Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Have to agree with batmike, he really toned it down today.

Yeah he did, must've gotten it out of his system elsewhere over the long weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

this "does Foley know", is terrbile, the show has really gone downhill and they are clearly runnig out of ideas..also the Guantlet is terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I've got "From Cork to Roscommon" stuck in my head now. :o

Aaah The blast memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've got "From Cork to Roscommon" stuck in my head now. :o

Aaah The blast memories :)

You've got me excited for the podcast now! :)

Ahhhh more memories!

I nearly choked laughing at Nordy Owen doing the Beauty & the Beast song and them asking him if he was ok, he's so funny bless him. His proposal story made me laugh out loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No1 podcast in iIrlande according to mr Raymond foley Esq.

Boards.ie mention on the Raymond Foley show podcast

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Boards.ie mention on the Raymond Foley show podcast

Anything in particular..?

Acoshla wrote: »
    Anything in particular..?

Basically that he thinks everyone hates him on here and that we spend our time bitching about him, and that he hasn't read boards in 6 years.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Basically that he thinks everyone hates him on here and that we spend our time bitching about him, and that he hasn't read boards in 6 years.

Not everyone hates him on here. We don't spend my time bitching about him in here. Did he mean six years on the radio part or on boards as a whole ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

If I remember rightly, there was a thread on Foley a few years back that got very nasty between people who loved the show and people who hated the show, and he was even on here himself and that things got a bit crazy and the thread was locked. This is a newer thread started a bit after the original one, a few posts allude to the old one in the first few pages of this thread I think. Must have a look see now...

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not everyone hates him on here. We don't spend my time bitching about him in here. Did he mean six years on the radio part or on boards as a whole ?

I was going to send him an email about it and tell him that not everyone hates him on here, but I doubt he'd believe me.

Not sure, JP was trying to read out something and he kinda threw in the comment that he hadn't read boards in six years.

A few of the earlier posts...
    dosen't a thread about foley appear about every two months in this place?Usually ending up in a massive argument between those who love him and those who hate him.
    I think he's great anyway. Don't think he is egotistical at all. Think the whole "king" thing is very tongue in cheek. Anyone who has ever listened will see that he actually can be quite insecure in himself.

So what? I don't know that many people who just keep taking abuse from random people.
    Clare Bear wrote: »
    I think it's on the Today FM You Tube site that lots of the DJs get bad comments but they leave them up there. Not Foley though, he can't handle any form of criticism. I can't understand why his ratings are so high! The few times I've been forced to listen to him at work he makes me angry.
    eamon234 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a sort of unofficial ban on discussing this show because he was kicking up about the criticism? There certainly was a while back.
    I hate the way he copies Chris Moyles jingles.
    sorrywhat wrote: »
    I used to really like his show when he started off. In the last 12 months or so I find myself turning him off more and more.

I cant stand his "up his own arse" attitude. And his way or no way.

He cant take critism. Even if its constructive he wont listen. Ive heard him on the podcast before whining because people said some stuff on the net about him.

He has this constant need to be liked which is growing increasingly pathetic.

But having said all that, it is disappointing that he has turned into this person because his show used to be good, he is good at his job. If they got rid of him.... maybe then I;d tune back in.
    Slidey wrote: »
    Yes, there was a blanket ban on Ray Foley here. The reason was his threads would just become massive slag fests.

This can stay open as long as it remains civil.

Comments like this will only get you carded/banned. Please refrain from personal abuse.

Thanks
    Enough.

This is why Ray Foley threads were banned, because of the snipping between posters.

Closed for now.
    Opened again.

Please keep the bickering out of it.

Thanks

He's the DJ equivalent of Marmite I guess. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Its a great show... Im a boardsie a few years and i love the show.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

One of the best shows on radio, always thought anything they put their hands to was very good. Ray in particular makes the show for me, and they work very well together!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

I have been listening to Ray Foley since about 2004 (back in the days of The Blast) and contrary to the naysayers I've always found his show to be the wittiest and funniest in the otherwise woeful world of Irish light entertainment radio. But to be honest, JP is the real star (and brains) of the show. It would be crap without him.

I'd break it down like this...

Ray: very good at what he does. Alone he'd probably just be a good DJ, but more 'mainstream' a la Tony Fenton on his own. Having JP there allows him to have someone to bounce off of which brings out the 'craic' in him.

JP: Struggles on his own and by his own admission nowhere near as gifted as Ray with all the knobs and buttons in studio. Very knowledgable and quick witted though, and is the perfect foil for Ray.

Anne: I can only really compare Anne to Adelle. And she beats Adelle's on-air persona hands down. Adelle may be a good producer, but Anne can perform both the 'mammy' role to the lads and join in on the craic much better than Adelle. (And her Una Healy is one of the funniest things on radio)

The three of them together makes for the most entertaining show on radio imo. Just my two cents. :D

batm!ke wrote: »
    I'd break it down like this...

Ray: very good at what he does. Alone he'd probably just be a good DJ, but more 'mainstream' a la Tony Fenton on his own. Having JP there allows him to have someone to bounce off of which brings out the 'craic' in him.

JP: Struggles on his own and by his own admission nowhere near as gifted as Ray with all the knobs and buttons in studio. Very knowledgable and quick witted though, and is the perfect foil for Ray.

