Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Darlughda wrote: »
    I pay the extra to have BBC radio 6 and radio 4. Both of which can be extremely 'light' as you put it, without being utterly, utterly cráp and unprofessional radio.

Well why don't you start a thread about them instead of giving out about other shows.

Do you actually listen to the Foley show?

If the answer is no then how did you form your opinion of the show? Are you just a haughty tauty "I listen to intelligent radio" type?

If the answer is yes then why do you listen to a show you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Loved the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo competition today. Really hope the next few days' extracts are as a good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

I have to say the Ray Foley show is pure ****e!
    I tried to listen today for more than 5 minutes. didnt last 2minutes. The show seems to revolve around nothing, well maybe Foleys ego. I'm not mad on Ray D'arcy but i go through phases of liking the show and then times were i couldnt listen for more than 10 minutes- but his show has a theme to it, foleys show is just muck. how he has a prime time radio slot is amazing- he offers nothing to radio, and he has a face you'd love to punch. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I love Ray. Now that I live in the UK I listen to today fm on my days off work because I found that English radio is ****e tbh. Listening to it makes me feel like I'm at home too :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I have to say the Ray Foley show is pure ****e!
    I tried to listen today for more than 5 minutes. didnt last 2minutes. The show seems to revolve around nothing, well maybe Foleys ego. I'm not mad on Ray D'arcy but i go through phases of liking the show and then times were i couldnt listen for more than 10 minutes- but his show has a theme to it, foleys show is just muck. how he has a prime time radio slot is amazing- he offers nothing to radio, and he has a face you'd love to punch. :cool:

He has a prime time radio slot because he's the most popular lunchtime show. Anyone who thinks Foleys' ego act is real is pretty deluded. The show basically revolves around the concept that Ann, Adelle and JP are sound and Ray is a prick. If you don't find segments like the gauntlet funny then I dunno whats wrong with your sense of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

Its a funny show, especially the sketches JP puts together.

Feedback has me in stitches laughing sometimes

Its a shw about nothing. ITs stupid and pointless, and i dont know how anyone finds it funny- oh and your remark about it being the most listened to lunch time show?? eh Joe Duffy has that crown by a country mile in listenership.

It's just a bit of fun for your lunchtime. It doesn't have to be about anything. The fact that you need it to be "about something" just shows your lack of humour.

You know what to do. Turn the station. Talk to Joe

Clanket wrote: »
    It's just a bit of fun for your lunchtime. It doesn't have to be about anything. The fact that you need it to be "about something" just shows your lack of humour.

You know what to do. Turn the station. Talk to Joe

So i cant have an opinion on the show? is this the "i love Ray Foley thread"- no!! I think the show should have some structure, not were the structure is to talk about nothing. i have humour, i think moncrieff is hilarious, i enjoy comedy. I just dont find Foley funny whatsoever.

oh and re whats made bold above i have to laugh at you, excuse me for wanting a show to be about something. Listening to a few poeple talk about nothing isnt comedy.

I bet you have an opinion on everything. And you sound like a barrell of laughs

• Advertisement

I bet you have a poster of Ray on your wall and Rub one out to the sound of his crap jokes. :D

I love The Off the Ball sports show on newstalk- never miss a minute of it, but if someone gives an opinion of not liking it i wouldnt give a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I bet you have a poster of Ray on your wall and Rub one out to the sound of his crap jokes. :D

That's mature.

A radio programme is never going to please everyone. You mention "Off the ball", which I wouldn't enjoy because I'm not much of a sports fan.

Naturally, different people find different things funny. Ray Foley is funny for a lot of people. Why else would he be in the slot he is in? Today FM for a few hours in the afternoon isn't just something to pass the time for Foley and co.

It is a money making machine. If he wasn't good at what he does, he wouldn't be there.

lol It always fascinates me how people come into the radio forum just to give out about a show they 'supposedly' don't listen to.

Reminds me of the movie Private Parts where Howard Stern's listernship became huge because everyone was listening to him - those that liked his show and those that didn't like his show, just to hear what he said so they could give out. Boggles the mind.

Would you go into a teams forum in soccer just to say you don't like them? Or what about humour. Do you go in there to tell people you don't like their jokes?

Why not stick to the Newstalk forum?

I'm all for opinions. But when they come like this I can't help but answer:
    Its a shw about nothing. ITs stupid and pointless, and i dont know how anyone finds it funny

Its a shw about nothing. ITs stupid and pointless, and i dont know how anyone finds it funny- oh and your remark about it being the most listened to lunch time show?? eh Joe Duffy has that crown by a country mile in listenership.

Joe Duffy isn't Lunchtime. Liveline doesn't start until 1:45pm according to RTE.ie so you're wrong.
    So i cant have an opinion on the show? is this the "i love Ray Foley thread"- no!! I think the show should have some structure, not were the structure is to talk about nothing. i have humour, i think moncrieff is hilarious, i enjoy comedy. I just dont find Foley funny whatsoever.

oh and re whats made bold above i have to laugh at you, excuse me for wanting a show to be about something. Listening to a few poeple talk about nothing isnt comedy.

Yes, you are entitled to an opinion. Just as those of us that like the show are entitled to debate with you why the show is good. It's up to you to put coherent points as to why you dislike the show forward. It's up to those of us that like the show to put forward coherent points as to why we like the show. Simple.

I agree with you about Moncrieffe, a great show, well worth a listen.

The show is clearly structured.

12:00-12:45:
    - Short link to start the show
    - Play a mix of songs done by Foley
    - Talk about what they did after the show yesterday/over the weekend.
    - Take a few callers
    - Play a few songs.
    - Forward sell to hour 2.
    - News.

