Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Adrian's still there. Not sure how much longer he has at 98.

Ray said that it was a matter of days rather than weeks so I'd say he could be gone by the end of next week.

Great show today I thought. They sound refreshed and lively after their break. Enjoyed Ray's holiday story. DJ Jayo was really poor today, JP even acknowledged this and said it'd be better on Friday.

Hallelujah, the music has finally improved!!! :) Of Monsters and Men, The Lumineers and Bruno Mars have been played to death but I didn't hear any of them today. The new JT song will probably be played until the summer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Only got one chance to listen and as soon as I turned on, they started talking about Wrestlemania so I had to turn it off in case they gave away any results. Like 10 minutes out of four hours and they pick that time to talk about something I dont want spoiled? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Thought the 'Contractions' song was quite funny, if erring on controversial...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Chris 80

So he's back then. Never heard a presenter being so absent. Must check out the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Was there a podcast yesterday ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Was there a podcast yesterday ?

Nope. Just as well for me, have a few hours to kill now so will have two days worth of stuff to have in the background. :)

While listening back, I heard an ad that says you can "Rate the music" on 98FM to have an input into what they play...

BOARDSIES! ASSEMBLE!

Let's vote down Pink for the love of jaysus! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Post a link if you find it.

Ray was taking the piss this morning out of the playlist he has to stick to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

smurfs5 wrote: »

Done!! Are those songs essentially all 98FM have at the moment? :pac:

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    Done!! Are those songs essentially all 98FM have at the moment? :pac:

It's pretty pathetic, isn't it? The survey is just a sample of the music they play but even the music that 98FM consider "new" is about a month or two old in terms of general airplay on commercial stations.

It comes across that they have a playlist meeting about once a month and then leave that set amount of songs on loop for the next while. :mad:

I really dont get why radio stations dont let established guys like Foley play what they want. Maybe give him a list of 10 songs every two weeks and tell him to play them as often as he can, after that, it's whatever he wants within reason.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I really dont get why radio stations dont let established guys like Foley play what they want. Maybe give him a list of 10 songs every two weeks and tell him to play them as often as he can, after that, it's whatever he wants within reason.

Chris Moyles wasn't even allowed to do this on Radio 1 so if the BBC don't allow their top guys to pick their own music, it certainly won't happen on advertising- dependent commercial stations.

If Foley's music choices are quite niche, it wouldn't go down well. His job is to present the show, not pick the music.

I agree that something's gotta give because 98FM's playlist is banal, dull and actually hampers Foley and JP from becoming the best breakfast show in Dublin. They are clearly the best when it comes to content and entertainment but there comes a stage when it is nauseating when you have to contend with hearing the same 5 artists every morning. Why not mix things up a bit with Ben Howard, HAIM, Jake Bugg, Two Door Cinema Club, Biffy Clyro, Ellie Goulding, Foals, Macklemore, Laura Mvula? They must realise that the unashamed repetition of songs is going to act as a deterrent for listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Agree. Music is atrocious on 98. Dermot and Dave take the piss constantly about the trash they have to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

Not defending the music on 98FM but let's for forget it is an HOT AC station not a CHR station. They don't need to break the new music as soon as a CHR station would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Not defending the music on 98FM but let's for forget it is an HOT AC station not a CHR station. They don't need to break the new music as soon as a CHR station would.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

smurfs5 wrote: »
    It's pretty pathetic, isn't it? The survey is just a sample of the music they play but even the music that 98FM consider "new" is about a month or two old in terms of general airplay on commercial stations.

Completely agree. The lack of new music is evident every time they have to play Of Monsters And Men, Bruno Mars, Robbie Williams and Pink every day.

When I drive back to Waterford on a Friday night, I switch over to Beat 102, and the difference in new music is miles apart.

It's annoying as well when Irish bands come on the Foley show for a chat, and the only time we hear their song is before their talk and they may do a acoustic song with it - but that's it. You'll never hear their songs again on the station unless they get huge.

