Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

TheTechGuy wrote: »

FYP. :)

Ouchies...

Still, this'll probably make an entertaining segment on the show when he's back. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 struper1

Yeh, bus ads are everywhere

they really are! can't get away from them... ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Hope Foley is on the mend!

So is JP not allowed do the show without him?
    No substitution allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Chris 80

I think he looks pretty obnoxious on the posters. And not in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

youngblood wrote: »
    Hope Foley is on the mend!

So is JP not allowed do the show without him?
    No substitution allowed?

Obviously not. this whole thing is crazy and the sooner 98FM's new PD moves in the better. The new foley breakfast show's brand is being tainted by repeated gaps, be it due to holidays or sickness and its not even 6 months old. At the very least if Foley is absent then JP should be hosting the show. Barry dunne should not be moved off the mid morning show to cover breakfast , this is basic radio programming. While i believe 98fm will show an increase tomorrow and will within a few months begin to take listeners from 104 i feel they are making their task more difficult with all the chopping and changing on breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I really don't see why JP can't sit in and played second to Barry Dunne or Brian McColl, though. Like it's madness: one is sick and the other gets the day off? (presumably paid too...I need to get me a job like that. :pac:)

Just come in, run any promos/interviews etc as planned, then add in a few minutes of news/gossip-related banter to fill up the time and keep some sort of consistency going. If they even had some kind of a 'B-Team' on standby to fill-in for breakfast it'd make sense to have him off, but surely when it's a case of Ray going sick last minute he'd originally be preparing for a full week's work anyway so what harm? It seems to be a 98 thing, really don't get it.

leggo wrote: »
    I really don't see why JP can't sit in and played second to Barry Dunne or Brian McColl, though. Like it's madness: one is sick and the other gets the day off? (presumably paid too...I need to get me a job like that. :pac:)

Just come in, run any promos/interviews etc as planned, then add in a few minutes of news/gossip-related banter to fill up the time and keep some sort of consistency going. If they even had some kind of a 'B-Team' on standby to fill-in for breakfast it'd make sense to have him off, but surely when it's a case of Ray going sick last minute he'd originally be preparing for a full week's work anyway so what harm? It seems to be a 98 thing, really don't get it.

Yeah im listening now, and the strap line is : This is the ray foley show im barry dunne ... and then he plays snippets of the best bits of the foley show.. its silly !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭trickymicky

Didnt jp continue on if ray was sick on today fm?? so what the fcuk is so special about 98fm that he cant do the same here.

Didnt jp continue on if ray was sick on today fm?? so what the fcuk is so special about 98fm that he cant do the same here.

Not on every occassion as far as i recall but not far off. I would say JP is in work alright doing prep on future shows, its very unlikely just because ray is sick and JP is off air that jp is enjoying time off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭elmoslattery

heybaby wrote: »
    Not on every occassion as far as i recall but not far off. I would say JP is in work alright doing prep on future shows, its very unlikely just because ray is sick and JP is off air that jp is enjoying time off.

I don't think he is comfortable hosting by himself. The difference on todayfm was that he had Ann and Adele to cohost.
    I think if ray is sick, JP should host with Dunne or McColl. With the quizzes, sponsored bits, music, ads etc - they only have a small amount of time to fill. I'm sure he could do it without Ray.

• Advertisement

Yeah im listening now, and the strap line is : This is the ray foley show im barry dunne ... and then he plays snippets of the best bits of the foley show.. its silly !!!

He seemed confident ray would be back on tomorrow. He said if the stones weren't out by then he would take them out himself.

I don't think he is comfortable hosting by himself. The difference on todayfm was that he had Ann and Adele to cohost.
    I think if ray is sick, JP should host with Dunne or McColl. With the quizzes, sponsored bits, music, ads etc - they only have a small amount of time to fill. I'm sure he could do it without Ray.

Well first of all he has enough experience on air to be able to host a show alone, didnt he have a weekend slot on today fm alone ? Anyway aside from that I agree with you point about getting him to host brekkie with someone like Brian MC Coll, it gives the show a degree of continuity. The problem with using Barry dunne on breakfast is that he isnt comfortable doing it , you can hear it in his voice, also taking barry away from his mid morning show means you are making changes to both breakfast and mid morning which constitute 8 hours of programming which is crazy.. For continuity you need to minimize any personnel changes.. stick MColl in for foley, have him do the banter with JP on brekkie followed by Barry doing his gig.. less fuss, less disruption.

