Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Anyone have a link where I can download the last show from???

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

islanderre wrote: »
    Anyone have a link where I can download the last show from???

Thanks...

iTunes, search for Ray Foley Show.

Appears they've been taken off the Today FM site.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Top man wnolan1992

Really miss the Foley show now he's gone..... had many LoL's with Foley and the gang in the last few years but really loved the lead up to Christmas on his show and the tease of the Maria Carey song every so often once December came!!!!!!!!!

Best of Luck Foley and the 'Brains of the operation' JP........

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

No mention of The Ray Foley Show on 98FM site now and page I linked to yesterday has been taken down!

Hmmm....

islanderre wrote: »
    Top man wnolan1992

Really miss the Foley show now he's gone..... had many LoL's with Foley and the gang in the last few years but really loved the lead up to Christmas on his show and the tease of the Maria Carey song every so often once December came!!!!!!!!!

Best of Luck Foley and the 'Brains of the operation' JP........

Just an FYI, from (probably) Monday onwards if you do a search for Ray Foley Show 98FM in iTunes you'll be able to continue listening to the show. He plans to keep podcasting his shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Just an FYI, from (probably) Monday onwards if you do a search for Ray Foley Show 98FM in iTunes you'll be able to continue listening to the show. He plans to keep podcasting his shows.

Already subscribed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ofcork

Ye Dublin posters will have to let the rest of us know how it goes on monday although i am looking forward to hearing KC,he always plays good tunes you havent heard in a while.

ofcork wrote: »
    Ye Dublin posters will have to let the rest of us know how it goes on monday although i am looking forward to hearing KC,he always plays good tunes you havent heard in a while.

I'll be getting up to hear the first show live. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ofcork

Id say it will be strange listening to the guys so early,after they being on at night and then afternoons for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shwah

Loved the show, sickened to hear they're leaving! This move to 98 kind of has disaster written all over it though doesn't it? He had the perfect gig - lunchtime spot on the top music radio station in the country - could stroll in at ten to 12, only had about two hours of actual broadcasting with the news and what not, and those two hours were just him and his best friend messing around.

He's now leaving the vast majority of his fanbase, getting up at 4/5 o'clock every morning, totally changing his whole life schedule, and doubling his actual broadcast time. Like Ray and JP were great for two hours a day, but I can see the act getting tired stretched out over four.

He had great ratings at Today FM, they're guaranteed to plummet. He's not popular in Dublin, so why switch to a solely Dublin-based station? :confused:

• Advertisement

shwah wrote: »
    Loved the show, sickened to hear they're leaving! This move to 98 kind of has disaster written all over it though doesn't it? He had the perfect gig - lunchtime spot on the top music radio station in the country - could stroll in at ten to 12, only had about two hours of actual broadcasting with the news and what not, and those two hours were just him and his best friend messing around.

He's now leaving the vast majority of his fanbase, getting up at 4/5 o'clock every morning, totally changing his whole life schedule, and doubling his actual broadcast time. Like Ray and JP were great for two hours a day, but I can see the act getting tired stretched out over four.

He had great ratings at Today FM, they're guaranteed to plummet. He's not popular in Dublin, so why switch to a solely Dublin-based station? :confused:

In reality he won't be doubling his broadcast hours. He'll be required to play a lot more music on 98, and won't be as free to do those 20 minute rambling links he often did on Today FM.

Foley put it best himself I'd say, sure they had a great gig at Today FM, and they could have stayed doing the exact same thing for the next six years and end up hating it and unable to change. Whereas now they can go and try something new.

I pretty much agree with what you've said though, it has the potential to be an utter disaster if the Dublin audience don't "get" the show. :\

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

I have been a massive Foley fan for a long while, I have every podcast they have done of the Lunchtime show, sad to see them go. Just a few thoughts...

I think they will need a good producer with them to get the best out of them. I think there was a noticeable drop off in quality over the last year since Adelle left on maternity leave. She was good at reigning in the worst excesses of the two lads, for example she knew the Lazy Radio thing had run its course but when she left, Foley brought it back.

Ann was a big help when Adelle left and could bring out the best in the other two, but since she has gone on sick leave, they've really just been coasting. In fairness this is partly due as well to the fact that they must have known for at least three months they were leaving. I would say the move is in the works for at least that long. Foley's contract was up in November so I'd say he always was aiming to move at that point, but the planning would have gone on maybe even back when Matthew was born. This also explains the total lack of new features in the last few months, he is saving them all for the new show (I hope)!

It's a big move for the guys and I hope it goes well for them. They could have just sat there and done the same thing as they said for a few years, but they have shown the appetite for a challenge with this move. It was one of the things I always liked about Ray, he was extremely self-critical, and very critical of falling into the same-old same-old radio cliches.