Not attacking Foley, I'm just attacking those who pick the songs on 98FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Synode wrote: »
    What?

HOT AC = Hot Adult Contemporary ... meaning fairly up to date music for a more adult audience.

CHR = Contemporary Hits Radio ... meaning even more up to date (current chart) music for a slightly younger audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

iseegirls wrote: »
    Completely agree. The lack of new music is evident every time they have to play Of Monsters And Men, Bruno Mars, Robbie Williams and Pink every day.

When I drive back to Waterford on a Friday night, I switch over to Beat 102, and the difference in new music is miles apart.

It's annoying as well when Irish bands come on the Foley show for a chat, and the only time we hear their song is before their talk and they may do a acoustic song with it - but that's it. You'll never hear their songs again on the station unless they get huge.

Not attacking Foley, I'm just attacking those who pick the songs on 98FM.

This is the whole point of commercial hot hits radio especially when you have a station like 98fm trying to compete with fm 104. Radio listenership is measured in 15 minute blocks. So the idea is that with any given 15 segment a listener has a very good chance of hearing one of the big hits around at that point in time. If they hear one of these hits then the chance of them tuning in again increases. In order to be able to do this a station has to reduce its playlist and increase its rotation of the biggest hits of the day.

A by product of a small playlist is one of two things, reinforcement through repetition or frustration for the same reason, if the former outweighs the latter then you increase listenership. Broad playlists are rare, novel, refreshing but not productive from a commercial radio point of view because the listener doesnt know in advance what he / she can expect to hear. Whereas if you turn on fm104, you're guaranteed to hear a couple of the biggest hits of the day within a 15 minute slot, so it delivers on listeners' music expectations very quickly.

If you look at radio playlists in ireland Pink, Bruno mars, of Monsters and men and robbie williams have huge numbers in terms of radio plays. Bruno mars alone had the top selling single in the world in the last 12 months, Of monsters and men's Little talks has been an enormous hit the world over , Pink has a new album out and is playing here tomorrow and Robbie williams played here several months ago, is playing here again in the summer and also has a new album out, so these artists are being played by 98fm for very good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

heybaby wrote: »
    This is the whole point of commercial hot hits radio especially when you have a station like 98fm trying to compete with fm 104. Radio listenership is measured in 15 minute blocks. So the idea is that with any given 15 segment a listener has a very good chance of hearing one of the big hits around at that point in time. If they hear one of these hits then the chance of them tuning in again increases. In order to be able to do this a station has to reduce its playlist and increase its rotation of the biggest hits of the day.

A by product of a small playlist is one of two things, reinforcement through repetition or frustration for the same reason, if the former outweighs the latter then you increase listenership. Broad playlists are rare, novel, refreshing but not productive from a commercial radio point of view because the listener doesnt know in advance what he / she can expect to hear. Whereas if you turn on fm104, you're guaranteed to hear a couple of the biggest hits of the day within a 15 minute slot, so it delivers on listeners' music expectations very quickly.

If you look at radio playlists in ireland Pink, Bruno mars, of Monsters and men and robbie williams have huge numbers in terms of radio plays. Bruno mars alone had the top selling single in the world in the last 12 months, Of monsters and men's Little talks has been an enormous hit the world over , Pink has a new album out and is playing here tomorrow and Robbie williams played here several months ago, is playing here again in the summer and also has a new album out, so these artists are being played by 98fm for very good reason.

Great post:

What these kind of stations don't realise is we live in an age where people
    carry around 2000 songs on their phone. People have a much higher capacity for new music/more music than radio station's give them credit for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

While I don't want to distract too much from the current discussion in the thread (interesting to read) I'd like to say that I thought today's show was excellent. I was laughing all the way into work.

The first link in the show (6:35-ish) is rapidly turning into what used to be the podcast only bits. :pac:

This morning's where he was just cycling through pre-recorded links and Black Eyed Peas songs was great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Always my favourite link too wnolan!