Well first of all he has enough experience on air to be able to host a show alone, didnt he have a weekend slot on today fm alone ? Anyway aside from that I agree with you point about getting him to host brekkie with someone like Brian MC Coll, it gives the show a degree of continuity. The problem with using Barry dunne on breakfast is that he isnt comfortable doing it , you can hear it in his voice, also taking barry away from his mid morning show means you are making changes to both breakfast and mid morning which constitute 8 hours of programming which is crazy.. For continuity you need to minimize any personnel changes.. stick MColl in for foley, have him do the banter with JP on brekkie followed by Barry doing his gig.. less fuss, less disruption.

JPs weekend show was per recorded, and it was a music show, so he was only doing short links announcing songs.

I actually think you're right about Barry dunne not hosting breakfast.he does need someone to host with him though, there needs to be a back and fourth for it to feel comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Why can't Claire Solan move back into that slot of breakfast TV when Ray is away. I'm sure she would know how to work the set (aka press the buttons), and JP can then work off her for a bit of banter)

Like you wouldn't see Ray D'Arcy being put into the Dempsey morning show if Dempsey was out sick. It just disrupts the whole schedule of a radio station.

Maybe they'll have Ryan Seacrest in as Barry's backup :P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Super Sprinter

Listened to a few of the podcasts last weekend and it just highlighted how much they are missed off the national airwaves, there is very little else on at that time down in this part of the country.

The biggest loss in the Dublin market has been that of 98FM who went from 109,000 listeners this time last year to 97,000 in this book, capping off a fairly turbulent year for the station.
    http://radionation.ie/2013/04/jnlr-april-2013-results-roundup/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^

Yikes.. to be fair, they're only there 6 months so can hardly blame squarely on their shoulders.

They'll be the first to comment on it when Ray's back I'd say.

Basq wrote: »
    ^

Yikes.. to be fair, they're only there 6 months so can hardly blame squarely on their shoulders.

They'll be the first to comment on it when Ray's back I'd say.

yes, These figures are for the period 12 months up to March 2013. When did Foley start? It's not an accurate representation of Foley's hosting period, but it doesn't look good.

98FM lost 12,000 listeners, 11% of their audience. They went from 8.7% to 6.4% Dublin market share.
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/nlr-2013-1-national-stations

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Wonder is that why there was a new advertising campaign for the show?

Sully wrote: »
    Wonder is that why there was a new advertising campaign for the show?

The figures just came out today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Chris 80

They've lost 13K in the last quarter...Jan to March. Apparently they started at 60K and are down to 37K. Ive heard hes ill at the mo. But all this time change starting time and them being off all the time wouldn't have helped. I sound like an ould lad, but what ever happened to getting an opportunity and going with it? sigh...where's me slipppers????

Chris 80 wrote: »
    They've lost 13K in the last quarter...Jan to March. Apparently they started at 60K and are down to 37K. Ive heard hes ill at the mo. But all this time change starting time and them being off all the time wouldn't have helped. I sound like an ould lad, but what ever happened to getting an opportunity and going with it? sigh...where's me slipppers????
    Where did you get those numbers from?

They were saying everyone should write 98FM on 5 euro notes for free advertising.

JP: someone's not going to take a fiver because 98Fm is written on it? /s
    Ray: things have really gone downhill for 98

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Looking at that graph of the times that the Dublin stations have, the tail off 98FM has after 7 is terrible. But that's what they get for having 'bits' of the Ryan Seacrest show on - it's a terrible idea - and should be scrapped.

Hopefully Foley's audience will increase once people become more aware of the switch to morning radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The return of the podcast only bit today.... discussing the JNLR's.

EDIT:

"I've been on a drip.."
    "What was in the drip? Bolognese?"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Chris 80 wrote: »

Playing the same fecking songs day after day aint helping things. I know Foley has a crap taste in music but even his is better that the rubbish he is forced to play on that station.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

buster180 wrote: »
    Playing the same fecking songs day after day aint helping things. I know Foley has a crap taste in music but even his is better that the rubbish he is forced to play on that station.

You mean you don't like Pink - Try? Frankly I'm shocked. All our tests show it's the blandest song on earth! It should be a ratings winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

He really should have more control over the music he plays.

98's excuse would be that they have to play the latest hits blah, blah, blah.

But surely they realise that people will be tuning in to hear the show and if they are going to become regular listeners, they don't want to hear the same 15 tracks on constant repeat.

Basq wrote: »
    The return of the podcast only bit today.... discussing the JNLR's.

EDIT:

"I've been on a drip.."
    "What was in the drip? Bolognese?"

:D

JP: 'Forget the foreplay, our mugs are F**ckabe''

(The strawberry alarm clock give away "cuddle mugs")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Wow, The Saturdays on the show this morning. That was a big win for Foley. Were they on any other show?

Advertisement