Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I will be the first to admit Ive never been a big foley fan but having listened this week i definately think he suits breakfast better than midday on today fm, I think it helps that links are shorter, the personality definately comes through despite his being curtailed somewhat. It will certainly give fm 104 a run for its money which wouldnt be hard, but as someone else said it will take a year for them to make a mark. Can he win over a Dublin audience ? We'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

heybaby wrote: »
    I will be the first to admit Ive never been a big foley fan but having listened this week i definately think he suits breakfast better than midday on today fm, I think it helps that links are shorter, the personality definately comes through despite his being curtailed somewhat. It will certainly give fm 104 a run for its money which wouldnt be hard, but as someone else said it will take a year for them to make a mark. Can he win over a Dublin audience ? We'll see.

"Darragh Macintyre, Sky News."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

The return of Nordy Eoin today, tomorrow the return of DJ Jayo and Feedback... :o

Wonder how he'll get the friday breakfast show to be as 'pumped' as the friday lunchtime show?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Wonder how he'll get the friday breakfast show to be as 'pumped' as the friday lunchtime show?

He has tweeted asking for Friday tunes so may be carrying on with that. His twitter page still carries the Today Fm logo. He should probably get that sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And I've sorted my podcast issues. If anyone is having a problem with the podcast app then search for downcast in the App Store. Quality stuff.

Thank you for this! I was using Instacast but it wouldn't let me access this podcast, plus there were a few other niggling issues. Downcast seems to work way better.

I've only listened to the podcast for the first show so far; really hoping that the sound level issues have been sorted, as mentioned before. I'm enjoying it though, they seem to be having good craic while settling in to their new surroundings.

I miss Ann though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Are they trying to do a chris moyles type thing with both newsreaders being part of the team and show ? They seem to be getting on well and the interaction seems genuine and not forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I listened to the first podcast but it just seemed like random chunks thrown together. Hopefully they just need to find a groove because the Today FM podcasts were great, 98 not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I listened to the first podcast but it just seemed like random chunks thrown together. Hopefully they just need to find a groove because the Today FM podcasts were great, 98 not so much.

Yeah, listening back to today's one now, and it feels too disjointed.

I don't know if there's a way around it though. Because to be fair, on Today FM they had to edit down about 2 hours of a show (taking out news), whereas on 98 it'd require the editing down of a full 4 hour show, which would be very time consuming.

Still, the bits in the podcast are good, they just feel drier because they're so tightly edited together, whereas on Today FM there was snippets of songs and ads thrown in.

BOOM BOOM BOOM! LET ME HEAR YA SAY JAYO!!

JAYO!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

MN8 and the Outhere Bothers :D

I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcasts yet... Are they still doing a podcast-only bit??

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcasts yet... Are they still doing a podcast-only bit??

They did for the first one.

Haven't since though. :(

I was actually wondering during the week; Do 98 have a second studio? Because I saw on the webcam today that Barry Dunne was using the same studio as Ray...

And given that they already share their news studio with SPIN, it might be hard for them to record a regular podcast only bit from now on...

From the Facebooks:

Diarmuid: 98fm is ****.website doesnt work on phone or laptop..thought ye were keeping podcasts updated on today fm.. bad form boys!!!!
    19 minutes ago · Like

The Ray Foley Show Sorry Diarmuid - the entire media playback thing died in both Today FM and 98FM in the same week - our first one back on air. We'll have it back up and running as normal next week pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 iluvlamp

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Are they trying to do a chris moyles type thing with both newsreaders being part of the team and show ? They seem to be getting on well and the interaction seems genuine and not forced.

Nope, that format where the readers come into studio has been in place since before the last Morning Crew. Dermot and Dave also do it in the afternoon.

They don't share their newsbooth with Spin, other than the same floor they all walk on, they don't share any studio space or equipment.

iluvlamp wrote: »
    They don't share their newsbooth with Spin, other than the same floor they all walk on, they don't share any studio space or equipment.

Oh? Fair enough, I only assumed they shared because during one of the news bulletins on the half hour, Foley said to Deeno: "One more quick thing, I now you need to get out of that studio for the SPIN people.", which I took to mean that SPIN's newsreaders were coming in for their bulletin at quarter to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The Ray Foley Show Sorry Diarmuid - the entire media playback thing died in both Today FM and 98FM in the same week - our first one back on air. We'll have it back up and running as normal next week pet.

Newstalk had the same problem. Communicorp must be trying to upgrade their playback/podcast channels for all their stations.

