Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I might be just imagining this, but for anyone wondering did they jump or whether they were pushed, I remember Ray talking on the podcast about going out with the 98 manager a few months and hmm-ing and haw-ing about whether he'd ever work on local radio again and how his attitude to his staff was interesting.

So this has probably been in the pipeline a while and suits all parties best. KC was brought in to be the new Foley, that was clear from day one, and he'll do great in that role. Today FM tend to stay loyal to their DJs too so I'd say this is all part of the plan that'll eventually end in Foley taking over breakfast there.

In that sense, it's a smart career move. If they felt themselves growing stagnant, then sticking where they were for the sake of a bigger audience would only harm them in the long run. Look at what happened to Colm-Colm & Jim-Jim. They went from being the hottest thing on Irish radio to going on a long, roundabout road to Colm being on a sinking ship and Jim ending up right back where he started...all for a bigger audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

leggo wrote: »
    I might be just imagining this, but for anyone wondering did they jump or whether they were pushed, I remember Ray talking on the podcast about going out with the 98 manager a few months and hmm-ing and haw-ing about whether he'd ever work on local radio again and how his attitude to his staff was interesting.

So this has probably been in the pipeline a while and suits all parties best. KC was brought in to be the new Foley, that was clear from day one, and he'll do great in that role. Today FM tend to stay loyal to their DJs too so I'd say this is all part of the plan that'll eventually end in Foley taking over breakfast there.

In that sense, it's a smart career move. If they felt themselves growing stagnant, then sticking where they were for the sake of a bigger audience would only harm them in the long run. Look at what happened to Colm-Colm & Jim-Jim. They went from being the hottest thing on Irish radio to going on a long, roundabout road to Colm being on a sinking ship and Jim ending up right back where he started...all for a bigger audience.

Hope it works out that way anyway. It would be a shame for them to go the same road Colm and Jim Jim went. For what its worth, I reckon Jim Jim is worse off now than he was before going to 2FM. Financially he's probably better off, but in terms of material once they made the move they went downhill fast and neither has recovered. Jim Jim is awful whenever I hear him now, Colm is doing ok but on a worthless show that wont help him in any way.

Yeah I'd agree, Colm has kinda matured well material-wise, but he's stuck on a sinking ship where, shortly, anything and everything can be considered in-line for the chop.

I had a bit of a Twitter rant about the Strawberries last week, their show was pitiful when I listened in. It sounded like first year radio college students who just thought that the sound of their voices was automatically good radio...except you can forgive students, that's to be expected. No prep, talking over each other, tired-sounding, not being the slightest bit funny or even insightful and worrying more about looking cool than making good radio. The entire link that pushed me over the edge pretty much went like this:

"Do you know what the most expensive perfume is?" (Or something like that)
    "Yeah it's (answers)"
    "Oh...how do you know about perfume? EH?!"
    "I go shopping with my missus sometimes."
    "Should you not stand outside?"
    "No, sometimes I go in with her."
    "Ah right..."

Just cringey. And Jim seems like a really nice guy, who I've liked since I was a kid, so I hate to hear him like this.

Sorry for dragging this off-topic, but yeah I think this is all part of a bigger plan for the lads so I'd be more confident in their ability to succeed. It's a grand scheme thing rather than them just winging it, I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

leggo wrote: »
    except you can forgive students, that's to be expected. No prep, talking over each other, tired-sounding, not being the slightest bit funny or even insightful and worrying more about looking cool than making good radio.

That's what you think of student radio? Obvs you've never heard ULFM then. :cool: :cool:

:P :P :pac:

Nah not all student radio to be fair. Just a lot of what I've heard. And the bit before the quote you included is what I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

ray foley is a twat the show was pathetic unoriginal same ol same ol every single day Kc all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

listenup wrote: »
    ray foley is a twat the show was pathetic unoriginal same ol same ol every single day Kc all the way

And what's original about KC's show?

Jason Todd wrote: »

And what's original about KC's show?
    absolutely everything. musical variety topics of conversation ...he doesn't play bull**** cartoon songs he doesn't talk about how fantastic he is I could go on my fellow boarder but I would be here all night with reasons as to why ray foley is a twat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

absolutely everything. musical variety topics of conversation ...he doesn't play bull**** cartoon songs he doesn't talk about how fantastic he is I could go on my fellow boarder but I would be here all night with reasons as to why ray foley is a twat

If you can't spot why you received a warning for the above two posts I can happily arrange for you to to take some time off while we discuss it.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Took a look through my iTunes there a while ago. I have a nice few of the podcasts from ages ago saved (some as far back as May '11). I'm gonna edit together all the best bits and throw them up as one long thing on SoundCloud in the coming days.

