Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I love the Foley show but can people really see them being able to take it back to Today FM to replace Dempsey?

Foley is quite polarising - People who like him, love him but people who don't, hate him. So if he did come back, he might struggle to maintain the listenership figures that Dempsey has built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

To be fair, Dempsey is equally as polarising.

IMO, he always seems so false and he's zero chemistry with callers and guests.

But I'm just one person... obviously he's loved by many.

I don't think he's as polarising as Foley though.

Have never like Dempsey either. But his ratings are excellent. Hopefully it's an ageing audience who will probably switch to Morning Ireland when Dempsey goes, leaving room for the man for the younger generation - Foley :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭trickymicky

to be honest i still cant understand who or why had the brainwave to send him to 98fm. Today fm pretty much owned to airwaves from 6.45 to 2.30. Now dont get me wrong i like KC and think he is doing a decent job, but lunch time radio just isnt the same. If i could only hear a game of "ah ya ok" or "the gauntlet" after one, i would be over the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

to be honest i still cant understand who or why had the brainwave to send him to 98fm. Today fm pretty much owned to airwaves from 6.45 to 2.30. Now dont get me wrong i like KC and think he is doing a decent job, but lunch time radio just isnt the same. If i could only hear a game of "ah ya ok" or "the gauntlet" after one, i would be over the moon.

At the start I wasn't a fan of of the whole change but I really like KC in place of Foley. The 98fm move for Foley is starting to look like a disaster. I reckon their listenership is shockingly poor. No fault of their own though, just the station they are with.

In the ideal world I'd have the following schedule on Today FM

7am - 10am --- Ian Dempsey
    10am - 1pm --- Ray Foley
    1pm - 3pm --- KC
    3pm - 4:30pm --- T-Bone Fenton
    4:30pm - 7pm --- Matt 'The Cat' Cooper
    7pm - 10pm --- Off the Ball

• Advertisement

Their listener ship on 98 has to be up on what was there before. And I'd say they're doing as well as was expected with it effectively being a local radio station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Chris 80

Synode wrote: »
    Their listener ship on 98 has to be up on what was there before. And I'd say they're doing as well as was expected with it effectively being a local radio station
    #
    Don't agree. The JNLR's next Thursday will tell all....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭elmoslattery

Ee4oiIt.jpg

New bus ad.
    Sorry about the crap photo.

587JipX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Velocity_Girl

Foley off sick again?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Dunno about ye, but all this stop-starting for the show has kind of killed off any dedication I had to it. My listening to the show was all over the place as it is, but when he's off or sick as much as he has been it's just easier to leave on whatever station is on the dial first. Not a huge fan of Barry Dunne. Would be grand if JP did the show on his own if Ray is sick.

Saying all that, hope it's nothing serious that's keeping him off the show.

• Advertisement

New bus ad.

Seen that yesterday.

All the missed shows are annoying alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Dunno about ye, but all this stop-starting for the show has kind of killed off any dedication I had to it. My listening to the show was all over the place as it is, but when he's off or sick as much as he has been it's just easier to leave on whatever station is on the dial first. Not a huge fan of Barry Dunne. Would be grand if JP did the show on his own if Ray is sick.

Saying all that, hope it's nothing serious that's keeping him off the show.

Totally agree with this point, there have been far too many days where Foley and co have been missing through either holidays or illness. Now while everybody is entitled to holidays you have to ask the question, would it not make sense to refrain from taking holidays in the first few months so as to give the show a bit of momentum. I also agree that jP should be more than capable of hosting the show in Ray's absence using Adele as a sidekick , failure to do so and resorting to parachuting Barry dunne in again takes momentum away from breakfast and disrupts Barry's Show as well. They have also used brian McColl on breakfast on occasion in recent months, again this just totally confuses the listener.

It does take well over a year for a new breakfast format to bed in, however all the chopping and changing really takes away from the good work Foley and co are doing in trying to establish a brand. They have a real opportunity to take listeners from the very poor strawberry alarmclock they shouldnt mess it up through absenteeism.

heybaby wrote: »
    jP should be more than capable of hosting the show in Ray's absence using Adele as a sidekick
    Adele works at Today FM.

