Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

TheTechGuy wrote: »

Is She from Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is She from Cork?

Is she ? She doesn't sound like she is.

OH for **** sake I tweeted deeno aswell it seems. I shouldnt be allowed on a computer/phone after pints. I told her she was a legend. :o:o

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Is she ? She doesn't sound like she is.

Well she has a picture there of MMmmmadd a store in Cork

• Advertisement

Well she has a picture there of MMmmmadd a store in Cork

That just proves she has been in cork on north main street.

Hope this thread gets a mention on Monday!

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Hope this thread gets a mention on Monday!

Do they read this thread ?

Somebody in there probably does. Don't know if they read it all the time but ray did mention boards a few weeks back for one reason or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Do they read this thread ?

100% guaranteed that they do. Boards is one of the best ways to get feedback, good and bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I wonder does Darcy read his thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Clanket wrote: »
    I wonder does Darcy read his thread :pac:

If he does, then he's been trolling us for the past number of months. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Have been listening to Foley's new gig the last few weeks via podcast and while I don't enjoy it quite as much as his old show on Today FM, I'm pleasantly surprised at how funny Ray and JP remain, even at 6 in the morning! I miss Ann and Adelle but it's good to hear Nordie Eoghan is still hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    If he does, then he's been trolling us for the past number of months. :pac:

Of course they read these threads. The egocentric nature of dj's mean that any forum of discussion about their trade is equivalent to catnip to them.

They have to look (or at least take a quick peak).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

ads20101 wrote: »
    Of course they read these threads. The egocentric nature of dj's mean that any forum of discussion about their trade is equivalent to catnip to them.

They have to look (or at least take a quick peak).

I dunno, I think it's a bit egocentric to think that people are hanging on the views of some randomers and that it affects their day-to-day working lives. Ultimately there's what, 10-15 regular posters in this thread tops? That's versus having thousands upon thousands of listeners. So given that TINY sample size it'd be incredibly foolish to take anything said here, good OR bad, seriously.

Also, online reviews (especially anonymous ones) can be quite cutting and get to things that you simply can't change because they're ingrained within you. How much grief did Ann Gleeson used to take for her laugh, for example? She can't just go away and work on designing a new, radio-friendly laugh. That's the way she laughs and she's stuck with it, for better or worse.

A lot of the armchair critics also don't understand or consider the nature of the listeners as a whole, nor do they fully understand the techniques and logic behind what a presenter is doing. And they confuse "I would personally like it this way," with "It HAS to be this way, damnit!"

For example, I'd almost put money on it that a lot more people than you think love the kids section on the show. 'Kids being cute' just works for people on the radio, even if the actual substance of the link isn't fantastic. But that's almost unanimously panned here. So what would you do? Please the small minority for the sake of appeasing the majority? That's a great way to lose a job.

I know he used to mention specific boards, Radiowaves, iTunes comments etc, but he was (and probably still is) incredibly easy to bait, so considering he barely mentions it anymore then I'd say it just washes right over him. And he'd be better for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

So, odd thing happened this morning. I entered the Celebrity Stuck for Words comp last Friday. Got a call from 98FM about 6:55 this morning asking if I'd like to come on and play today and I said yes. She told me she'd call me back in a few minutes. She took my name and where I am from. She seemed to be very unimpressed that I wasn't in Dublin and that I'd listen online. Anyway, she still said she'd call back. 20 - 25minutes went by. The comp came and went, and no call.

Fine if they decided they couldn't use someone from outside Dublin, but I could have easily lied and said I was in Dublin. And I find it very unprofessional and rude that they didn't call back when they said they would. I didn't call them back coz I didn't see the point. Still though, black mark against how 98 is run. Really quite unimpressed with that level of dealing with listeners. That's just my little rant if the day :)

So, odd thing happened this morning. I entered the Celebrity Stuck for Words comp last Friday. Got a call from 98FM about 6:55 this morning asking if I'd like to come on and play today and I said yes. She told me she'd call me back in a few minutes. She took my name and where I am from. She seemed to be very unimpressed that I wasn't in Dublin and that I'd listen online. Anyway, she still said she'd call back. 20 - 25minutes went by. The comp came and went, and no call.

