Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

I only get to listen by podcast, so I don't know any more than Ray is gone to Wexford...or is it Wicklow. No matter. Anyone know how long he will be off for? That I'll have to be podcast-less :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I only get to listen by podcast, so I don't know any more than Ray is gone to Wexford...or is it Wicklow. No matter. Anyone know how long he will be off for? That I'll have to be podcast-less :(

Jumping to the assumption that he'll probably be back tuesday after the long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ten days was mentioned by foley some time during last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

he posted something about airport hassle last week on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

He's definitely out of the country anyways. I think he said Spain or something along those lines.

That's when he was pondering whether he could give someone else his vote.

• Advertisement

He's definitely out of the country anyways. I think he said Spain or something along those lines.

That's when he was pondering whether he could give someone else his vote.

Oh you're dead right. Had forgotten about that actually. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Really enjoying the show this week. Kc hasn't been left on his lonesome and Ann and Adelle are in the studio so seems to be good flow to the show and all seem to get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Congrats Foley.

He just said himself and the wife are having a baby.

Please don't turn in to a Darcy!

Congrats Foley.

He just said himself and the wife are having a baby.

Please don't turn in to a Darcy!

GWAN FOLEY!!!
    Guess we know what they were up to in Spain! (or wherever he was on holiday.)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    GWAN FOLEY!!!
    Guess we know what they were up to in Spain! (or wherever he was on holiday.)

He said she's 4 or 5 months pregnant but only started telling people recently... I think.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    He said she's 4 or 5 months pregnant but only started telling people recently... I think.

Ah cool. A little mini-Foley running around. :D

So I guess he now has content for the next 4-5months at least. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GKiraly

be interesting today to hear what the mayo man has to say bout Jennifer Maguires wonderful pop at him last night on republic of telly.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

What was the pop?

Clanket wrote: »
    What was the pop?

She was at comic-con talking to a load of wierdos and said "Gee, I haven't been that freaked out since I met Ray Foley."

Tbh I don't get why it was necessary to say that, it wasn't even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

She was at comic-con talking to a load of wierdos and said "Gee, I haven't been that freaked out since I met Ray Foley."

Tbh I don't get why it was necessary to say that, it wasn't even funny.

Meh. Did he mention it on the show? JP will probably bring it up on Feedback on Friday and they'll all take the piss out of it.

He tends to take a lot of that stuff in his stride. In fairness I'm sure they've taken the Mickey out of her on the show before as well.

Meh. Did he mention it on the show? JP will probably bring it up on Feedback on Friday and they'll all take the piss out of it.

He tends to take a lot of that stuff in his stride. In fairness I'm sure they've taken the Mickey out of her on the show before as well.

True. Twas nothing really malicious anyway, more just a piss take. Must listen to today's show now and see if they said anything.

Have to say, really laughed at the Dawson's Creek piece today. :pac: :pac:

Definitely worth downloading the podcast for. :)

Feck it anyway!!!! Christmas song on the 18th of November? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Multi baby max. :pac:

That_Guy wrote: »
    Multi baby max. :pac:

"Your child is exposed to Justin Bieber at least 24 times a day. "
    "24...."
    "That's ten times a second.."
    "Baaaad maths!"

F*ckin' excellent! :pac:

Gonna have to upload those Gauntlets to youtube at the weekend if I get time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Is it wrong that i want to punch Foley until i see blood come out his ears?

He is like that annoying lad in the back of the class in secondary that just wouldn't shut the funk up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Access wrote: »
    Is it wrong that i want to punch Foley until i see blood come out his ears?

He is like that annoying lad in the back of the class in secondary that just wouldn't shut the funk up.

Its a radio show. It would be a bit of a disaster for the host to never talk. Lots of people love the show. If you don't then change the channel.

Its a radio show. It would be a bit of a disaster for the host to never talk. Lots of people love the show. If you don't then change the channel.

Done.

Still want to punch him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Why does he have to play such bad, bad music on his show?

Does it all have to be such dreadful, dreadful ear screechy stuff that means switch off at midday?

Ray Foley is not funny, sometimes it can get amusing when they play on this, but it is as old and tired now as 'whassup?' kind of lines.

Bizarrely enough, he is good at interviewing people.
    When he forgets to get stupidly awestruck that is, (which would disqualify any other person from a job in the media), and goes on and on in his 'oh my god oh my god,,I've just been talking to'.... and ends up all about him. Shut up Ray. Stay in the background. You really are best there.

I cannot believe that he has gotten away with this for so long, and I suppose that is the premise of the whole show. "HUH UH. Check us out kings of the afternoon still getting awards and getting away with pure unadulturated shytee...tee hee".

