Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Anyone on the online bandwidth go to the 98fm site or Facebook page. The early mornings REALLY aren't agreeing with ray going on that picture today.

:confused: Don't see anything wrong with him?
    Would you rather he wore a suit? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Yep I can't see anything either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

JP really does have a huge head. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

In fairness anyone who gets into radio as a career and can't handle early mornings is a bit like someone going for a job being a bus driver and suffering from travel sickness. Kinda defeats the purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

leggo wrote: »
    In fairness anyone who gets into radio as a career and can't handle early mornings is a bit like someone going for a job being a bus driver and suffering from travel sickness. Kinda defeats the purpose.
    In fairness theres early starts and early starts then theres 4am wake up calls for brekkie radio..
    Look at kc in Galway bay he got sacked "after he forgot too show up a few times" then a few years later does red fm in cork and wins a PPI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

That comparison's a bit of a stretch tbh. As MrMac says, Breakfast radio is a whole different animal. You could easily have a very successful career in radio while never having to get up early. Take Foley himself for example, He probably hasn't had to get up before 9am since before 2004. Old habits die hard and all that.

Sure you could. But it's a career path where the top jobs are with early starts. So it's a bit of an insane move to get into the industry if you absolutely hate them, or at least aren't able to suck it up and accept a paycheque.

I just don't see 'he's not able for the early starts' as an acceptable excuse for substandard performance (I don't think the lads' performance IS, btw, it's just being thrown about). It's part of the job. Deal with it or don't take the job. Simple.

Sure you could. But it's a career path where the top jobs are with early starts. So it's a bit of an insane move to get into the industry if you absolutely hate them, or at least aren't able to suck it up and accept a paycheque.

I just don't see 'he's not able for the early starts' as an acceptable excuse for substandard performance (I don't think the lads' performance IS, btw, it's just being thrown about). It's part of the job. Deal with it or don't take the job. Simple.

Oh I would agree completely. I wouldn't consider it a long term excuse. And I don't think it's an issue in Foley's case tbh. The first hour can be ropey at times, but normally it's great.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Oh I would agree completely. I wouldn't consider it a long term excuse. And I don't think it's an issue in Foley's case tbh. The first hour can be ropey at times, but normally it's great.

Yeah, like I said I don't think it necessarily applies here, but since the idea was brought up I thought I'd say it.

I like the first hour best, personally. It's the most like the Today FM show, where they just chat and mess and say the risqué things they wouldn't get away with at peak times because 'nobody is listening'. It's like a wink to people like us who like Foley being Foley and don't like stereotypical 'Breakfast Jock 2K6+6'.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

iseegirls wrote: »
    :confused: Don't see anything wrong with him?
    Would you rather he wore a suit? :D

Did ya see the head on ray ? Big shattered old sleep deprived head up on him. Or maybe I'm seeing something else.

Nice bit with ray "mam" today, and Adrian and JP doing the old talking in the corner.bit.

Also laughing farm animals = aideen lols.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 panic2000

Heard the new show for the 1st time monday morning..really enjoyed it..

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Bit of a slip-up this morning. Kept talking about the approaching 'Holocaust'....think they may have meant 'apocalyspe'... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Teena Gates is atrocious...

.. hope Deeno is back tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Basq wrote: »
    Teena Gates is atrocious...

.. hope Deeno is back tomorrow!

Yep no craic at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Synode wrote: »
    Yep no craic at all

In fairness she is paid to be a newsreader not to be one of Foley's stooges

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

heybaby wrote: »
    In fairness she is paid to be a newsreader not to be one of Foley's stooges
    Is she paid to have a distinct lack of personality too?

Listened to the end of yesterday's podcast and is the goat thing THAT funny ? It's like Deenos kryptonite and she's incapable of not laughing at it. And listening to today's one and where is Tina gates from ? That accent is a strange one.

Edit: looked at Deeno twitter page and the last three pictures/ videos are of that goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Oh HURRAY for the return of the podcast-only bit yesterday!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

The Dublin News Center - held together with Sellotape.

243393.jpg

Pic - Deenos Twitter
    A desk sellotaped to a desk

The Dublin News Center - held together with Sellotape.

attachment.php?attachmentid=243393&stc=1&d=1362256896

Pic - Deenos Twitter
    A desk sellotaped to a desk

Well done pat balfe.

• Advertisement

Well done pat balfe.

they should have just tried the ole Turn it on turn it off trick

they should have just tried the ole Turn it on turn it off trick

Well according to Deeno he was there all night and they needed to order a new desk from America. Does no one build them in Ireland or GB ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

There all night for a faulty mixer?
    I though pat balfe was today fms engineer or are they free lance?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

MrMac84 wrote: »
    There all night for a faulty mixer?
    I though pat balfe was today fms engineer or are they free lance?

They all work in the same building. The Dublin news centre is in Marconi House so Newstalk Today FM, 98fm spin etc, etc all use the same studios for the news.

Well according to Deeno he was there all night and they needed to order a new desk from America. Does no one build them in Ireland or GB ?

Probably the cheapest for to quote Ray on a different matter "Uncle Dennis"

Probably the cheapest for to quote Ray on a different matter "Uncle Dennis"

I wonder who uncle dennis is ?:D

I wonder who uncle dennis is ?:D

Dennis O Brien... He Formed/ Owns Communicorp

which owns a lot of stations in Ireland... Today FM. 98, both SPINS Newstalk...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Velocity_Girl

Ray mentioned on the show last week that the lovely Ann Gleeson had done an interview on The Morning Show on TV3. It's a really nice interview and can be watched here

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/155/59770/1/The-Morning-Show

She looks fantastic!! :)

Highlights this week were the liveline link and the 51' tv for under fifteen notes and the panic room and the gardai calls and being "from down the country."

• Advertisement

"Hello, Coolock Garda Station?"
    "Yeah hello, is that Coolock Garda Station?"
    "Yeah tis, I just said that."

:P

Advertisement