Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,898 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Loved JP and Ray talking about 3D Printers this morning, and JP's reaction to modern technology:

JP: "I don't believe such technology exists.. I refuse to. It's like when smartphones came out. I was like nooooo.. your phone's got a camera in it... noooo, that's not a phone."
    Ray: "How can you call a phone an Apple? Gimme a break..!"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Haha the bios of the lads were brilliant.

" Returns pandas to the wild in Asia."

And rays one of JP was actually all true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

i dunno i just dont think it suits them i think their best radion would be evening, they were filling in for kc one evening about a onth ago on todayfm and they were back to their old best, let loose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I'm loving them in the morning. The gaps between when the lads are talking on air are quite short. On TodayFM you might have a 3-4 minute ad break followed by a news break followed by a song which sometimes would add up to 10-15 minutes.

On 98 the longest break between them on air is only ever 3-4 minutes.

Now if only they could scrap the kids bit I'd be well pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Clanket wrote: »
    I'm loving them in the morning. The gaps between when the lads are talking on air are quite short. On TodayFM you might have a 3-4 minute ad break followed by a news break followed by a song which sometimes would add up to 10-15 minutes.

On 98 the longest break between them on air is only ever 3-4 minutes.

Now if only they could scrap the kids bit I'd be well pleased.

The best thing about the kids bit is the bed (MGMT?) they use....

Although, to be fair, I did laugh my ass off on Monday when the child read out the prepared really complicated answer for the last question and Ray was just losing his sh*t in studio. :pac:

• Advertisement

AHAHA. :D

Ray: "I swear to God, I had to buy three new shirts yesterday [because I've put on weight]."
    JP: "What, and you sewed them together?"

Brilliant. Almost makes the fact that I'm operating on 30 minutes sleep bearable. :)

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Brilliant. Almost makes the fact that I'm operating on 30 minutes sleep bearable. :)

:eek::eek: A night?

Clanket wrote: »
    :eek::eek: A night?

Yup. About an hour's sleep since I got up on Monday morning at 8am.

God bless college deadlines fast approaching and my innate ability to leave sh*t to the last minute. :pac:

I hear you. If they gave marks in college for procrastination I'd be a straight A student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I have to say, I'm enjoying the 'bantz' between the lads and Deeno and Barry Dunne. The 'Show and Tell' bit is obviously the new 'Gauntlet' and so far it's been good and will probably only get better so I'm happy with that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

The best thing about the kids bit is the bed (MGMT?) they use....

Although, to be fair, I did laugh my ass off on Monday when the child read out the prepared really complicated answer for the last question and Ray was just losing his sh*t in studio. :pac:

Yeah MGMT - Kids :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Olly Murs was really good yesterday morning. Hopefully some celebs will pop up now and again to mix things up a bit. I can't understand how the kids bit has survived through various breakfast shows on 98FM, it's rubbish and should be scrapped but to be fair, Ray and JP make the most of it.
    Overall, I'm absolitely loving Ray and JP on breakfast now. Ray is a fantastic presenter who suits breakfast perfectly IMO and the banter between him and JP makes the show brilliant.

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Olly Murs was really good yesterday morning. Hopefully some celebs will pop up now and again to mix things up a bit. I can't understand how the kids bit has survived through various breakfast shows on 98FM, it's rubbish and should be scrapped but to be fair, Ray and JP make the most of it.
    Overall, I'm absolitely loving Ray and JP on breakfast now. Ray is a fantastic presenter who suits breakfast perfectly IMO and the banter between him and JP makes the show brilliant.
    I agree and the newsreaders gel well with the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

I have an odd question about the format of how their competitions are run, if anyone would be able to shed some light on it:

For example, the Celebrity Stuck for Words comp. Ray asks people to text in with a guess, then when it comes time, he speaks to 3 people for their answer. Are those three selected randomly to be called from all the entries? Or were they the first three to get their texts in? And does that mean that every other entry in that day is also incorrect, coz if they had a correct one, would they find it and make sure to call that person back and get them on air to win. Or is it simply completely random. And they could have 20 correct answers sitting there, but they only select three at reandom to call and those correct answers didn't happen to be in the random selection? And in that case, would the person with the correct answer have to keep texting in their correct answer every day in the hope that their text would be chosen in the random three??

All a bit long and convuluted, but does anyone know how these things work?

Ray explained that they(producers)don't tell the presenter until someone answers it correctly so ray and JP don't know the answer.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ray explained that they(producers)don't tell the presenter until someone answers it correctly so ray and JP don't know the answer.

