Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Sully wrote: »
    I see Today FM brought back Nordie Eoin (sp?) for the KC Show.. Is he still on with Ray? Assume its to boost the show?

I dont think he is under contract to anyone so can appear wherever he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I dont think he is under contract to anyone so can appear wherever he wants.

Indeed. He's doing the movie show thing on RTE as well.

He's certainly come a long way from the guy they got to go to a press screening because they didn't have time. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I see Today FM brought back Nordie Eoin (sp?) for the KC Show.. Is he still on with Ray? Assume its to boost the show?

Really?When?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Really?When?

He was on today

Havent cot the KC show in awhile...Nice too hear nordy back tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Really?When?

I was listening in the car and it was at just about 12.30, just before it maybe, 12.20. Doing some kind of local news thing or something, random/funny stories from around the country, I think.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was listening in the car and it was at just about 12.30, just before it maybe, 12.20. Doing some kind of local news thing or something, random/funny stories from around the country, I think.

The first story was old and was national news as it was a court case. Didn't listen to the rest tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

The first story was old and was national news as it was a court case. Didn't listen to the rest tho!

Heard something about falling rocks in Ballybunion when I was listening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Listen to it most mornings between 8 and 9, like it but have to say I miss lazy radio. I need my fix of retro tv themes!
    iseegirls wrote: »
    Good to see that the replacement was that memorable! :p

Indeed. Also, they had another girl doing the news last week. Instead of Deano it was some one called Aideen Finnegan? :rolleyes:

So he wasnt doing movie's??Now im really confused :(:o:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

No Foley this morning as he's sick but where is Jp?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

The one morning I am up at 6am and no Foley :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Niles wrote: »
    Indeed. Also, they had another girl doing the news last week. Instead of Deano it was some one called Aideen Finnegan? :rolleyes:

My Friend, Aideen Finnegan is Deano :eek:

She hardly comes on and says
    its 8.30 live from the Dublin News Center I'm Deano
    That would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    No Foley this morning as he's sick but where is Jp?!

So if one is sick so is the other?
    Is that how its gonna work?
    Wasnt like that on TodayFM when Foley was out
    JP continued on etc
    Something seems suss to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

youngblood wrote: »
    So if one is sick so is the other?
    Is that how its gonna work?
    Wasnt like that on TodayFM when Foley was out
    JP continued on etc
    Something seems suss to me!

It is quite strange that JP was off just because Foley was sick. What if Foley is off for the rest of the week? Does that mean JP gets the full week off as well? They've both just had a 2 week holiday.

Obviously, the cover presenter would never have as strong a rapport with JP as Foley does but listeners would rather have a decent cover presenter and JP instead of neither of them being on. 98FM knew that people were looking forward to their return on air and now they're off again? Steven Cooper or one of Dermot & Dave could have stood in.

Foley too go back too Today Fm and KC too take over brekkie on 98?MAKE IT HAPPEN!

smurfs5 wrote: »
    It is quite strange that JP was off just because Foley was sick. What if Foley is off for the rest of the week? Does that mean JP gets the full week off as well? They've both just had a 2 week holiday.

Obviously, the cover presenter would never have as strong a rapport with JP as Foley does but listeners would rather have a decent cover presenter and JP instead of neither of them being on. 98FM knew that people were looking forward to their return on air and now they're off again? Steven Cooper or one of Dermot & Dave could have stood in.

I'm sure JP could have covered it himself

Maybe JP is still learning the setup in 98.

Don't forget that it was only in the last year at Today FM that he started presenting shows solo without a techie running the desk, and now there's a whole new set-up to learn.

Probably cheaper for 98 to just let Brian McColl host the show and run the desk than pay JP and a techie for the morning.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Maybe JP is still learning the setup in 98.

Don't forget that it was only in the last year at Today FM that he started presenting shows solo without a techie running the desk, and now there's a whole new set-up to learn.

Probably cheaper for 98 to just let Brian McColl host the show and run the desk than pay JP and a techie for the morning.

