Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

151000 or 156000, still better than Colm Hayes and Hector. Far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

I'd say they dropped anyway, because he made no mention of it on air come Friday like he has on previous occasions.

I'd imagine he's still the king of the afternoons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lippy C

I find the show highly annoying and I dont know why :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I was listening to it there on Friday. First time I've heard it properly in ages.
    Aw hell, I still enjoy all the messing :)
    I was near tears listening to Feedback :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jar18

cant stand him. must have the biggest head in the british isles as a dj. nothing but bumming and blowing his own trumpet all the time. as soon as he come on all of us at work turn him off...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

jar18 wrote: »
    cant stand him. must have the biggest head in the british isles as a dj. nothing but bumming and blowing his own trumpet all the time. as soon as he come on all of us at work turn him off...

God can people not understand that its part of the show? Do you just ignore when Foley talks about his tv shows in a mostly critical manner. The shows tagline is “just a bit of fun for your lunchtime“, its not meant to be taken seriously!

I was listening to it there on Friday. First time I've heard it properly in ages.
    Aw hell, I still enjoy all the messing :)
    I was near tears listening to Feedback :D

Feedback is pure comedy gold! Thee funniest radio feature in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Aren't his listnership figures 156,000 ?

I'm guessing that's because people who are listening are usually working and can't always switch the radio station.

I was going to start a thread about this today but then realised chances are there was going to be one already.

I mean really, who finds this idiot amusing?

It's the most base and purile conversation and topics, complete mindless jabber from all three of them, I spend most of my time in working giving the radio the finger (subtly).

I really think a monkey with a button full of sounds effects in front of it would be more skilled.

He and them are a waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

gypsy_rose wrote: »
    I'm guessing that's because people who are listening are usually working and can't always switch the radio station.

I was going to start a thread about this today but then realised chances are there was going to be one already.

I mean really, who finds this idiot amusing?

It's the most base and purile conversation and topics, complete mindless jabber from all three of them, I spend most of my time in working giving the radio the finger (subtly).

I really think a monkey with a button full of sounds effects in front of it would be more skilled.

He and them are a waste of space.

I find him amusing. And the show has genuinely funny features which you seem to have glossed over here. The gauntlet, Feedback, DJ J-OH, etc, etc.

As for it being basic topics, I hate have to be the one to point this out to you, BUT THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF THE SHOW!!! "The Ray Foley Show, Just a bit Of Fun for Your Lunchtime, Nothing Too Serious"
    If you want serious topics, I suggest Newstalk, Radio 1, the last hour of Colm Hayes.

Podcast was good today, funny the way they were trying not to swear for the dear little kiddies who might become murderers if they hear the word ****. :)

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I find him amusing. And the show has genuinely funny features which you seem to have glossed over here. The gauntlet, Feedback, DJ J-OH, etc, etc.

As for it being basic topics, I hate have to be the one to point this out to you, BUT THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF THE SHOW!!! "The Ray Foley Show, Just a bit Of Fun for Your Lunchtime, Nothing Too Serious"
    If you want serious topics, I suggest Newstalk, Radio 1, the last hour of Colm Hayes.

Podcast was good today, funny the way they were trying not to swear for the dear little kiddies who might become murderers if they hear the word ****. :)

Hey i resent that! I love base humour, when it's smart, his is just childish and really his whole show is totally condescending, I find it an insult that this is marketed as a popular show. There really is much smarter, funnier and more imaginative stuff out there, if this is the comedy highlight of your day I really feel sorry for you :P

• Advertisement

gypsy_rose wrote: »
    Hey i resent that! I love base humour, when it's smart, his is just childish and really his whole show is totally condescending, I find it an insult that this is marketed as a popular show. There really is much smarter, funnier and more imaginative stuff out there, if this is the comedy highlight of your day I really feel sorry for you :P

Hey, what can I say? My day sucks. :P (It's funny 'cos it's true.... :( )

No, in seriousness, there are no doubt smarter shows out there. But, if we compare the shows on the main National stations at that time:

Radio 1:
    12:00-1:00 Ronan Collins - (Never heard so can't say whether this is a viable alternative, but I highly doubt it from what I know of him)
    1:00-1:45 News at One - CA and politics
    1:45-3:00 Liveline - Er....I'm not touching this one 'cos I can't be polite about Joe Duffy.....

2FM:
    11:00-1:00 Colm Hayes - Very talk heavy show, deals with Gerry Ryan-esque issues.
    1:00-2:00 Larry Gogan - Not exactly "down wid da kidz" to be fair. IMO not really viable alternative.
    2:00-4:30 Rick O'Shea - Not a bad alternative I suppose, though I enjoyed his show more when he was doing the 2:30-5:00 slot.

Newstalk:
    12:00-1:30 Lunchtime - CA and politics
    1:30-4:30 Sean Moncrieffe - A presenter I enjoy immensely, and a real alternative if Foley is doing a piece you don't like (Eg. A ****e interview with Jedward) and he does cover interesting topics and has good guests, but doesn't play music and can lean slightly to politics at times.

This is a long winded way of saying that Foley is, in my opinion, the best option at that time if you want something that you don't have to be listening fully to, concentrating on, or that takes itself too seriously. Now, while it's not enough to say "Oh he's the best of the worst so we should put up with it", I enjoy his show so it's not a hardship to listen.