Just listening to this morning's podcast (I don't work Fridays so never be up to hear the show). Sad that it's Adrian's last show, hope they bring someone as good in to replace him!! Haven't heard any other sportsreaders on 98 other than Johnnnnnnnny Lyonnnnnnnnnnnns and Ritchie McCormack (formerly of Phantom) and it would be hardly either of them taking over mornings I imagine...

Love JP's cabin crew voice!!

I must say, the few weeks off seem to have done Ray a power of good. He no longer sounds half asleep in the earlier bits of the shows, voice a lot better (was a bit dodgy in the early months).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Couldn't agree more..

.. they've the best they've been since they got back.

Particularly loved their rundown of the "Johnny Lyons situation" during the 4pm news earlier this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Chris 80

I always judge for some reason how a show is going thru boards. (well done everyone). But the fact that no-one is really talking about Ray Foley or KC can't be a good sign. Maybe it wasn't a great move for either of them. I think both shows have their merit, but they're hardly making a huge impression in either slot. Roll on the JNLR's....cuz I think they should show something at this point????

Chris 80 wrote: »
    I always judge for some reason how a show is going thru boards. (well done everyone). But the fact that no-one is really talking about Ray Foley or KC can't be a good sign. Maybe it wasn't a great move for either of them. I think both shows have their merit, but they're hardly making a huge impression in either slot. Roll on the JNLR's....cuz I think they should show something at this point????

You could very well be right. But then the thread was fairly quiet even when he was on Today FM.

And the OTB thread was always very quiet, but was the most listened to show in that slot. So it's not always a good gauge.

Chris 80 wrote: »
    It wasnt exactly active before hand either. Mostly these threads are only active when something is wrong. See Ray D'Arcy for example. People are more likely to be negative than positive so I'd say the less activity may mean better results as people dont have anything to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Basq wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more..

.. they've the best they've been since they got back.

Particularly loved their rundown of the "Johnny Lyons situation" during the 4pm news earlier this week.

I text in and asked them what was the story haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think KC and the gang have done a great job in their slot, personally. I like how they've kept the Foley lineage going with Adelle, Nordy and occasionally Ann popping in, but also added their own twist. It's a show that's at its finest for the bigger 'events', so to speak, like the Seance and the song contest they ran a few weeks back. Whereas Foley and JP are at their best in the studio just having the craic (I don't particularly enjoy their OBs and specials).

The fact that there aren't many comparisons is fine, KC is a completely different beast to Foley so it's not a natural comparison aside from the time slot. But it takes a lot longer to get used to a new radio personality than it does, say, with TV shows. Finding whether or not a show is for you is a lot like finding a new friend. They have to grow on you over time and you have to have a 'moment' or two where they really sell you. I think they'll get there.

As for the Foley move, I just hope they get what they deserve in the JNLRs. On one hand, the transition has been near-seamless. We all know that this is, in theory, a trial run for Ray to eventually go back to Today FM and take the breakfast show there once Ian Dempsey calls it a day (he pretty much confirmed as much with his final song on the old show). They've shown they can adapt to the format and do well with it, they just need the ratings to bare that out.

On the other, I dunno, just listening to it the other day I remember when it all used to seem so...exciting. Like when there was a controversy and Ray would go ape****, or when they were going COMPLETELY OTT for the Meteors and would win it, and you'd be dying to listen come Monday just to hear what he was going to say.

They haven't lost their edge, I just think they've either grown up and settled down a bit, or need something to give them a bit of bite back. I guess the latter happens when you get more successful: you're not as cynical or bitter with the world anymore so have to reach for it if it's what brought you to the dance, and why would you do so if you're genuinely happy with the way things are? Maybe I'm completely wrong there, but I just think they need a project or something to get worked up for to get back to those heights (the Nandos thing, for example, was a step in the right direction). To not be afraid to piss people off and give the finger to their bosses again. People talk about and get behind that stuff, even a younger audience at breakfast (I say this as a kid who grew up listening to the Strawberries in their prime), and they can do it better than anyone else in Ireland when they do it well.

Advertisement