Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

batm!ke wrote: »
    Ooh, I don't know about that all the time wnolan. Don't get me wrong, I love the show and all that but he can get very defensive, overly so, when faced with criticism. You're right though, he has every right to have a pop at people like the moaners after this weeks Gauntlet but a couple of times I've sent in texts and he's read them on air, once he called me a muppet and another time called me a tool. I was being sarcastic once so fair enough it didn't come across in the text but another time I questioned Nordy Eoin's qualifications as a movie critic and wanted to know how he could criticise films having not seen them etc. My word he went off on one on me. Didn't help that JP read my text out in a really snotty tone I suppose :o

And I think anyone here who follows him on twitter will know what I mean when I say he can't take a joke. He has flat-out abused people on it. Unbecoming for a man of his public standing I would think. @rayfoleyshow I wouldn't be surprised if that's why the twitter account is for the show only now. :confused:

I suppose...

Now that I think of it, I sent in an email to the podcast once saying that I really liked the podcast only bits, even if it was just them talking shíte (I'm paraphrasing, don't really remember the content of the email) and he thought I was criticising the show and did get a little defensive. Though I did clarify it in an email in the very next podcast and he seemed grand.

I don't really keep up to date with twitter so I wouldn't know about how he used to act on there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I suppose...

Now that I think of it, I sent in an email to the podcast once saying that I really liked the podcast only bits, even if it was just them talking shíte (I'm paraphrasing, don't really remember the content of the email) and he thought I was criticising the show and did get a little defensive. Though I did clarify it in an email in the very next podcast and he seemed grand.

I don't really keep up to date with twitter so I wouldn't know about how he used to act on there.

I love the show as much as anyone and have to say that Foley was usually grand on twitter but every once in a while people would send him abuse and he'd respond back equally. Its fair enough I think, as long as its made clear that hes not representing the views of today fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Oh sweet Jesus JPs gauntlet was utter ****ing 24 carat gold.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Oh sweet Jesus JPs gauntlet was utter ****ing 24 carat gold.

Should've won it by a country mile! :pac: :pac:

Ray also lays into some lad from Facebook who complains about the talk of babies today on the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ray also lays into some lad from Facebook who complains about the talk of babies today on the podcast.

Ya I heard that but it was bound to happen at some point. The child is mentioned every day so after a while someone was going to say it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Ya I heard that but it was bound to happen at some point. The child is mentioned every day so after a while someone was going to say it.

Aw man someone has to let me know what he says to that guy! Don't listen to podcasts, he deserves it after making us listen to shockingly boring stories about the kid.

Acoshla wrote: »
    Aw man someone has to let me know what he says to that guy! Don't listen to podcasts, he deserves it after making us listen to shockingly boring stories about the kid.

He basically calls him a cúnt and gets defensive, pointing out that he barely mentioned the child during yesterday's show. Then he read out another post that was along the lines of "Relax, he just had the child."

TBH I see both sides here. I don't particularly enjoy the baby talk, but in fairness, being a father is new to Foley, and he has always talked very openly about his personal life on air, so it's only natural that he'd talk about the baby. And I'd also imagine that a lot of his listeners in their mid to late thirties are having kids as well and can relate to it.

In a way, the show is aging in tandem with its audience. Moving away from going out drinking all the time and stories of gigs and stuff to Foley's new life.

I've said it already on here, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Items like the Gauntlet and the random games and quizzes they play are still great to listen to, and I even laughed at him playing the clip of the baby crying trying to make it sound like "Al".

He should be wary though not to go too far down the D'Arcy route of being a cranky old fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Really needs to be careful - can put up with it for the first few days of course. Needs to tone it down now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Had the misfortune of hearing this awful show recently. If they took away his sidekicks and trimmed away the sarcasm, he'd be nothing more than being like a late night dj who plays the hits all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

MJ23 wrote: »
    Had the misfortune of hearing this awful show recently. If they took away his sidekicks and trimmed away the sarcasm, he'd be nothing more than a late night dj who plays the hits all night.

But he's on at 12.30 in the afternoon :confused:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Please-don-t-feed-the-trolls-atsof-547660_170_186.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

But he's on at 12.30 in the afternoon :confused:

:D

Yes I know that. I was saying he'd be like a late night dj playing the hits, if the sarcasm and sidekicks were taken away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

MJ23 wrote: »
    Yes I know that. I was saying he'd be like a late night dj playing the hits, if the sarcasm and sidekicks were taken away.

You mean he'd be like Tony Fenton then... :p and God help us all if that were to happen.