I think it says a lot for his fanbase that the new 98fm podcast (which has not got anything in it yet) is #1 on iTunes! I think from reading this thread for the last while it might even be safe for him to come back to boards. Only 1 post calling him a twat in the last 2 weeks!

Christ, didn't realise he was #1 already...

No matter what you think of the man or the show, I think you have to admit that that's impressive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Christ, didn't realise he was #1 already...

No matter what you think of the man or the show, I think you have to admit that that's impressive...

The iTunes podcast charts are apparently counted using 'new' subscribers rather than total subscribers, so it is always skewed in favour of new shows.

Skid wrote: »
    The iTunes podcast charts are apparently counted using 'new' subscribers rather than total subscribers, so it is always skewed in favour of new shows.

Yeah, but I still find it impressive that people are subscribing even before the first show. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Yeah, but I still find it impressive that people are subscribing even before the first show. :)

Ah yeah, it's a good sign alright. Hopefully he will attract the real time listeners as well as the podcasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

hope some one gives a good detailed report on the new show tomoro

MrMac84 wrote: »
    hope some one gives a good detailed report on the new show tomoro

If anyone's up at that hour, be sure to be on boards and we'll have a live chat about it. :pac:

Gonna try and be up to stream the first show live anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

If anyone's up at that hour, be sure to be on boards and we'll have a live chat about it. :pac:

Gonna try and be up to stream the first show live anyway. :)

At 6am?Jeeezz

Let you record it for the rest of us and upload the best bits ha ha!

Wonder what his first link will be?

At 6am?Jeeezz

Let you record it for the rest of us and upload the best bits ha ha!

Wonder what his first link will be?

Sure he'll be podcasting it, no need to record it. :P

I'm going to bet it'll be a link where he starts off with "GOOD MORRRRNING IRE--DUBLIN!!!!", being all chirpy and stuff, then twenty seconds in he'll mute the music and start telling JP he's dying. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

I'm going to bet it'll be a link where he starts off with "GOOD MORRRRNING IRE--DUBLIN!!!!", being all chirpy and stuff, then twenty seconds in he'll mute the music and start telling JP he's dying. :)

I'd say you're bang on there haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

When he interviewed Phil Jupitus a few weeks ago, there was a really funny segment where they both did annoying morning DJ voices. I really hope he opens with that tomorrow.

You can also bet he had a lot of questions for Phil off the air. I'm going to get up for it in the morning. Looking forward to it, so better get to bed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Haha! I think first morning he'll forego the feigned early morning chirpiness and just start straight off with,"Ah lads, I'm wrecked tired! It's so feckin early! It's six o'clock in the morning!" spiel. With JP reprimanding him and telling him how he's been 'in training' for getting up for the early mornings. But sure we'll see! Hope it all goes well for them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

No Foley this morning, must be next week they're starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

TheTechGuy wrote: »

Yeah was waiting in anticipation at 6 and was disappointed..

Got to say I don't like the 98fm format. Real tabloidy news and everything sponsored. Real "comin at ya" style with short links for the jock.

Can't see how Foley fits in to that style..

Did Brian McCaul mention the lads this morning?

Glad I didn't get up at 6 now. :)

As much as Brian McCol knows his stuff about radio, he's not that great of a presenter IMO.

Wow... just been listening to 98 for about half an hour now... it's kind of nice to see that local radio is the same everywhere. This is just the same as 95 or 96 in Limerick or Cork...

Hope Foley doesn't change his style too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

It's fairly dire isn't it..

I was switching it on every once in a while. I know he's only filling in and has no features etc. but there was just nothing to it.

I was thinking of Foley at one point when the jock started going on about the traffic on the M1 and started to do the old cliche and telling people to be careful driving and keep distance etc. His voice even sounded like Foleys "take the piss out of the DJ" voice :)

Remember the brief Foley Show feature "the book of radio cliches" (or something along those lines) ?. That's another great feature I forgot about.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Had a feeling that would be the case.. as no time and date was confirmed by 98FM and they took the show website offline last week too.

• Advertisement

_feedback_ wrote: »
    It's fairly dire isn't it..

I was switching it on every once in a while. I know he's only filling in and has no features etc. but there was just nothing to it.

I was thinking of Foley at one point when the jock started going on about the traffic on the M1 and started to do the old cliche and telling people to be careful driving and keep distance etc. His voice even sounded like Foleys "take the piss out of the DJ" voice :)

Remember the brief Foley Show feature "the book of radio cliches" (or something along those lines) ?. That's another great feature I forgot about.

Hardly surprising given that his take the piss voice is obviously based on McColl. :P

When I first tuned in, I was a bit drowsy and when McColl came on I was certain it was Foley taking the absolute piss for a few seconds. :pac:

Advertisement