Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ofcork

Im going to miss this show so much,no other show actually makes me laugh out loud at the radio good luck guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Had the privilege of hearing the last show today. Excellent radio, they are brilliant craic, and I was one of those who didn't "get it" when I first heard them a few yrs ago.
    Am I alone in missing the cheesy jingles?! I noticed he over-played them this week again having toned their use in the months before... The Ray Foley Show... On Today... FM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Had the privilege of hearing the last show today. Excellent radio, they are brilliant craic, and I was one of those who didn't "get it" when I first heard them a few yrs ago.
    Am I alone in missing the cheesy jingles?! I noticed he over-played them this week again having toned their use in the months before... The Ray Foley Show... On Today... FM!

No he really squeesed them all in as much as poss the last week...Some of them are genious!!I have one or two of his beds/backing tracks downloaded that i use my self from time too time!!

No he really squeesed them all in as much as poss the last week...Some of them are genious!!I have one or two of his beds/backing tracks downloaded that i use my self from time too time!!

LOL, they are on the "Music4" site, free to download. Google it, for those of you interested!

The Jingles or beds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Barely.. You can tell they're not the best of mates.. Its was actually a bit awkward..

I could only listen up to the lunchtime news today, so just listening to the podcast now... they're half way through the mix... I'll be honest, between this and reading the blog I'm welling up a bit gutted! :D:p

I don't care what anyone says, they have been the best thing on national Irish radio for the last couple of years. I've listened to them every day in work, I've listened to them going to and from Oxigens, driving home after the birth of my son, an integral part of my lunch throughout my last two jobs. I know there are more important things going on but they felt like mates and chances are I'm not going to get to hear them much from now on I'm really really gonna miss the show. Yes... that show!

Ive pictures from when i met Foley and JP @ The Savoy Cork must dig them out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

LOL, they are on the "Music4" site, free to download. Google it, for those of you interested!

I'm on the Music4 site, but not exactly sure where to look. Any tips?

Ive pictures from when i met Foley and JP @ The Savoy Cork must dig them out

Good call, anybody else got pics, throw them up here! :)

• Advertisement

Ya ive heard those....they are around awhile sound great tho....Was more looking for his talk over beds rather then the ramps

wnolan1992 wrote: »

I'm on the Music4 site, but not exactly sure where to look. Any tips?

I linked to it in my last post, enjoy!
    http://www.music4.com/musicservices/catalogue/537/today-fm/the-ray-foley-show-jingles.html

Cheers.

Have to say, got a giggle out of the "Willy Raise" jingle name. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jameslavelle70

For anyone wanting to know why Foley and JP are leaving Today FM, basically today's PD Tom Hardy decided time was up for the lads and their contracts were not renewed. To keep the lads in radio, Chris Doyle ( CEO of 98 ) and best mates with Foley, took them on. In my opinion very bad move for 98fm, can't see either of the lads doing anything for 98fm at all!

For anyone wanting to know why Foley and JP are leaving Today FM, basically today's PD Tom Hardy decided time was up for the lads and their contracts were not renewed. To keep the lads in radio, Chris Doyle ( CEO of 98 ) and best mates with Foley, took them on. In my opinion very bad move for 98fm, can't see either of the lads doing anything for 98fm at all!

You'll have to pardon us if we take all of that with a pinch of salt, given that I could just as easily register a new account and say that Ray demanded more money from Today FM, they wouldn't pay up, so he went to 98.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    You'll have to pardon us if we take all of that with a pinch of salt, given that I could just as easily register a new account and say that Ray demanded more money from Today FM, they wouldn't pay up, so he went to 98.

Trust me, I'm in the know!

Trust me, I'm in the know too, probably even more so than you.

See how this works? :P

Weren't they the most listened to show nationally at lunchtime? Sounds like a good enough reason to let their contracts run down :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

So was Duncan Jenkins

The issue is a personal one between Tom Hardy ( PD ) and Foley.

Foley's ratings in Dublin are terrible, nationally they are very good.

Would you leave a national primetime lunchtime show, to get up at 4.30am to do a breakfast show on a county only station that has been struggling for years and only has 6.8% market share?

• Advertisement

Would you leave a national primetime lunchtime show, to get up at 4.30am to do a breakfast show on a county only station that has been struggling for years and only has 6.8% market share?

If I had long term plans to be the Breakfast show host on Today FM, and I was getting bored after six years of the same thing, and I had a new child who I wanted to spend more time with, then yes, yes I would. :)

Basically, until I see any strong evidence to suggest otherwise, I'm taking Foley at his word.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I'm not too clued in on radio audience counts, but does it take into consideration people listening in online or on outlets such as TuneIn?

I'm not too clued in on radio audience counts, but does it take into consideration people listening in online or on outlets such as TuneIn?

Not as far as I know. Traditional listenership only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

So how close are you? And how do you know - Firsthand, or through someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Tuned in for the 12:50pm news bulletin today to hear the Sean Quinn news story.

Yet all we got was this gobshíte Foley delaying the news (as a childish joke), by 5 minutes.

Verbal diarrhea listening to the guy.

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Tuned in for the 12:50pm news bulletin today to hear the Sean Quinn news story.

Yet all we got was this gobshíte Foley delaying the news (as a childish joke), by 5 minutes.

Verbal diarrhea listening to the guy.

Were it not for his verbal diarrhea, the news team wouldn't have had the full Sean Quinn story in the news. Would have only had a "breaking news! more at 2pm" at the end.

Richard Chambers thanked him for it at 2pm.

If his ratings were terrible in Dublin (admittedly, they are not supposed to be great) then why would he take it on like that? It'd be career suicide. If he wasn't going to be renewed at Today FM, I could have easily seen him giving them a big FU and going to 2fm, they'd only be delighted to have him!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Ray Foley Show May 2009 Podcasts:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m5zp0bno15h9w41

Only eight podcasts in this unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The start of the show and mix was great.. then the live-lunch was yawwwwwwn!

And the end of the show felt far too rushed and was just horrible!

Not a good end to the show unfortunately.. but the first hour was excellent!

• Advertisement

Just finished listening to the last ever show!

Really thought they'd finish with 'Don't Stop Believing', great final song choice though!
    Standing in the light till it's over
    Out of our minds
    Someone had to draw a line
    We'll be coming back for you one day
    I don't even care if I know you
    Out of our minds
    Sad to leave it all behind
    We'll be coming back

Advertisement