It's the same RCS System, only big difference is the place of the faders and I'm sure that's not that hard to grasp. Barry Dunne covered this morning then Claire Solan covered his show. Would it not have made sense to let Claire cover the morning as she'd has the experience in covering the brekkie show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

It's the same RCS System, only big difference is the place of the faders and I'm sure that's not that hard to grasp. Barry Dunne covered this morning then Claire Solan covered his show. Would it not have made sense to let Claire cover the morning as she'd has the experience in covering the brekkie show

That is the exact reason she didn't cover Breakfast. Having been the presenter of the Morning Crew only a few months ago, the last thing 98FM would do would be to let her do that show again, even if it's only cover work. It would just confuse casual listeners and the PD wouldn't go back on his decision by letting Solan near that show.
    Also, Paul Bonass (techie guy for both SPIN and 98FM) is on holidays so he wouldn't be around to cover that side of it if JP were to fly solo so it probably worked out cheaper to let a cover presenter who knows how to do everything to sit in.

I really can't believe that JP is just sitting at home when he could be doing the show with a cover presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Yes this is getting a bit messy at 98fm . Claire solan simply isnt strong enough to host breakfast and considering they just let her go from that slot it would send mixed messages putting her back on there. JP should have the strength to host the show himself, its crazy that they dont / cant trust him to host the show alone. Its also crazy that if one part of the duo is off sick then both are off. They simply should have put someone like Brian Mccoll in there instead of upsetting the barry dunne slot too.

On a side note , I notice the Real Radio network of stations in the UK have dropped Ryan seacrest from their schedule opting for local output instead of syndication, this is something I believe 98fm will change their minds on if they can manage to get advertisers back on side.

98fm have a real opportunity to take listeners off both fm 104 and q102 especially at breakfast. Foley although not my cup of tea, is sharper than the strawberry duo put together, and I think q102's third breakfast host in 4 years, Scott Williams, will lose q102 listeners. In fact my prediction is within 6 months - 12 months Q102 will be fourth in dublin, with 98fm third with spin competing with fm 104 for top spot in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Were they definitely off sick?

Could Foley have had Take me Out commitments?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Synode wrote: »
    Were they definitely off sick?

Could Foley have had Take me Out commitments?

Right not having being able to listen but is take me out not showing now on tv3 ? The last time he was off today fm to film all of them in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

A breakfast show is a little different in terms of RCS though, different news ques etc. Although was a little surprised to her Baz on this morning, I think JP hasn't been given the opportunity to work on his own. The fact he got the "Friday Night's with JP" on Today FM was good but I always got the impression that he was living in Ray's shadow and hasn't been given the reins enough to make it "The Ray and JP Show!"

A breakfast show is a little different in terms of RCS though, different news ques etc. Although was a little surprised to her Baz on this morning, I think JP hasn't been given the opportunity to work on his own. The fact he got the "Friday Night's with JP" on Today FM was good but I always got the impression that he was living in Ray's shadow and hasn't been given the reins enough to make it "The Ray and JP Show!"

On this, I believe he's getting that Friday night show on 98FM. "The Corona Hot Mix" or something.

He mentioned it on the podcast once IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    On this, I believe he's getting that Friday night show on 98FM. "The Corona Hot Mix" or something.

He mentioned it on the podcast once IIRC.

Well that'll be good for him, but more than likely voice-tracked.

If it remains the Corona Hot Mix with JP it'll be very generic links i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Well Ray did mention on the podcast yesterday that he really was quite ill. And even JP said he looked really peaky. Who knows though, I'd say JP didn't necessarily get the day off work. Maybe he was given the option to do a duo with Mr.Fill-In this morning, but maybe JP wasn't pushed coz he had other work he could be getting on with, and maybe Mr.Fill-In prefers to go solo. JP may have been doing a lot of work for the upcoming week or two, they both said in yesterdays podcast that they did no prep work over Christmas. JP may have been playing catch-up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

JP could have been in, just not on air? I doubt the four hours on air is all they do.

Hope they are on tomorrow, I'm in work tonight so listen on my way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

My Friend, Aideen Finnegan is Deano :eek:

She hardly comes on and says That would be cool.

Twas' sarcasm on my part, just found it weird how different the show is sans Foley - even down to little details like McColl referring to her by her proper name rather the moniker Foley applies.

• Advertisement

Niles wrote: »
    Twas' sarcasm on my part, just found it weird how different the show is sans Foley - even down to little details like McColl referring to her by her proper name rather the moniker Foley applies.

Sarcasm is hard to convey through text.

I nearly went into explaining how Aideen is = Deano :L luckily I didn't

Advertisement