. It's coming on in leaps and bounds, Jay seems to be gradually contributing more, it's light and fun, decent music. I'd like it if Ray used a bit more bedding music. Some of the links where he doesn't use it feel a bit weird to me, but maybe I'm just overly used to him using beds and I'll get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

got to listen for the first time this morning. Wasn't able to give my full attention but Ray sounded very comfortable and in good form. Standard music set list but that be helped. At least I didn't hear Pink!

Very few ad breaks on the show? It seemed like there was only one in half an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Nah, as good and all as it is, it still has a long way to go to topping Red Rooster with KC and Lenny tbh.

Was Red Rooster that different to their Today FM show because that wasn't a scratch on any of Foley's shows, including the current one imo

Synode wrote: »
    Was Red Rooster that different to their Today FM show because that wasn't a scratch on any of Foley's shows, including the current one imo

Very different. At the time, Red rooster was the best breakfast show in the country. They never really got going on Today FM.

I think it helped that Red FM in general was really good at that time. They'd KC and Lenny, Stevie G and Victor Barry doing great stuff, and Dave Mac and Philip Burke doing solid daytime stuff. I believe they were proper aiming at the younger audience in them days though, as opposed to the more broad appeal they have now challenging 96.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Only catching up on this weeks podcasts. In stitches at Tuesday's monologue about Jay asking Ray to the pub. Show is really great. Excellent to have Foley back and I'm warming to Jay a lot.

Edit: the whole of Tuesday's show was excellent.

Advertisement