Very unfortunate timing for Ray and JP.

I think they have made a good start. It always takes time to fit in at a new station, from I have heard it seems to be going alright. But I still think the show is at least an hour too long.

Nope, that format where the readers come into studio has been in place since before the last Morning Crew. Dermot and Dave also do it in the afternoon.

The news readers aren't in the same studio as ray and JP though. On the right hand side of ray on the monitor you can see the newsreader on the screen which they can see them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Skid wrote: »
    But I still think the show is at least an hour too long.

If they change it I hope they take the hour from 6-7 rather than 9-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Clanket wrote: »
    If they change it I hope they take the hour from 6-7 rather than 9-10.

I'm sure Ray would gladly take the extra hour in bed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Dont and wont use itunes

When they were on todayfm, I used to listen to the podcasts through the TuneIN radio app

The new podcasts on 98fm arent showing up on the TuneIn app now

Any other alternatives to listening to the podcast as I understand the 98fm playback function is pants

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

Oh? Fair enough, I only assumed they shared because during one of the news bulletins on the half hour, Foley said to Deeno: "One more quick thing, I now you need to get out of that studio for the SPIN people.", which I took to mean that SPIN's newsreaders were coming in for their bulletin at quarter to.

Wnolan1992 your correct, SPIN & 98FM recently moved their news teams to Marconi House to join Today FM, Phantom and Newstalk.

iluvlamp - When they were in The Malt House that would be correct but now 98FM do their bulletins at half past and on the hour and SPIN do theirs at quarter to the hour.

So when you heard "One more quick thing, I now you need to get out of that studio for the SPIN people." The SPIN guys were probably impatiently waiting to move in to do their bulletin.

They did for the first one.

Haven't since though. :(

I was actually wondering during the week; Do 98 have a second studio? Because I saw on the webcam today that Barry Dunne was using the same studio as Ray...

And given that they already share their news studio with SPIN, it might be hard for them to record a regular podcast only bit from now on...

Yeah they have a studio for recording, a production studio and a news booth (now not in use.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I think the radio forum here has developed a lot over the past couple of months. It's great to see so many informative, interesting and funny replies here. I haven't seen a mod in a while which is usually a good sign :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

_feedback_ wrote: »
    I think the radio forum here has developed a lot over the past couple of months. It's great to see so many informative, interesting and funny replies here. I haven't seen a mod in a while which is usually a good sign :)

Sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

f you say mod 3 times quickly one normally turns up..Ha ha!

Wnolan1992 your correct, SPIN & 98FM recently moved their news teams to Marconi House to join Today FM, Phantom and Newstalk.

iluvlamp - When they were in The Malt House that would be correct but now 98FM do their bulletins at half past and on the hour and SPIN do theirs at quarter to the hour.

So when you heard "One more quick thing, I now you need to get out of that studio for the SPIN people." The SPIN guys were probably impatiently waiting to move in to do their bulletin.

98 have always had their news on the hour and at half past and SPIN have always had their news at quarter to the hour so this isnt a new development. If Ray said this on hour he was joking as i can assure you they dont share newsbooths,nor do they share any studio space. SPIN has plenty of studio and booths themselves.

98 have always had their news on the hour and at half past and SPIN have always had their news at quarter to the hour so this isnt a new development. If Ray said this on hour he was joking as i can assure you they dont share newsbooths,nor do they share any studio space. SPIN has plenty of studio and booths themselves.

I didn't say the time was a new development. I said they have moved their news teams to Marconi House and they now use the same news booth for their bulletins. I can assure you they now broadcast from the same booth in Marconi House. As for the get out for the SPIN crew it could have been at the top of the hour or near to quarter to the hour as SPIN do news at quarter past and quarter to during the breakfast show.

EDIT: Just read over what I said it may have come accross that I was suggesting they changed their times, I didn't mean it like that I meant it would be easy for a SPIN newsreader to read the news at quarter to the hour and 98 newsreader on the hour, SPIN at quarter past and 98 at half past.

Also; anyone hear Brendan O'Loughlin (one of 98's news anchors) reading SPINs news just now?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Anyone else trying to use the listen back feature on the website now? Is it just me or has the whole thing crashed?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,898 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ray and JP losing it when introducing DJ Cash For Gold in the DJ Jayo bit was hilarious!

• Advertisement

Ah ya listening to the podcast from today and the lads seem to be starting to hit their stride. Rome is nearly finished and "deano" seems to a good laugh in fairness to her. Ray has lucked out with newsreaders in fairness.

Advertisement