1:00-2:00
    (Varies on different days)
    -Talk about some random stories either from their own lives or the news.
    - Do any competitions the station is running.
    - Wednesday: Talk to Nordy Eoin, movie charts/reviews/interviews.
    - The Gauntlet - Do I need to explain?
    - Fridays: Feedback, DJ J-Oh!
    - Songs
    - On Friday, forward sell to Foley's Friday Face-off.

2:00-2:30:
    - Wednesdays: Continue with Nordy
    - Friday's: Do FFF-O
    - Choose competition winners
    - Songs
    - Outros.

Seems like a pretty consistent structure to me.

Oh, and for anyone that want's them, here're The Gauntlet's from 22nd November, the guilt ad ones. Absolutely brilliant. :)

Ray's Gauntlet - 22nd November
    Ann's Gauntlet - 22nd November
    JP's Gauntlet - 22nd November
    Adelle's Gauntlet - 22nd November

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 clownman

You cant beat a bit of dj jayo

I bet you have an opinion on everything. And you sound like a barrell of laughs
    That's mature.

A radio programme is never going to please everyone. You mention "Off the ball", which I wouldn't enjoy because I'm not much of a sports fan.

Naturally, different people find different things funny. Ray Foley is funny for a lot of people. Why else would he be in the slot he is in? Today FM for a few hours in the afternoon isn't just something to pass the time for Foley and co.

It is a money making machine. If he wasn't good at what he does, he wouldn't be there.

The Reason i put up that reply was of the lovely reply i had recieved, see comment above;)
    lol It always fascinates me how people come into the radio forum just to give out about a show they 'supposedly' don't listen to.

Reminds me of the movie Private Parts where Howard Stern's listernship became huge because everyone was listening to him - those that liked his show and those that didn't like his show, just to hear what he said so they could give out. Boggles the mind.

Would you go into a teams forum in soccer just to say you don't like them? Or what about humour. Do you go in there to tell people you don't like their jokes?

Why not stick to the Newstalk forum?

I'm all for opinions. But when they come like this I can't help but answer:

I love radio, not just Newstalk or RTE, but Today FM too, i like talk radio. I do have Today fm on from listening to D'arcy and when i get in my car at lunch Ray foley does be on, and i gave it a few minutes and its just umbearable to listen to, total crap.
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy isn't Lunchtime. Liveline doesn't start until 1:45pm according to RTE.ie so you're wrong.

I agree with you about Moncrieffe, a great show, well worth a listen.

Oh, and for anyone that want's them, here're The Gauntlet's from 22nd November, the guilt ad ones. Absolutely brilliant. :)

Ray's Gauntlet - 22nd November
    Ann's Gauntlet - 22nd November
    JP's Gauntlet - 22nd November
    Adelle's Gauntlet - 22nd November

Listened to the above clips- kinda funny:pac:

I love radio, not just Newstalk or RTE, but Today FM too, i like talk radio. I do have Today fm on from listening to D'arcy and when i get in my car at lunch Ray foley does be on, and i gave it a few minutes and its just umbearable to listen to, total crap.

Listened to the above clips- kinda [url]funny:pac[/url]:

Well, at least you've tried listening to the show, which is more than a lot of ppeople who come on this forum to bitch about particular shows... the "Well, I haven't listened in years, but it's still sh*te I know it." brigade.

I'll admit, there are times when Foley is annoying, but these are rare in my view. I like that the show doesn't take itself that seriously. I think the team genuinely get on and have the craic together, which makes a difference to other shows where it sounds like it's just two people in a room that only see each other at work or at work functions. This is why the show is so popular. The alternatives are either heavy talk shows such as Lunchtime on RTE1 and Newstalk, or sh*te like 2FM.

A post earlier said the show was "about nothing". I would disagree. The show, to me anyway, is about having a laugh, not taking things too seriously and just chilling out in general.

I love talk radio, and this show has just about got the mix of music and talk that I like.

People need to realise, Foley's "arrogance" is largely an act. In the main, he is his own worst critic, he takes the piss out of Take Me Out more than anyone else, constantly makes references to what a dickhead he is, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Never miss the show,love it. People i know that don't like it generally cant grasp its not meant to be taken seriously.

I'd rather cut off my testicles with a rusty spoon then listen to Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Am I the only one having serious trouble downloading the podcast today? I don't think it's my connection, coz everything else is working fine! :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Am I the only one having serious trouble downloading the podcast today? I don't think it's my connection, coz everything else is working fine! :(

It was posted twice on itunes so there must be something wrong with the first file I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Boo-urns!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bosco's Beatbox :D

BOSCO FTW!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Bosco doing the Beastie Boys was a bit special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Didn't think much of adelle's Gauntlet today, not sure how it won! Ray's should have won and JP's definitely shouldn't have been last. The over-reliance on Paul Collins has reached a nadir.

batm!ke wrote: »
    Didn't think much of adelle's Gauntlet today, not sure how it won! Ray's should have won and JP's definitely shouldn't have been last. The over-reliance on Paul Collins has reached a nadir.

Agree. Ray's was definitely the best, and it's not just the kids-factor, his material was the best.

I'd agree with you as well that they're over-relying on PC... like, his input in today's was pretty funny, but if they use him in every entry every week it'll wear off. It'd be funnier imho if every few weeks one of them used him, then they could play up the "OH NO YOU DI-INT USE PC" thing for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I have been subjected to 17 minutes of this **** today. Awful radio

I'm guessing Saw Doctors after 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Listening to the podcast and jaysus I wouldnt like to piss off rays wife. I know it was a joke and she was probably prepped but still.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Listening to the podcast and jaysus I wouldnt like to piss off rays wife. I know it was a joke and she was probably prepped but still.

I really don't think she was... she sounded genuinely relieved when she realised that it was a piss take.

Either way, I found it funny. :)

Advertisement