Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The show is up for two awards at the PPIs on friday night.

Ray himself for music broadcaster of the year.
    And the gauntlet itself is up for an award.

I could see Ray getting the music broadcaster award, though I don't think there's much hope of the Gauntlet winning if it's up against Gift Grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Just catching up on the podcasts.

Omg. John Barrowman. Legend. & ride. I wish I was JP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Where to start this...

So this year myself and my friends have been trying to have themed birthday parties.

One of my friends has asked for a J.P. themed party... Now I don't listen to Foley at all, so I'm wondering could anyone sum him up in a few words, give me an idea of what he does be on about?

And possibly, does he take random requests not unlike, "Hey, radio dude, will you write my friend a B-Day card?" :p

Yup, you did read this post correctly! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

A JP themed party??? What???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Where to start this...

So this year myself and my friends have been trying to have themed birthday parties.

One of my friends has asked for a J.P. themed party... Now I don't listen to Foley at all, so I'm wondering could anyone sum him up in a few words, give me an idea of what he does be on about?

And possibly, does he take random requests not unlike, "Hey, radio dude, will you write my friend a B-Day card?" :p

Yup, you did read this post correctly! :rolleyes:

You could dress up as a skanger pirate radio DJ and go as his alter ego "DJ Jayo" maybe.

But good golly miss molly, that is one strange theme for a party.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    A JP themed party??? What???
    You could dress up as a skanger pirate radio DJ and go as his alter ego "DJ Jayo" maybe.

But good golly miss molly, that is one strange theme for a party.

Yup! JP! The rest of us were looking at her with blank stares, until she explained herself... Then we were still looking at her with blank stares.

On recent sober questioning, on her being rather drunk at the time of deciding, she still insisted on wanting it. So here we have it...

So there's DJ Jayo, thank you! This oddly enough, helps... can put some piratey decorations about!

Any other little random thnigs about him or his personality are very welcome! Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

When I say pirate radio, I mean unlicensed radio, rather than ooh arr me hearties radio.. Just in case you turn up with an eye patch or something!

You should email them to let them know, they'd even find it strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He's blonde and from Dundalk... if that helps?

When I say pirate radio, I mean unlicensed radio, rather than ooh arr me hearties radio.. Just in case you turn up with an eye patch or something!

You should email them to let them know, they'd even find it strange.

Was thinking of emailing them about then, then wondered if they'd mention it on air when she's listening... One thing me trying to get ideas on baords, another for it to go out to a wider audience... but I am keeping it in mind!
    That_Guy wrote: »
    He's blonde and from Dundalk... if that helps?
    longshanks wrote: »
    He's like a hobbit version of Pat Kenny.

These things both give scary imagery ;)

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Was thinking of emailing them about then, then wondered if they'd mention it on air when she's listening... One thing me trying to get ideas on baords, another for it to go out to a wider audience... but I am keeping it in mind!

These things both give scary imagery ;)

Email them, but put podcast in the subject line, then and write in the email to please not read out on air. Include your number and they might ring you for the podcast only bit.

Let's say... JP...JP.... He's a blonde gay midget from Louth. :pac:
    Nah, seriously, he's a bit of a perv when it comes to the ladies going by all the stories they tell on air. Doesn't have much luck with the ladies seemingly.

Can do a mean Pat Kenny impression. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I could see Ray getting the music broadcaster award, though I don't think there's much hope of the Gauntlet winning if it's up against Gift Grub.

They won the entertainment award for the gauntlet.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    They won the entertainment award for the gauntlet.

Noice one! :D very much deserved imho.

EDIT: Aha! Mario Rosenstock got the award for "Astounding Achievement". Nice way of giving both features a nod. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Aha! Mario Rosenstock got the award for "Astounding Achievement". Nice way of giving both features a nod. :)

Small point... it was "outstanding" achievement, not "astounding"... ;)

Bard wrote: »
    Small point... it was "outstanding" achievement, not "astounding"... ;)

Cheers Captain pedantic. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Was the mystery of the roadside carcass sorted out ? Monkey or deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Was very good of them on Friday's show to give the euromillions €1000 to the girl on Foley's Friday Faceoff. She sounded so shocked.

smaoifs wrote: »
    Was very good of them on Friday's show to give the euromillions €1000 to the girl on Foley's Friday Faceoff. She sounded so shocked.

Pure sound of them in fairness, I wasn't expecting them to do it all. Way better than this "Be caller 9" ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

With the amount of hatred for Foley on here I'm surprised there hasn't been a post giving out that he gave the cash to a girl leaving the country and she wouldn't be keeping it in the local economy etc :P

batm!ke wrote: »
    With the amount of hatred for Foley on here I'm surprised there hasn't been a post giving out that he gave the cash to a girl leaving the country and she wouldn't be keeping it in the local economy etc :P

Single handedly ruining the economy so he is!!

*RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭gotapaininmy

what am I missing about this show?? I listen to D'arcy and I can't turn the radio off quick enough when Foley comes on. It only goes to show how bad other stations are that there is nothing better to listen to. Does nobody else find it exhausting listening to them constantly trying to one-up each other with smart-arse comments all of the time? They actually give me a headache and make me turn the radio off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Foley is decent. I mean he actually one of the few irish presenters that uses some personality. Even if you don't like him you should appreciate that.

Yeah fair enough he definitely does have a personality, but it just grates on me big time. I am obviously in the minority though because the guy is winning awards!! Again I think this is more a reflection of how crap other lunchtime radio shows are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

what am I missing about this show??

A sense of humour :P

Clanket wrote: »
    A sense of humour :P

My sense of humour goes beyond foley and his sidekicks repeating the same joke/line over an over and over and thinking that this is funny.

Yeah fair enough he definitely does have a personality, but it just grates on me big time. I am obviously in the minority though because the guy is winning awards!! Again I think this is more a reflection of how crap other lunchtime radio shows are.

People just have different tastes. Some people love Marian Finucane and Radio 1 and they win awards but I wouldn't listen to them if you paid me.
    Irish radio is poor overall really, I mean, if you took away Newstalk and Today FM tomorrow morning you'd probably be hard pressed to find a decent presenter on any of the other stations.
    My sense of humour goes beyond foley and his sidekicks repeating the same joke/line over an over and over and thinking that this is funny.

The Gauntlet. Point disproved. Thanks for playing. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

To quote a popular crisp ad from a few years ago

'Theres always one' :rolleyes:

Paracore wrote: »
    To quote a popular crisp ad from a few years ago

'Theres always one' :rolleyes:

There's more than one if you look back through this thread!

People just have different tastes. Some people love Marian Finucane and Radio 1 and they win awards but I wouldn't listen to them if you paid me.
    Irish radio is poor overall really, I mean, if you took away Newstalk and Today FM tomorrow morning you'd probably be hard pressed to find a decent presenter on any of the other stations.

The Gauntlet. Point disproved. Thanks for playing. :pac:

I've never heard the Gauntlet section of the show, i've turned it off before that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

what am I missing about this show?? I listen to D'arcy and I can't turn the radio off quick enough when Foley comes on. It only goes to show how bad other stations are that there is nothing better to listen to. Does nobody else find it exhausting listening to them constantly trying to one-up each other with smart-arse comments all of the time? They actually give me a headache and make me turn the radio off.

I am the same. Cannot change the station quickly enough. He is not funny. Quite boring actaully. He appeals to the lowest common denominator. His listener's would'nt have the cop-on to question the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

Clanket wrote: »
    Congratulations. You just posted the stupidest comment I've seen yet.

Why don't you go tell Joe about it.

You have just proved my point!

Advertisement