Anne: I can only really compare Anne to Adelle. And she beats Adelle's on-air persona hands down. Adelle may be a good producer, but Anne can perform both the 'mammy' role to the lads and join in on the craic much better than Adelle. (And her Una Healy is one of the funniest things on radio)

The three of them together makes for the most entertaining show on radio imo. Just my two cents. :D

I'd have to agree with that assessment.

Foley on his own would be very bland, and to be fair you couldn't fault him for that, it's exceedingly difficult to present a show with no one to bounce off of.

JP, not a great solo host. Getting better with the studio equipment each time Foley is off. Perfect companion for either Ray or Ann.

Ann is an excellent addition to the mix. Overall, her gauntlets have been the best, her Una Healy impression, and her general interaction with the two lads is top notch. And the way she still acts all offended when Ray calls her a bitch on podcast still makes me laugh.

Hard to say about Adelle, she had some great gauntlet entries, but hers was really more of a behind the scenes role.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I love Adelle! She's the perfect mammy for the show and they integrate her brilliantly in that role...with her playing straight and scolding them for messing when they get carried away. Stuff like her gauntlets are so cringey it's hilarious, it's like actually listening to your mam try to play along on a zany radio show. But she's very clued in, at the same time, and clearly knows how to mesh her actual personality with the role she's expected to play.

When she's off, I never miss her until she comes back. Then I'm always like, "Ahhh! Now it's the proper Ray Foley Show again!"

Ann's brilliant, but she's more of a kid sister role, fighting with big brother Ray while the moody teen JP sits in the corner and tries to act too cool for school (in this image, I picture him wearing a leather jacket, sunglasses and smoking without actually inhaling for some reason) when he's really not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

I for one cannot stand the show or Foley for that matter. He cannot be that good if it takes three people to present the show and also the fact that there is back ground music on every time they talk.

I avoid that show like the plague and by God he has a face for radio.

leggo wrote: »
    I love Adelle! She's the perfect mammy for the show and they integrate her brilliantly in that role...with her playing straight and scolding them for messing when they get carried away. Stuff like her gauntlets are so cringey it's hilarious, it's like actually listening to your mam try to play along on a zany radio show. But she's very clued in, at the same time, and clearly knows how to mesh her actual personality with the role she's expected to play.

When she's off, I never miss her until she comes back. Then I'm always like, "Ahhh! Now it's the proper Ray Foley Show again!"

Ann's brilliant, but she's more of a kid sister role, fighting with big brother Ray while the moody teen JP sits in the corner and tries to act too cool for school (in this image, I picture him wearing a leather jacket, sunglasses and smoking without actually inhaling for some reason) when he's really not.

I've a few podcasts from before Adelle went on maternity leave in my iTunes, might give a listen later. You're right though, I'll probably realise just what she brings only when she gets back.

I do remember that day where they were doing the gauntlet and there was a brass band sound checking and Ray kept going "This is really getting on my tits Adelle!" and she was like "Just carry on Ray, just carry on." :P
    kub wrote: »
    I for one cannot stand the show or Foley for that matter.

It's not to everyone's tastes. What don't you like about it out of curiosity?
    He cannot be that good if it takes three people to present the show

Really? I wouldn't say it "takes" three people to present the show, so much as it's much better when they work as a team. In fact, the only solo DJ on Irish radio worth listening to is KC imho. All the other good shows have teams, and I think you'll find it hard to find many successful shows of Foley's genre on any station that don't have a support team.
    and also the fact that there is back ground music on every time they talk.

I don't understand what you mean by this... bedding is just formatting, almost every show that doesn't have a high talk:music ratio uses beds.

Don't see how his looks affect his ability to present a radio show...

kub wrote: »
    I for one cannot stand the show or Foley for that matter. He cannot be that good if it takes three people to present the show and also the fact that there is back ground music on every time they talk.

3 people don't present the show, Ray Foley does. Most radio shows have other people working on them, some get airtime (the Ray D'Arcy Show, Derek Mooney, Off the Ball, Paul McLoone Show) some don't (Tony Fenton, Ian Dempsey, Tubridy)

Don't see what his looks have to do with how he presents a radio show either.

The two lads plus Ann/Adelle have great chemistry which is why I like the show, and it helps that they actually are friends on the show.

Ray, whatever some people might say is a good DJ as you don't get a national radio daytime gig at 24(?) unless you have some ability.

JP as has been said is not as slick at the solo presenting but given the chance, he would have no problem doing It IMO. It's practice as if you're not something every day it's going you won't be confident.

Ann/Una Saturdays is brilliant and the fact she isn't down as one of the team is a joke(although maybe that's the point), and her gauntlet entrys are superb. I personally think that her and ray have better on air chemistry as they seem to have the same sense of humour. Her laugh did bug me a bit at the start but it's grand now.

Ah I love when they feck up the gauntlet :D

Ah I love when they feck up the gauntlet :D

They've really made a balls of it this week :eek:
    Hope Anne's is good now...

I was in tears listening to Anne's. I think she does the better ones.

I liked JP's! :)

I liked JP's! :)

Was hoping he'd say "rated pg13"at the end of it.

• Advertisement

I was in tears listening to Anne's. I think she does the better ones.

I missed it as I went on my lunch but JPs wasnt bad it just wasn't kind of what they were meant to do really.

Advertisement