That's a strange thing to say in fairness. What's stopping me saying "take away Steven Gerrards left leg and he wouldn't be much of a footballer at all"??
    The Foley Show is as popular as it is because of the chemistry between him and his "sidekicks" who, incidentally are his producer and researcher respectively, just because most shows have silent producers et al doesn't mean they all have to. It'd be stupid not to tap into the buzz they get off each other. The sarcasm is part of his schtick, he's not smash-nicey like Fenton and Dempsey and he's not all about causes, politics or current affairs like D'Arcy or Cooper. Taking away his sarcasm is taking part of his personality away. Would you rather all radio was like Overnight Music, just song after song?!

The Dine Easy thing they're plugging on the show all this week really sounds class. Would so sign up for it, but they're only in poxy Dublin... :P

I did laugh at the link where they kept saying poxy and syphilis. :pac: Immature maybe, but fúcking funny nonetheless. :)

How many times has the word baby been said in the first 20 mins when he just said he's not going to talk about the baby? I'm giving him next week before I stop listening! Silence will have to do while I work, it's better than this every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Bit drastic. So what if he talks about the baby. As long as it's not gushing and is funny, he can discuss it all he likes.

Clanket wrote: »
    Bit drastic. So what if he talks about the baby. As long as it's not gushing and is funny, he can discuss it all he likes.

It's constant, and it's not something that interests me to listen to for so long every day. It's just a pity for me if I stop listening because I always liked this show.

Acoshla wrote: »
    It's constant, and it's not something that interests me to listen to for so long every day. It's just a pity for me if I stop listening because I always liked this show.

I gave up going to nightclubs and drinking a few years ago, do you think it interested me when they talked about drinking or what happened on their nights out... NO! Was still funny out though. I've never understood peoples dislike for baby / child stories. What's the big deal? It'd be different if he was preaching like D'Arcy can do, but he's finding the 'funny' in it.

The show has always been about his life and whatever is going on in it and like he said in the podcast the other day he couldn't care less if he lost listeners who suddenly decided they didn't like the direction his life was taking.

batm!ke wrote: »
    I gave up going to nightclubs and drinking a few years ago, do you think it interested me when they talked about drinking or what happened on their nights out... NO! Was still funny out though. I've never understood peoples dislike for baby / child stories. What's the big deal? It'd be different if he was preaching like D'Arcy can do, but he's finding the 'funny' in it.

The show has always been about his life and whatever is going on in it and like he said in the podcast the other day he couldn't care less if he lost listeners who suddenly decided they didn't like the direction his life was taking.

It's just a radio show, I'm not interested in his life stories, be they babies or otherwise, once you talk about any topic constantly it gets boring. When he goes on about nights out etc he doesn't go on about it every day of the week for 20 minutes of the show, so I never got the chance to get bored of it. I'm not big into drinking either but I'd listen to him go on about his hangover because he'd be done talking about it in a few minutes.

It's mad how much Irish radio dj's talk about their personal lives, when I lived abroad it was a big difference that I noticed, that the dj's just chat about random things and play music. Not saying either is good/bad or right/wrong, just interesting how different places develop different "standard" shows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I had the misfortune of having to listen to this on Tuesday.

I have never heard such self indulgent, juvenile rubbish in my life. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Im not big into radio (more of a tv person) but I love Foley's show, terrific. The amount of times I've been walking in the road, listening to the show only to burst out laughing along the way, I wouldn't dare to count.

I know it's stupid, but I still giggle when he does the "Hey Ann Gleeson!! you bitch! What'd we get in the podcast today!!" thing. :pac:

Just listening back there to where they rip into the D'Arcy show over The Rocky Road to Poland! Excellent stuff.

Also, I've found his blogs from when he was on The Blast! so reading through some of those now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I loved Anne's take on the hypnosis for sleep thing the other day.

"You're veeeery relaaaxed....did you remember to turn off the oven?.......You're fast asleeeep. Oh. You're still awake? You might as well get up"

Ah lads, that was feckin' great stuff right there. :pac:

"Pyrex of the Caribbean."

:pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Have to say I absolutely love the show, its def my favourite show on Irish radio. Cant stand the sound of Rick O'Shea's voice. What i love about the show is how if something goes wrong, they dont ignore it and gloss over it, they make a huge joke out of it (granted they do that for a lot of other shows as well and the news team!) but they dont take themselves too seriously like D'Arcy or Tony Fenton does!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I don't like ray himself but the show is good and Ann and JP are brilliant.

Rick I Shea tips off all his ideas from twitter and never gives any credit.

"Am I being a baby bore?"...If you have to ask Ray... :pac:

3 minutes out of a 2 and a half hour show is grand in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Have to agree with batmike, he really toned it down today.

Advertisement