Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Sarcasm is hard to convey through text.

I nearly went into explaining how Aideen is = Deano :L luckily I didn't

Phew, close one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Synode wrote: »
    Phew, close one :pac:

I was thinking of a way to word it without insulting ones intelligence then after about 5 seconds I gave up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

why is this thread still open ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

listenup wrote: »

Because he still has a show?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭smallfridge

listenup wrote: »

Like above because, he still has his show. On a separate note, I've been listening most days since they started, and It's sounds really good. I was worried about the tight format because he tends to ramble a bit but its working really well and himself and JP have a great on Air way with the news And sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I dunno, maybe I'm still just getting used to it, but I miss the Today FM show. When I listen to KC I feel more...familiar than I do with Ray's 98 show. Adding Lenny there was a great move as the show immediately has good chemistry, and I like them just sitting down having the craic. Give them a few staple features over time (which they're already establishing) and they'll be flying.

Not that Ray & JP are doing badly on 98: I think it's impressive how quickly they've built a strong rapport with Aideen, Adrian and Barry for example (I think Adrian, in particular, is brilliant with his little inputs) and settled into a tighter format.

But it just feels a bit more...radio-y. And I liked Ray on Today FM because he was anti-radio: he could have the chats like you would with your mates, but also make it snappy and tightly produced so that it was good from a technical standpoint too. He used to take the piss out of shows that throw to 'Thunders' in a local shopping centre, and I'd scream "THANK YOU!" at the radio when he did. Now he does exactly that with no sense of irony. Mind you, they still probably do it better than the rest, but still.

Only with Friday shows do I really get the familiar vibe of the old show, with DJ Jayo, Feedback, the mix etc. I dunno, I don't dislike it (maybe I just miss Ann?), but I feel like I'm missing the old show and it's not completely filled the void yet. I'll still listen though until they hook me again. I'm sure they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

leggo wrote: »
    I dunno, maybe I'm still just getting used to it, but I miss the Today FM show. When I listen to KC I feel more...familiar than I do with Ray's 98 show. Adding Lenny there was a great move as the show immediately has good chemistry, and I like them just sitting down having the craic. Give them a few staple features over time (which they're already establishing) and they'll be flying.

Not that Ray & JP are doing badly on 98: I think it's impressive how quickly they've built a strong rapport with Aideen, Adrian and Barry for example (I think Adrian, in particular, is brilliant with his little inputs) and settled into a tighter format.

But it just feels a bit more...radio-y. And I liked Ray on Today FM because he was anti-radio: he could have the chats like you would with your mates, but also make it snappy and tightly produced so that it was good from a technical standpoint too. He used to take the piss out of shows that throw to 'Thunders' in a local shopping centre, and I'd scream "THANK YOU!" at the radio when he did. Now he does exactly that with no sense of irony. Mind you, they still probably do it better than the rest, but still.

Only with Friday shows do I really get the familiar vibe of the old show, with DJ Jayo, Feedback, the mix etc. I dunno, I don't dislike it (maybe I just miss Ann?), but I feel like I'm missing the old show and it's not completely filled the void yet. I'll still listen though until they hook me again. I'm sure they will.

Same here... I like the 98fm incarnation but preferred the Today FM one. I think they were ideally suited to the lunch time slot, miss elements like 'Lazy radio'. But as you say they're not doing a bad job with the breakfast slot, integrating with the news/sports guys etc. I also preferred the way they could ramble on more on Today FM, with only two News slots versus one every half hour on 98.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

Niles wrote: »
    Same here... I like the 98fm incarnation but preferred the Today FM one. I think they were ideally suited to the lunch time slot, miss elements like 'Lazy radio'. But as you say they're not doing a bad job with the breakfast slot, integrating with the news/sports guys etc. I also preferred the way they could ramble on more on Today FM, with only two News slots versus one every half hour on 98.

A breakfast slot is a breakfast slot I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Anyone who listens to today's podcast was I the only one who taught of the word that ray thought JP was on about that began with S ?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Anyone who listens to today's podcast was I the only one who taught of the word that ray thought JP was on about that began with S ?

Yes.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I used to listen to The Blast religiously when I was younger, but could easily count on one hand how many times I listened to the afternoon show over the years. But now I've started back listening to them on breakfast when I get up and during my commute to work. I'm really liking the show I must admit! The ads don't even annoy me that much :P

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Love the show myself, BUT……. I wish they would change that fecking playlist. I can’t take anymore of Pink, Rihanna and her fecking diamonds of Bruno F~~~~~g mars. The show is great but they have to do something about that music. They must have the smallest budget in radio for music it’s the same songs all the time. Rant over… ;)

It was the same on Today FM. Same songs over and over all day long.

They really should get rid of the obligatory kids bit. Does my head in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

I love most of the music but I agree that the kids bit has to go. It is cringeworthy and Ray and JP clearly don't want to do it. You can tell they're embarrassed by it. Why is there a need for it? They should ditch it and just have a cute kid saying a show catchphrase or "98FM" á la "International Radio 1" on The Chris Moyles Show.