Fine if they decided they couldn't use someone from outside Dublin, but I could have easily lied and said I was in Dublin. And I find it very unprofessional and rude that they didn't call back when they said they would. I didn't call them back coz I didn't see the point. Still though, black mark against how 98 is run. Really quite unimpressed with that level of dealing with listeners. That's just my little rant if the day :)

That's bad form in fairness...

The least they could've done was just tell you straight out that they'd prefer to have Dublin based callers on (which is still fairly bad form because you'd think any listener would be valued, but a little more understandable).

Thats bo***x! least they cuda called ya back!

Yeah, and in fairness I'm not a million miles from Dublin. I'm in North Laois, and you sometimes can get 98 on the radio. It's just the signal is weak and can cut in and out, so it's just easier to listen online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭jimmy2flutes

You're not in the franchise area, so they decided to call someone else. Simple really. They are under no obligation to call you back.

• Advertisement

You're not in the franchise area, so they decided to call someone else. Simple really. They are under no obligation to call you back.

Didn't really think they were obliged to, just thought it was rude and unprofessional, like I said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

It's the same situation with their promotional team and SPIN's if they aren't within the Co.Dublin area they won't be able to do any promotions anywhere else.

While unfortunate they didn't call you back they probably realised that they wouldn't have been able to give you they money had your answer been correct and that would have been an awkward phone call.

While unfortunate they didn't call you back they probably realised that they wouldn't have been able to give you they money had your answer been correct and that would have been an awkward phone call.

Haha! Had that been the case it sure would have!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭ispini1984

Haha! Had that been the case it sure would have!! :D

So who was your guess? I could enter and if I win il split it :D:D:D:D:D

ispini1984 wrote: »
    So who was your guess? I could enter and if I win il split it biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Oooohhhhh! I think we'd have to enter some serious negotiation talks regarding the split there!! ;)

Fine if they decided they couldn't use someone from outside Dublin, but I could have easily lied and said I was in Dublin. And I find it very unprofessional and rude that they didn't call back when they said they would. I didn't call them back coz I didn't see the point. Still though, black mark against how 98 is run. Really quite unimpressed with that level of dealing with listeners. That's just my little rant of the day :)

Anywho! To clear this little matter up (for anyone who cares), I ended up emailing 98FM just to tell them I was disappointed and that I had found it all rather rude and unprofessional, and I received an email back from none other than Chris Doyle himself!!! (Or, at least someone using that email account in the office :P) He apologised and assured me that they do not pick or chose based on where listeners are. (That could be lies, but at least he acknowledged that point I had made). He said someone absolutely should have called me back to apologise and he will raise it with them tomorrow. Thanks for bringing it to his attention yadda yadda blah blah blah.

End of story really. But I appreciated getting the email. And the black mark against them has been removed thanks to that simple apology. See how easily these things can be solved! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Jeez, that's either phenomenal customer service or a testament to the power of boards.ie (in which case, discard my last post).

On the off-chance it's the latter...HEY 98FM, GIMME A JOB!

Update: Just got an email reply off Chris Doyle. It just says, "No." Oh. Okay then. :o

Little red riding hood and the three bears ? How different is Dundalk to the rest of us ?

Ah... podcast only bit from Monday was gas. Just catching up with it now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

It's the same situation with their promotional team and SPIN's if they aren't within the Co.Dublin area they won't be able to do any promotions anywhere else.

Ya see this ain't true. I'm here in Limerick and I've won a few things from SPIN 1038.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Well I think this is gone a fair bit off topic now, but anyway, I have been called to go on a few shows before for bits and pieces after texting in, and not once have I actually gotten to go on air, the station will ring a few people, say 6 if they are having 3 on air, then make sure they can all go on air, then just ring 3 back, same with Fm104 and the their phoneshow, they ring most people back and ask them what they want to talk about, a handful make it on air. As for whether or not people are picked based on where they live is another thing, but why would a Dublin radio station want a winner from outside Dublin, would just be awkward, I couldn't imagine winning a competition on a BBC station, or one from Northern Ireland for that matter.

Advertisement