Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dustinsdinner

That song was terribly bad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 98FM Dublin

That_Guy wrote: »
    What's going on with iTunes? Supposedly the podcast isn't available in the Irish store and I've now been subscribed to something called "The Block"

Eh?

Hi.

We're aware of this issue and our Tech Team are working on a resolution at the moment.

Will update when it's fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Where are the lads this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I think there is definitely something up here with the lads being off again. Its fair enough taking holidays or being off sick but they seem to be off without warning more than other radio presenters. Could be completely wrong but I have a bad feeling this show is not going to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I think there is definitely something up here with the lads being off again. Its fair enough taking holidays or being off sick but they seem to be off without warning more than other radio presenters. Could be completely wrong but I have a bad feeling this show is not going to last.

It's the August Bank Holiday, I wouldn't worry too much. It's the type of weekend where people book the Friday off well in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

leggo wrote: »
    It's the August Bank Holiday, I wouldn't worry too much. It's the type of weekend where people book the Friday off well in advance.

I wouldn't be particularly "worried" about it, just really commenting on the fact that on a good number of occasions this year the lads have been off unannounced whereas most other presenters let their listeners know they will be off. To be honest I enjoy the show but it wouldn't ruin my day if it was cancelled.

When you compare the show to the likes of Dempsey, who is rarely off, the lads really need to pull the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

They left Today FM almost a year ago :eek:

I didnt realise it had been so long. I thought it was only earlier this year which throws away my idea of using up a years worth of holidays in a shorter space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I wouldn't be particularly "worried" about it, just really commenting on the fact that on a good number of occasions this year the lads have been off unannounced whereas most other presenters let their listeners know they will be off. To be honest I enjoy the show but it wouldn't ruin my day if it was cancelled.

Oh, I thought you meant in terms of if they'd been let go or if they were off for more sinister reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The sound quality on the clips this morning was dreadful. Very tinny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

They mentioned yesterday about going to the blur concert so I reckon they had it booked off. Seems like the KC show were at it to but they're on air!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

timbertime wrote: »
    They mentioned yesterday about going to the blur concert so I reckon they had it booked off. Seems like the KC show were at it to but they're on air!

They get an extra six hours in bed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I don't recall them being absent as frequently when on TodayFM.

Their cover seems to be fairly random, from bumping up Barry Dunne from his slot to Claire Solan to Brian McCaul (he who thinks he fills in for 'The Foleys'!).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's getting worrying at this stage to be honest.

I know they're perfectly entitled to holidays, and working the shift that they do has got to be tiring, but really they've been off far too frequently since they started. Now, a few times were beyond their control because Ray was sick (kidney stones saga and the Noro-virus, possibly others) and fine they took holidays at Christmas too.

But really these random days here and there are beginning to take the piss. They're a new show and really they should be trying to be on air as often as possible in these early months to try and bed in. If listeners are tuning in and not knowing from one day to the next who they're going to hear they're not going to get attached to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

Its very dangerous taking so much time on a new show. When stations spend '00000s on marketing they should insure that the show they just spent on is actually on air for months after and during the marketing. New listeners coming into a covered show is not good.

Does anyone have a streaming link for 98FM? I'm trying to add it to a program I have and the http://media.98fm.com/live_stream/ link doesn't seem to work.

Were the lads back today btw?

Yes they were back. That link is working fine here

Synode wrote: »
    Yes they were back. That link is working fine here

Sorry, should've clarified. The link works in a browser, but it isn't recognised by the program I'm using. I think I need a direct link something like [noparse]"http://www.98fm.com/livestream.mp3"[/noparse].

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Sorry, should've clarified. The link works in a browser, but it isn't recognised by the program I'm using. I think I need a direct link something like [noparse]"http://www.98fm.com/livestream.mp3"[/noparse].

Use Tunein radio app. Great for smartphone, not sure what its like for pc. Amazing app though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

So Foley was told to 'tone down the sarcasm' by the PD Michael. Where are they getting these clowns from for PD's? Tone it down? He should be ramping it up!! He's at his best when he's sarky ffs. Do they think the audience are morons or what. :mad:

Was in stitches there at 7 Days, the Sharknado bit was hilarious. :D Glad Deeno is back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Schwartz

Fool Foley had ruined his career by going to 98fm

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The podcast mess is starting to ****ing annoy me.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The podcast mess is starting to ****ing annoy me.

I now have 3 feeds in iTunes dedicated to Foley... I have the old Today FM one, The Block with Peter Curtin and then the new one. :\

Re: the sarcasm, I think the PD might have a point to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I love when Foley blatantly mocks 98FM and his bosses, but I think he's gone overboard at times (especially around the time of the listener figures being released) and it can come across as if he doesn't care (eg: the "Shur no one's listening anyway!" remarks).

Now of course regular listeners know he's just taking the piss, but when they're trying to get new listeners in you can't really blame them for trying to stop him putting out a defeatist message.

They also say that "the show won't last" a lot. As you said, it can come across as defeatist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I think though, that the sarcasm was in relation to how poor the prize was for 7 Days (M People tickets). They did acknowledge yesterday that M People had cracking songs, but that most people weren't killing each other to get tickets for the gig in this day and age. M People hardly fits 98's demographic I would have thought.

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I think though, that the sarcasm was in relation to how poor the prize was for 7 Days (M People tickets). They did acknowledge yesterday that M People had cracking songs, but that most people weren't killing each other to get tickets for the gig in this day and age. M People hardly fits 98's demographic I would have thought.

Ah I see, that's different. I can see the logic behind telling him to tone that down (i.e. Don't piss off promoters) but I'd hate to hear stuff like that go tbh. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

yesterday's 7 days was hilarious too.. hey caller you didn't win the tickets but ya got a smug mug.... prob better off anyway and excuse my ignorance but M People?

Today's 7 days for me summed up why those four people are brilliant at what they do and why all four should at the very least be in the same building.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Today's 7 days for me summed up why those four people are brilliant at what they do and why all four should at the very least be in the same building.

Deeno getting all pissed off and Ray being like "IT'S JUST A BIT OF FUN!" was one of the funniest exchanges I've heard in a good while. :pac:

Slightly OT but I listened to Dermot and Dave yesterday for a few hours. They really are as good as people have been saying. They did their "Jingly Balls" thing and I was in stitches. Will definitely be listening more when I get a more stable internet connection back.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Deeno getting all pissed off and Ray being like "IT'S JUST A BIT OF FUN!" was one of the funniest exchanges I've heard in a good while. :pac:

Ya spot on Nolan. It just showed how much aideen means to the show. A token bird as she describes herself as is understating her importanceMO.

"Shark" and " tornado" lads.

Advertisement