Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ray was slept in this morning so the show was live at half six.

Did they say that on the podcast? Cos I'm pretty sure it hasn't been live until 6.30 all week... surely they aren't late every morning :D

It has taken a few weeks for them to really settle in, but I think they are back to themselves and performing to a higher standard than they were in Today FM. As above, the team are good too. Adrian in particular is funny. Himself and JP are good.

They're just miles ahead of anyone else...

I laughed at the audio insert they use when they lose a caller. It's Ray and JP saying something like "Gimme 20 watts of phone line. All clear" and zapping like they would in the movies when reviving someone with the electric treatment!! Gives them a few seconds to get the caller back and no mumbling. Wonder was that an original idea.... thought it was very clever.

Music is atrocious though.. Not the fault of the lads obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Don't hear Foley anymore because I don't live in Dublin, how's Ann doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Don't hear Foley anymore because I don't live in Dublin, how's Ann doing?

She's gone into remission now according to the lads on the podcast. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    She's gone into remission now according to the lads on the podcast. :)

Ah that's great, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

LeakyGee wrote: »

On the Foley show: It's the best music breakfast show in the Dublin market already. Very Fresh and much more
    friendly. The music tho .... It's the same 7 songs on rotation ... every ... single ... day ....

I'm pretty sure Of Monsters And Men- Little Talks was the first song after the 8pm news 3 days last week. As great a song as it is, the rotation of the same songs is getting boring. Could they not mix it up a bit and include some new music e.g. Tom Odell, Jake Bugg, Two Door Cinema Club, Villagers etc. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

If I have to hear Rihanna's 'Diamonds' one more bloody time, I'm going to smash my laptop off the wall!

New music has the potential to alienate listeners. Far safer to stick with the same playlist, because while a listener might turn off if they hear a new song they don't like, they're unlikely to turn off if they hear a song they like, even if they've heard it loads of times already.

Unfortunately there's not much that can be done on Ray's end. Probably one dude in 98 that chooses the playlist, and Ray will be obliged to play a certain number of playlist songs per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Still 6:30? Werent on at 6:00 this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Still 6:30? Werent on at 6:00 this morning :(

Well I don't know about the other mornings but Wednesday was because ray slept in as he said on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

smurfs5 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Of Monsters And Men- Little Talks was the first song after the 8pm news 3 days last week.

Arrgh! That song gives me violent flashbacks to having to endure listening to Ray D'Arcy everyday in my previous job.
    If I have to hear Rihanna's 'Diamonds' one more bloody time, I'm going to smash my laptop off the wall!

I'm the same with 'Locked out of heaven'!

On a brighter note, they played 'Call me Maybe' the other week and I couldn't but help think of this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvWGSbzbDYA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

I feel Foley needs way more room to be 'Foley' he gets a bit of waffle time after the news but then they have to rush through the bits because of music - breaks - benchmarks ect

Doing different versions of the same feature at the same time every single day can makes a show very stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I feel Foley needs way more room to be 'Foley' he gets a bit of waffle time after the news but then they have to rush through the bits because of music - breaks - benchmarks ect

Doing different versions of the same feature at the same time every single day can makes a show very stale.

I was afraid this would be the case. Breakfast is too structured to facilitate indulging Foleys penchant for, well indulging himself for several minutes at a time. At saying that i hope its a success for him and 98fm because the muck on fm104's strawberry is insufferable. Foley is good enough to take on 104 but does he have the interest to stay the course in the medium to long term ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,900 ✭✭✭✭Basq

"He's so smelly even his Sure deodorant is unconvinced!"

Love me some DJ Jayo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

heybaby wrote: »
    I was afraid this would be the case. Breakfast is too structured to facilitate indulging Foleys penchant for, well indulging himself for several minutes at a time. At saying that i hope its a success for him and 98fm because the muck on fm104's strawberry is insufferable. Foley is good enough to take on 104 but does he have the interest to stay the course in the medium to long term ?

Let's say in two years the show is number 1, then Foley wants to move back to TodayFM ( Which will happen ) Where will that leave 98 ?

Maybe he will stay there long term ( 5 years or so )

Let's say in two years the show is number 1, then Foley wants to move back to TodayFM ( Which will happen ) Where will that leave 98 ?

Maybe he will stay there long term ( 5 years or so )

Well does anyone know when Dempsey will piss off from TodayFm and Foley has hinted he'll be back there so has he been told when Dempsey is leaving I wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Well does anyone know when Dempsey will piss off from TodayFm and Foley has hinted he'll be back there so has he been told when Dempsey is leaving I wonder ?

Oh now that would be nice. Foley on morning today fm, AND it'll mean I can pick him up clear on the radio when driving into work from the sticks!

It's that time of year again. Time to dust off this old gem:

Yesterday the ghost of breakfast shows past turned up and sure it was grand and the bit she missed most was the traffic ?

I laughed on friday when the lads were telling the story about the lad who asked them about work experience on radio, and the lads said, "ya grand" after they had been talking about a former work buddy and Adrian went, "it was darcy wasn't it ?"

And, JP was neglected as a child it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Hearing the new show for the first time now. Well he fitted into the morning slot nicely. Great vibe from everyone there. Good craic from the off. Hope he's back on national airwaves sometime. Aswad is a good song to wake up to! and that 80's reunited festival sounds like some laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Ok I have given it a few weeks but the obligatory kids bit has to go (I switch off now for 10 mins while its on), its even ruining the MGMT tune for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,900 ✭✭✭✭Basq

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Ok I have given it a few weeks but the obligatory kids bit has to go (I switch off now for 10 mins while its on), its even ruining the MGMT tune for me
    It is really REALLY REALLY bad..

I skip it in the podcast too. It's the one thing in the show I don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I do the exact same :P really don't like it.

Wonder will JP be over the norovirus *dun dun dun* tomorrow? The show feels weird without him! Also, I've never heard Johnny Lyons do the sports news on 98, but the Two Johnnies is possibly my fave feature ever.

So the JNLR's are out. Not much can be learned from this set as regards to Foley given he only started in November/December (can't remember which), but it does show how bad a state that slot was in before his arrival. 50k listeners, whereas FM104 have 100k.

Will be fascinating to see if in the next results (I'm assuming April/May?) if he can begin to bridge that gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Where can you see the results. I'm always googling JNLR and can never find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Synode wrote: »
    Where can you see the results. I'm always googling JNLR and can never find them.

http://www.bai.ie/

http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/102448-national-listnership-by-station-2012-q4-jnlr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

How is FM104 so popular? Is it the Strawberry Alarm Clock that's making them so popular?

Compared to the S.A.C - Ray Foley's show is a much better!

wierd to see KC's slot rose over the past month :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

iseegirls wrote: »
    How is FM104 so popular? Is it the Strawberry Alarm Clock that's making them so popular?

Compared to the S.A.C - Ray Foley's show is a much better!

wierd to see KC's slot rose over the past month :eek:

It's a left over from the Colm and Jim-Jim days. Used to be the best thing on radio. A lack of decent alternatives meant most people just stuck with it. Hopefully Foley can change it now but it will take time. People are slow to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Where's the lads this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrettyPolly155

Synode wrote: »
    Where's the lads this morning?

Jp has the NOROVIRUS *cue sound effects*

Maybe Ray is infected again?

Advertisement