Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparitive / Main text

Options
  • 15-02-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

So my problem is that I am completely screwed for King Lear and my Pre's are next week.. :confused:

The teacher I had last year was planning on teaching Lear this year, but I got swapped to another English class.. and they did Lear last year so I have nothing done for it :eek:

I was wondering if I should do Lear as a comparitive and Dancing at Lughnasa as my main? Or try to somehow learn Lear along with 7 other subjects? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

It might be easier to stick with Lear because as so many students do it as their single text there are a lot of resources available for studying it in relation to the LC course, which is especially relevant if you're doing it on your own. However I haven't studied either of the texts you're talking about so I don't really know. Ask your teacher :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

well that sounds like some balls but id say talk to the english teacher and get grinds if you need them...

but i take it that you want the advice now so you'll know for next week and the exam. tbh i dono what to say really, sorry. though call

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

are you hl or ol. if you're hl you have to defo study king lear as your single text because it is compulsory on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

roxychix wrote: »
    if you're hl you have to defo study king lear as your single text because it is compulsory on the course.

At Higher level a play by Shakespeare must be one of the texts chosen. This can be studied on its own or as an element in a comparative study.

The 2 plays by Shakespeare for 2010 higher level are

1. king lear
    2. the tempest

If I was you I'd do king lear for the comparative and get some summaries off www.sparknotes.com or there's another site called pinkmonkey i think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

roxychix wrote: »
    are you hl or ol. if you're hl you have to defo study king lear as your single text because it is compulsory on the course.

I'm higher level. Yes King Lear is compulsary but I can do it as my main text OR a comparative..
    Moshimoshi wrote: »
    It might be easier to stick with Lear because as so many students do it as their single text there are a lot of resources available for studying it in relation to the LC course, which is especially relevant if you're doing it on your own. However I haven't studied either of the texts you're talking about so I don't really know. Ask your teacher :)

Yeah I've talked to both of the teachers involved and they both said the exact opposite of each other.. As you can guess it was very helpful :p
    well that sounds like some balls but id say talk to the english teacher and get grinds if you need them...

but i take it that you want the advice now so you'll know for next week and the exam. tbh i dono what to say really, sorry. though call

Tis a balls indeed.. Trying to study Lear on my own isn't working.. So I'm pretty much resorting to learning off Sample Essays.. :o It's the only thing I can do to be honest..
    pathway33 wrote: »
    If I was you I'd do king lear for the comparative and get some summaries off www.sparknotes.com or there's another site called pinkmonkey i think

Yeah thats what my old teacher told me to do... But when I asked my new teacher about it she kinda changed my mind..

1. She already gave us lots of comparative notes on our three texts, so if I was to do Lear as a comparative I would have to come up with all new points on my own, and learn D.A.L in more detail..

2. I would be the only one in the class doing Lear as a comparative.. So it would not be the ideal situation for either of us..

:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

You'll find it hard to do it for the mocks but you'll manage it for June - ask your teacher if you can borrow the dvd/video of the play and watch it over a weekend with your text at hand. Read all the online notes or buy one of those study guides. Learn 5 or 6 quoatations relating to Lear and a few each for his daughters (easy enough to learn) and apply those to the main themes. The lecture series (leavingcertlecturedays.ie ) is still on, and the section on King Lear is quite good (a tiring day but worth it). I wouldn't just learn off essays without knowing the play properly first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

RH149 wrote: »
    You'll find it hard to do it for the mocks but you'll manage it for June - ask your teacher if you can borrow the dvd/video of the play and watch it over a weekend with your text at hand. Read all the online notes or buy one of those study guides. Learn 5 or 6 quoatations relating to Lear and a few each for his daughters (easy enough to learn) and apply those to the main themes. The lecture series (leavingcertlecturedays.ie ) is still on, and the section on King Lear is quite good (a tiring day but worth it). I wouldn't just learn off essays without knowing the play properly first.

I actually have a pretty good revision book called 'English Key Notes' so thats helping a bit. :)

I tried watching play but I got lost after about 20 mins and turned it off..
    [It was the 1970's version and the English was like listening to someone speak another language]

My pre is tomorrow.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

see if it's on youtube. I'd say they have lots of versions

Advertisement