His show really is divisive though...those that like it, like, those that don't like it, HATE it. And there seems to be no convincing either side they're wrong.

His show really is divisive though...those that like it, like, those that don't like it, HATE it. And there seems to be no convincing either side they're wrong.

You've got that right :D

Personally I find Joe Duffy inadvertently spews more comedy gold than anything else

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

... the last hour of Colm Hayes....

In fairness, you wouldn't inflict that tripe on your worst enemy!

In fairness, you wouldn't inflict that tripe on your worst enemy!

He's trying to be the same as G-Ryan I think. But let's face it, he ain't no Gerry Ryan...

Ahhhhhhhh the days of The Blast.

HA 3:19 into it:

JP - I played tennis I should be good at this....... Ray - You're gay aswell though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Does anyone have a link to the mash up he did this morning at about 10 past 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

I used to love the blast, listening to him on the way up to college in sligo from 10-12 on a sunday night, and try to listen to him everyday when i can. The only other show on the radio that i try to listen to is Newstalk Off The Ball.
    I love Foley and JP, the skits they sometimes do are classic. Feedback, Radio Jayo, Ah Ya OK was a classic game, Yesterday FM(was that what it was called), always remember the skit that led up to the song "Walking on Broken glass", golden radio..

oh god remember Yesterday FM with Larry and Gary. Meeemories.

Fago! wrote: »

Ahhhhhhhh the days of The Blast.

HA 3:19 into it:

JP - I played tennis I should be good at this....... Ray - You're gay aswell though.

Hahaha I'd forgotten that JP used to make up ****e about the person's hometown before the quiz!! :D

There probably isn't any, Foley does them himself the morning of the show I think so it's probably not online.
    I used to love the blast, listening to him on the way up to college in sligo from 10-12 on a sunday night, and try to listen to him everyday when i can. The only other show on the radio that i try to listen to is Newstalk Off The Ball.
    I love Foley and JP, the skits they sometimes do are classic. Feedback, Radio Jayo, Ah Ya OK was a classic game, Yesterday FM(was that what it was called), always remember the skit that led up to the song "Walking on Broken glass", golden radio..

The Blast was an epic show. The Bitch's Box of ****e, ahhh lads the sountrack to my Primary xchool days :)
    Yesterday FM was good, but I started to get really sick of Ah-Yeah-OK before they phased it out.

Try the podcast maybe?

• Advertisement

Try the podcast maybe?

They can't put music in the podcasts unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭footie_fanatic

awh not bad, a bit of a grower

They can't put music in the podcasts unfortunately.

Ah shit yeah forgot about that. Never mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EllieM

Honestly - do those who claim to hate the show not understand that 99% of what Ray et al say is taking the p*ss????? He is a stirrer and enjoys getting a reaction from people and I have to say I 'love the show'. I find it far more refreshing than anything else on Irish radio at the moment and wouldn't listen to anything else from 12 o clock on a weekday.
    Things I love about the show (in no particular order):

1 - The Gauntlet - sheer hilarity from start to finish...love how they get so competitive with one another

2 - Bastardgate...........no need to expand

3 - feedback - radio gold

4 - DJ J-oh (as me mother Roxy used to say....)

5 - interviews that go awry - Wagner, Bressie cursing, Jedward .....

6 - Nordy Eoin's reviews

7 - Ray's sly digs at other Dj's

8 - JP's louth accent

9 - The Podcast

10 - The fact that the show has raised SOOOOOO much for charity in the past (shave or dye, charity singles etc)

Eventhough he is a 'love or hate' kind of guy (and ya, I happen to think he rocks) You have to admit that he is original and very successful at what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

EllieM wrote: »
    Eventhough he is a 'love or hate' kind of guy (and ya, I happen to think he rocks) You have to admit that he is original and very successful at what he does. For those of you who hate........change the station.

He regurgitates sh!t he sees on family guy / internet etc.
    Nothing original or funny about him i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Very little is original in radio these days.

He regurgitates sh!t he sees on family guy / internet etc.
    Nothing original or funny about him i'm afraid.

To be fair, anything he does "regurgitate", he gives due credit, usually telling you where he got the idea. And he does have original ideas, such as the ideas for the Gauntlet. Their funniness on the other hand is subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EllieM

I am neither Anne or Adele actually - just a listener.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I just really love the show as it never fails to make me smile or laugh and just wanted to put my opinion on record so that at least there was something positive written.

Other things I love about the show:

Podcasts

The Battle of Ikea

'Spotted' stories (these are p*sstakes)

JP's striking out with women stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

he is in the public eye he doesnt like to critisised he thinks he is the best thing on radio and tv which he aint shave or dye was a radio station thing not his and the charity record remind me how much did that make was it ever annouced

• Advertisement

jjll wrote: »
    mmm new user wonder which of the team this is anne or adele???

Seriously? Please stop.

Actually, listen to his Podcast from either last Thurs or Weds, he was reading online stuff about himself, doesn't give a ****e like. He knows thst he doesn't appeal to everyone, and admit that.

Don't like it, then as he said himself on the Podcast "Then Fuck off and listen to something else!"

Show today was pretty good, Ray was having none of the Mini-Gauntlet. Like a spoilt child!

Advertisement