Mostly Gauntlets, but there's some other bits there too, like the time there was a band soundchecking in the middle studio and they could hear the trumpets and stuff and Ray was like "Adele, that's reeeally getting on my tits now..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

Foley & KC are really good mates. Foley said the last day " I'm delighted that KC is getting afternoons, he's one of my best friends and yadda yadda "

People who don't get what Foley is about tend to call him a 'twat' or a ' dickhead' and that's pathetic really. If you don't like something in life then don't be nasty about it, just don't listen to it.

But as with alot of radio presenters who have a love hate profile - most of the people who hated Gerry Ryan listened to him every day!! work that out ?

Anyway,Foley will be back on national radio in no time, it's a transfer deal, he's on " loan "to help get 98 back on track.

LeakyGee wrote: »

Foley & KC are really good mates. Foley said the last day " I'm delighted that KC is getting afternoons, he's one of my best friends and yadda yadda "

People who don't get what Foley is about tend to call him a 'twat' or a ' dickhead' and that's pathetic really. If you don't like something in life then don't be nasty about it, just don't listen to it.

But as with alot of radio presenters who have a love hate profile - most of the people who hated Gerry Ryan listened to him every day!! work that out ?

Anyway,Foley will be back on national radio in no time, it's a transfer deal, he's on " loan "to help get 98 back on track.
    fair nuff

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Took a look through my iTunes there a while ago. I have a nice few of the podcasts from ages ago saved (some as far back as May '11).

I've got podcasts from 2009. Might upload them somewhere, if anyone wants them since I'm not sure you can get them online anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    I've got podcasts from 2009. Might upload them somewhere, if anyone wants them since I'm not sure you can get them online anymore.

That would be great if possible, I remember some great Gauntlets from the past but my podcasts only go back to August 2011. I really want to hear the one with JP's ad for body-spray :D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Here's a download link for the podcasts from January 2009:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4487mjdf4elfd44

I looked through my folders and unfortunately I don't have any podcasts from February, March or April.

I have plenty from May to December though so I'll upload them over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Erahgerd!!

Old jingles!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Dara Quilty of Spin 1038 hanging around the today fm studios today.He was in the podcast. Wonder if he will be any part of the new schedule. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Edit:Quote from dara quilty in the podcast "I've a meeting now about 7-9, can we end this please"!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Velocity_Girl

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    Here's a download link for the podcasts from January 2009:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4487mjdf4elfd44

I looked through my folders and unfortunately I don't have any podcasts from February, March or April.

I have plenty from May to December though so I'll upload them over the next few days.

Thank you for these, will download when I get home! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Dara Quilty of Spin 1038 hanging around the today fm studios today.He was in the podcast. Wonder if he will be any part of the new schedule. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Edit:Quote from dara quilty in the podcast "I've a meeting now about 7-9, can we end this please"!:)

That's good news. I haven't heard him but have heard only good things about him for a while.

Great to see Today FM continue to get the talent in. They do need the balls to shake up the schedukle a bit further though.

Any Boardsies get invited to the final show on Friday? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Does anyone know where the 'secret' location is?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Episode One of the Podblast (possibly from April 2006) http://bit.ly/UjYvGV
    The B%$£*'s Box of Sh1te theme http://bit.ly/SgYrIj

seabee wrote: »
    Episode One of the Podblast (possibly from April 2006) http://bit.ly/UjYvGV
    The B%$£*'s Box of Sh1te theme http://bit.ly/SgYrIj

Cool, thanks, must give theses a... 'blast' when I get home!

Sorry! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The second last day lads and lassies. Jesus this is really happening.

Will he be emotional at the end do we think ? I know someone said about playing the "child's a bastard" bit but they should have found the person and brought them in so JP could do it in person.

We know Ann is going to be there. Adelle probably and will his missus be there or is this some rule that they don't mix ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The second last day lads and lassies. Jesus this is really happening.

Will he be emotional at the end do we think ? I know someone said about playing the "child's a bastard" bit but they should have found the person and brought them in so JP could do it in person.

We know Ann is going to be there. Adelle probably and will his missus be there or is this some rule that they don't mix ?

If they had everyone in for the craic, who would they have?

Ray
    JP
    Ann
    Adelle
    Nordy Eoin
    Funky Funboy Al
    New Guy Ken (Although they already said he probably won't be there)
    Kate & baby Matthew (Possibly)

Who else?

Also, the segments they should do:
    Roll Call
    Lazy Radio
    Friday Mix
    Newsbusters
    Ah, Yeah, OK
    Feedback
    DJ Jayo
    The Gauntlet (or replay classic ones)
    aaaaand Outros!

I'm sad already :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

Are the webcams not working or is it just my computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hoping to hear DJ Jayo before he leaves Today FM.

Are the webcams not working or is it just my computer?

They don't seem to have them on regularly the last week or so anytime I've put them on anyway. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

Jason Todd wrote: »
    They don't seem to have them on regularly the last week or so anytime I've put them on anyway. :confused:

It's strange the actual webcam page won't load for me the normal just "Listen Live" works fine though.

Advertisement