No, I know he said that, but then I assume that would mean that it's the producers who would have to read all the text entries to see if there is a correct answer and decide who to call back? Coz there would be no point in Ray and JP reading all the entries coz they don't know whet they're looking for.

I agree and the newsreaders gel well with the lads.

Yeah, they've been great when Ray does talkback with them. I really like when newsreaders are involved in shows, especially during breakfast shows. It makes the show flow better and I quite like hearing the personalities of newsreaders in contrast to their serious, boring stereotype. Deeno and Adrian have been great but I can't wait to hear Teena Gates doing the news when Deeno is off, she is always hilarious- her laugh is so infectious!

No, I know he said that, but then I assume that would mean that it's the producers who would have to read all the text entries to see if there is a correct answer and decide who to call back? Coz there would be no point in Ray and JP reading all the entries coz they don't know whet they're looking for.

But don't the texts appear on rays screen ?

Yeah, they've been great when Ray does talkback with them. I really like when newsreaders are involved in shows, especially during breakfast shows. It makes the show flow better and I quite like hearing the personalities of newsreaders in contrast to their serious, boring stereotype. Deeno and Adrian have been great but I can't wait to hear Teena Gates doing the news when Deeno is off, she is always hilarious- her laugh is so infectious!
    Is deano off ?

It's all just a pick of the hat really, they pick a number ring it back ask for the answer and if the producer nods well its right otherwise - to the next call! :)

• Advertisement

But don't the texts appear on rays screen ?

Oh I have no idea! Do they? If they do that seems even more confusing for me. Coz what's the point in Ray and JP screening them if they don't know what they're looking for. So that would mean then that they are just completely randomly picking three people to call back? And the winning guess could have been sent in and be sitting there but they don't win just coz they're not chosen by the lads to call back? So everyone has to send in their same answer every day in the hope they are chosen? Seems kinda badly organised in that case! :P

It's all just a pick of the hat really, they pick a number ring it back ask for the answer and if the producer nods well its right otherwise - to the next call! :)

Hmmm...I'm sticking with my 'badly organised' analogy ;) In that case the prize money is going up and up every day for 98FM as well. You'd think they'd want to give it away when it's as low as possible for them :P

Hmmm...I'm sticking with my 'badly organised' analogy ;) In that case the prize money is going up and up every day for 98FM as well. You'd think they'd want to give it away when it's as low as possible for them :P

Well it's in the interest of fairness too and it also allows them to keep it running for as long as possible so they don't have to come up with another piece of ground breaking radio :rolleyes:

Well it depends, just say for example its worth €5,000 it may be capped at €5,500 or €6,000. So they may allow it to go up to the cap and then begin to look for the right answer. When celebrity stuck for words first came out it was worth €10,000 and it was capped at €10,000 also. So 98 were in no rush to give it away. :)

Oh I have no idea! Do they? If they do that seems even more confusing for me. Coz what's the point in Ray and JP screening them if they don't know what they're looking for. So that would mean then that they are just completely randomly picking three people to call back? And the winning guess could have been sent in and be sitting there but they don't win just coz they're not chosen by the lads to call back? So everyone has to send in their same answer every day in the hope they are chosen? Seems kinda badly organised in that case! :P

No. Texts don't appear on Foley's screen by default. AFAIK, he can access them, but they he's generally working on queuing up songs and stuff.

The come up on JP's screen, but I imagine for the Celebrity Stuck For Words thing the producers are looking at the texts as they come in and just pick a few numbers to ring back at random.

No. Texts don't appear on Foley's screen by default. AFAIK, he can access them, but they he's generally working on queuing up songs and stuff.

The come up on JP's screen, but I imagine for the Celebrity Stuck For Words thing the producers are looking at the texts as they come in and just pick a few numbers to ring back at random.

JP/ rays screen sure its all the same for jaysus sake. Some people think they are the same person sure.

JP/ rays screen sure its all the same for jaysus sake. Some people think they are the same person sure.

I seriously can't understand people can make a comparison that they are they same person, their voices are completely different in my opinion. :p

Is deano off ?

No, I just meant when she is off on holidays. That could be weeks/months away

No, I just meant when she is off on holidays. That could be weeks/months away

Oh good she seems a good laugh. That jazz mag and flute story was funny out.

Found who I think is the stunning, funny Deeno on the tweet machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Found who I think is the stunning, funny Deeno on the tweet machine.

pics please

Advertisement