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Why is there a need for it?

Because parents love that soppy sh*te. There's a reason why every breakfast show in the country (that I know of) has it. Not a chance of it being got rid of.

As for the music, they really have very little choice in what they play. They had more leeway at Today FM, hence you saw Foley's taste come out more often. But 98 are slave to the playlist system; ie. one dude picking the songs that he thinks listeners want to hear and then those being played ad nauseum until he feels like adding/removing songs.

I'm a parent and I hate it. Absolute drivel

I'm a parent and I hate it. Absolute drivel

I'll rephrase:

Most parents love that soppy sh*te.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

I hate the Obligatory Kids Bit too. We get it, all the kids are scripted and it sounds funny when they're very intelligent or flippant about Ray and JPs lack of research. Good one, now move on. They got rid of Getting To Know You quite quickly I thought, that could have been an interesting feature to keep on.

I think Ray is getting sick of palying the same music too. He seems to be starting to use the first hour of the show to play whatever he wants, coz I guess his listenership would be lowest during that first hour so it's not as big a deal. Like today, he went on about Five, which was great. It was a hark back to the ways of Today FM when he'd go off on Steps tangents or whatever he was into at the time. I miss that :( And was it on Monday he was banging out old school tunes; it was great! Got everyone really pumped up on a Monday morning :) Bringing it back to the fun random-filled times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Bummppd

Ah I don't mind it and if it keeps him from doing any more t.v, We should all be thankful!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I hate the Obligatory Kids Bit too. We get it, all the kids are scripted and it sounds funny when they're very intelligent or flippant about Ray and JPs lack of research. Good one, now move on. They got rid of Getting To Know You quite quickly I thought, that could have been an interesting feature to keep on.

I think Ray is getting sick of palying the same music too. He seems to be starting to use the first hour of the show to play whatever he wants, coz I guess his listenership would be lowest during that first hour so it's not as big a deal. Like today, he went on about Five, which was great. It was a hark back to the ways of Today FM when he'd go off on Steps tangents or whatever he was into at the time. I miss that :( And was it on Monday he was banging out old school tunes; it was great! Got everyone really pumped up on a Monday morning :) Bringing it back to the fun random-filled times :)

Couldnt agree more, I detest the necessity of having a kids oriented slot on breakfast radio, very rarely is it entertaining, more often then not the children are mono-syllabic and if they arent they are too precocious. I understand radio stations are trying to draw parents and children to the station from early morning but it all sounds false and forced to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭smallfridge

Anyone Know why this morning between 6 and 6.30 there was a look back/best bits played?

The lads didnt actually go live until the headlines at 6.30

Were they Late maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Anyone Know why this morning between 6 and 6.30 there was a look back/best bits played?

The lads didnt actually go live until the headlines at 6.30

Were they Late maybe?

Wondered that too. They were playing the best bits before 6 too which is cool. I was half asleep laughing at Jayo! :D

Ann Gleeson is in remission according to the lads. And no its not a Colin Farrell film or a place in Bulgaria despite JPs best efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Not wild about the obligatory kids bit either, can be funny but generally encourages me to switch station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

The lads must have a new start time of 06.30 do they? Best bits ran on after 6 today again. Any mention in the podcast?

Great news about Ann

_feedback_ wrote: »
    The lads must have a new start time of 06.30 do they? Best bits ran on after 6 today again. Any mention in the podcast?

Great news about Ann

No mention of it on Monday anyway. Dj jayo was good on Monday. Can you sell me a kettle ? "Kenwood." "Well is he on today ?" Haha brilliant.

Yes it is great news about ms gleeson alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

Ann's getting better ... amazing news !!!

Heard KC say she will be back on the show soon ( I presume she's staying at Todayfm )

On the Foley show: It's the best music breakfast show in the Dublin market already. Very Fresh and much more
    friendly. The music tho .... It's the same 7 songs on rotation ... every ... single ... day ....

Ray said on one of the podcasts (think it was Tuesday's but not 100%) that they'd definitely try and have Ann on the show again in the future.

Great news to hear she's getting better. :)

Having been behind in the podcasts due to work.

A few things.

Ray seems to refer to aideen as aideen now and at least this week(21st January) doesn't say it as much and once or twice he has caught himself when about to say Deeno. Maybe it's come from above.

Also we now know the ages and home places of three of the four people I consider to be the breakfast crew.And JP(such a legend they gave him two names), is no longer the oldest on the team if my maths is right. That goes to Adrian "sports ninja" Barry who is older.

Also a nice geographical spread with Louth, mayo, and Westmeath represented, with aideen been described as being"out the road." by ray which doesn't narrow it down.

I think the show is great because Aideen and Adrian are allowed contribute and it doesn't seem out of place, as it helps that both are funny and seem to have good timing which links well with the two lads.

Well that's my two cents anyway and I was worried when they went to 98 that the show and the lads would suffer but I need not have worried.

• Advertisement

Ray was slept in this morning so the show was live at half six.

Advertisement