Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Grúite"

• 15-02-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

I heard Sean Bán saying something in reference to a footballer that sounded really like 'Grúite'. He just said 'tá sé grúite' and I can't find the meaning of it.. I've looked up both 'gnúigh/gnúite' and grúigh/grúite'.

The closest I got was 'crúite', but it was definitely a 'Gr' sound..
    Would cr at start of a word ever be pronounced with a gr sound in Conamara or does this word mean something else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

You heard right, pog it. It stems from "gnóthaigh" , to win or achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Thanks so much! Brón orm ach ní raibh an seans agam breathnú air seo níos luaithe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I heard a word used today on Tg4, thought it was like grúite, but in the context I think he meant 'fired up'?

Or maybe I'm mixing up words here!

Advertisement