Nah. I am so used to changing stations know on the dot of midday, like many people timing the day, so won't have to hear the cacophany of untalented screeches past midday from Today fm.

Darlughda wrote: »
    "HUH UH. Check us out kings of the afternoon still getting awards and getting away with pure unadulturated shytee...tee hee".

They win awards because they make good radio.
    They win awards because they're popular.
    They stay on air because they bring in high ratings consistently for Today FM.

So your entire argument is null and void. Just because something is not to your taste doesn't make it bad.

Or, we'll take it down another route. What does it say about the standard of the alternatives if the show consistently wins awards? I'd love to know what you swithc to, because frankly, the alternatives would depress me beyond belief, whereas Foley tries to keep things as light as possible for two and a half hours a day.

They win awards because they make good radio.
    They stay on air because they bring in high ratings consistently for Today FM.

So your entire argument is null and void. Just because something is not to your taste doesn't make it bad.

Or, we'll take it down another route. What does it say about the standard of the alternatives if the show consistently wins awards? I'd love to know what you swithc to, because frankly, the alternatives would depress me beyond belief, whereas Foley tries to keep things as light as possible for two and a half hours a day.

I see your point and i raise you the fact that i still want to punch him in the face! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

They win awards because they make good radio..
    No, they don't make good radio.
    You cannot even pretend that they do. The awards they win? It's a very select inbody elite, that never ever awards any original, groundbreaking or anything different on radio. Its a sewn up "awards" pantomime, with nothing to do with what people really think.
    No. They are not. Tell me, who are they popluar with?
    They are just extremely lucky to have the slot they have. By midday, most people are busy, and they are too absorbed in their tasks before lunch to change the irritating screech off the radio, or they have no choice in the matter.
    They stay on air because they bring in high ratings consistently for Today FM...
    Bollíx. See above. They are just lucky to get away with it. For now.
    So your entire argument is null and void. Just because something is not to your taste doesn't make it bad. .
    Yes, I made the comment in my opinion. Whereas you sound like a pr lacky for the show, mates of ray the talentless by any chance?
    Or, we'll take it down another route. What does it say about the standard of the alternatives if the show consistently wins awards? .
    It worries me indeed the monopoly Denis O' Brien has over the radio/media and these 'sham' awards.
    I'd love to know what you swithc to, because frankly, the alternatives would depress me beyond belief, whereas Foley tries to keep things as light as possible for two and a half hours a day.
    I pay the extra to have BBC radio 6 and radio 4. Both of which can be extremely 'light' as you put it, without being utterly, utterly cráp and unprofessional radio.

You cannot even pretend that they do. The awards they win? It's a very select inbody elite, that never ever awards any original, groundbreaking or anything different on radio. Its a sewn up "awards" pantomime, with nothing to do with what people really think.

The Gauntlet is good radio. The interviews he does are good radio.
    He's won Meteor awards. Which were voted for by the public three years in the row.

No. They are not. Tell me, who are they popluar with?
    They are just extremely lucky to have the slot they have. By midday, most people are busy, and they are too absorbed in their tasks before lunch to change the irritating screech off the radio, or they have no choice in the matter.

So 155,000 people across the country all at one time are all sitting there seething with rage, just wishing they had the time/authority to change the station? My arse. He was the highest rated show with 166,000 listeners not so long ago.

Yes, I made the comment in my opinion. Whereas you sound like a pr lacky for the show, mates of ray the talentless by any chance?

I'm sick and ****ing tired of saying this on this thread. The last resort of detractors of the show is to say anyone who defends it is related to them or works for them. Well fine. I'll make it perfectly clear for you and anyone else who wants to accuse me of having a vested interest in the show.

I DO NOT NOW, NOR HAVE I EVER HAD ANY AFFILIATION WITH TODAYFM. I AM IN NO RELATED TO RAY FOLEY, AND HAVE NEVER MET HIM.
    There, clear enough?

I pay the extra to have BBC radio 6 and radio 4. Both of which can be extremely 'light' as you put it, without being utterly, utterly cráp and unprofessional radio.

How is it unprofessional. Please explain. I can understand that you might not like Foley's personality or presenting style, but what exactly is he doing unprofessionally on the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

OK FOLKS ENOUGH. BACK TO RADIO DISCUSSION

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

What is the definition of good radio? Is there such a thing?

It is all about personal choice, and what type of thing you are after at a certain time of the day.

In TV terms, I realise that the X Factor is by no means higbrow, and I appreciate why the vast majority would say that it is dirt. I don't watch it most of the time, but still, I have sat down plenty of times and got completely absorbed in it, just to escape ya know?

Ray Foley does what he does very well. That is his style. That is how it goes.

It may not be good radio to a lot of people, but he does what he does very well.

Advertisement