I didn't hear the show today, I listen to the podcast. I hope all is well with them. Was it just Barry dunne on his own? I think if ray is sick, JP should host with someone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I'd love to be able to fast forward through the songs for a banter-filled show

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'd love to be able to fast forward through the songs for a banter-filled show
    Ummm.. podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

A real shame that they weren't on today. They've really been doing some great stuff since coming back from holidays.

Have to agree with others that it's really killing any momentum with these frequent absences.

But I suppose if you're sick you're sick. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Presumably both of them weren't sick so why couldn't one of them have done the show with Deeno as sidekick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Presumably both of them weren't sick so why couldn't one of them have done the show with Deeno as sidekick?

Deeno is in a completely different building. It would be hard to do a double-act then.

I agree though that JP should take the reins when Ray is sick. The Strawberry Alarmclock always has at least JimJim or Nobby presenting, when either one is out sick or on holidays - this keeps the momentum going with the listener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

iseegirls wrote: »
    Deeno is in a completely different building. It would be hard to do a double-act then.

I agree though that JP should take the reins when Ray is sick. The Strawberry Alarmclock always has at least JimJim or Nobby presenting, when either one is out sick or on holidays - this keeps the momentum going with the listener.

Surely she could read the news from the studio like Adrian used to do when one of Ray or JP are sick?

iseegirls wrote: »

Same with Dermot & Dave. Dermot can miss a few shows with Republic of Telly stuff and Dave will always do the show on his own or have Siobhán O'Connor sit in for a bit with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

They need to move at least Deeno from the Dublin news centre for the breakfast show. She works really well with the lads, the news for the rest of the day could then be done from the centre. I don't know why then even thought that was a good idea in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Surely she could read the news from the studio like Adrian used to do when one of Ray or JP are sick?
    I suppose that probably wouldn't really be feasible unless Ray or JP knew they'd not be in from the day before. I somehow assume that Deeno is in work a bit earlier than Ray, no offence to him :P So she'd probably be already set up before she knew one of them wasn't in.

One thing that you have to consider though too is that seeing that Ray has a kid and both he and his partner work, if it was a case that the child was sick he might have to stay home and mind him - that could be another reason why he's been off a good bit. I agree with everyone wondering why JP doesn't do it by himself though - didn't he have his own show on Today FM? (albeit a prerecord). Surely the producer could work the buttons etc if he's not comfortable with that side of it.

JNLRs are out on Thursday I believe - what do you all think that the ratings will be like? I'd expect that they'll have gone up a bit since last time, but nothing too big. Maybe an extra 5-8k or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Chris 80

Seren_ wrote: »
    I suppose that probably wouldn't really be feasible unless Ray or JP knew they'd not be in from the day before. I somehow assume that Deeno is in work a bit earlier than Ray, no offence to him :P So she'd probably be already set up before she knew one of them wasn't in.

One thing that you have to consider though too is that seeing that Ray has a kid and both he and his partner work, if it was a case that the child was sick he might have to stay home and mind him - that could be another reason why he's been off a good bit. I agree with everyone wondering why JP doesn't do it by himself though - didn't he have his own show on Today FM? (albeit a prerecord). Surely the producer could work the buttons etc if he's not comfortable with that side of it.

JNLRs are out on Thursday I believe - what do you all think that the ratings will be like? I'd expect that they'll have gone up a bit since last time, but nothing too big. Maybe an extra 5-8k or so.

fOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!! If you want yer show to work??? Turn up,

Big advertisement campaign on at the moment for the show. I've seen the bus someone posted the other day a couple of times and also a big wall advert down around Pearse Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

No Foley again this morning - apparently he's in hospital. I wouldn't bank on him being in for the rest of the week so. Hope he's ok! :(

EDIT: Ah, it's kidney stones

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Poor Foley has the stones :(

Ouch :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Poor Foley has the stones :(

F**k. That's like my worst nightmare.

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Big advertisement campaign on at the moment for the show. I've seen the bus someone posted the other day a couple of times and also a big wall advert down around Pearse Street.

Yeh, bus ads are everywhere

Advertisement