Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Limit on Outter Ring Road - Calls for Increase

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'd be very interested to know who has been responding to the emails. I think its important we understand each person who replies views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Sully wrote: »
    I'd be very interested to know who has been responding to the emails. I think its important we understand each person who replies views.

Those interested can PM me. I am not inclined to reveal councillors e-mail identities on a public forum

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bards wrote: »
    Those interested can PM me. I am not inclined to reveal councillors e-mail identities on a public forum

But did you not just post all their e-mail addresses?
    Whats the harm in just stating their name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

As public representatives I’m sure they wouldn’t mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

alinton wrote: »
    Why would the traffic be approaching at 100km/h? If you're still doing 100 as you approach a roundabout you're gonna crash into something.
    Well, yeah, but for some reason this road in particular appears to make people leave their braking until the last second. I've lost count of the number of times I'VE had to be on the brakes turning right at a roundabout as a defensive measure as a car comes towards me on the ORR only to finally stop a couple of yards OVER the white line, usually giving me a withering look for having the temerity to cause them to stop.

In any case I think the Councillor's point is a good one - this road has been designed for a limit of 60 and for future traffic patterns, not the present semi-rural position. Before we know it we might be reminiscing about the days when it was even possible to do 60 on it!

SSE

• Advertisement

some more replies

==============

Hi xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

The 60KMP speed limit was set by 'skilled traffic engineers' as you put it. A recommendation was made by our roads engineers that a 60kmp limit be set. In fact the road was built to this specification. Councillors sought legal advice and were informed that if we were to increase the speed limit the council would be liable if an accident caused by someone driving at the increased speed. In other words the limit cannot be increased without significant and costly remediation of the road. A full cost analysis is being prepared by the council.

The council's Transport Policy Committee commissioned a report into this issue. The report sought the advice of experts and concluded that it would be unwise to increase the limit. As a councillor, whether skilled or unskilled in this area, I have a responsibilty to have regard to expert opinion. I have driven the road myself and I have no difficulty in keeping within the limit. I am not in favour of allowing motorist driving habits to dictate road policy and simply because people choose to drive over the limit is not reason enough to increase speed limits.

The issue of the outer ring road will revert to full council in due course. Councillors will be briefed by city council engineers, by the Director of Services with responsibility for roads and by the City Manager. The Gardai will also offer their opinion. I look forward to renewed discussion at council on this issue and armed with all of the facts I will make a final decision.

Kind Regards,

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

=========================================

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding the issue of the speed limit on the Outer Ring Road. I am not a member of the Transportation Committee that had access to the report from the Road Engineers and the opinion of the Gardai on this subject. Neither am I an expert on the subject of how traffic speeds are set and will await the report by the experts before I make an informed decision on the issue. Once again thank you for your email.

Regards
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

=========================================

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Seem a bit rude in those replies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

alinton wrote: »
    As as regards rbouts being used for overtaking, well, if going straight on at a rbout where the entry, exit and rbout have two lanes it is permissible to enter on the right lane, use the right lane of the rbout and leave in the right lane.
    A.

That may be so, but on the entire ring road - and most other places in Waterford as far as I can see - the right lane is only for turning right, with a couple of exceptions that are clearly marked as being different. One is the Tesco turn-off and the other is the Tramore Road at the Ballindud roundabout.
    Slightly off-topic there were a group of travellers with sulkeys (? is that what they are called) on the ring road today. Two were men, one with a young (8ish) girl beside him, one was a lad of about 13 and one was a very young boy who looked to be barely 10. The 10 year old did not look at all confident about controlling his horse. They were moving at a fair clip. I cannot see that there is a lower age limit for a child being in control of a horsedrawn vehicle, the traffic was moving rather cautiously round him, but it didn't look like a good idea at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

It's a joke! They say that the road is built to 60km/h specifications. I must be Michael Schumacher then, since I've driven in excess of the speed limit many a time and never hit the median or flipped the car into the halting site! As for the bit about housing estates in the future? No entrances to housing estates will be on the ORR and no amount of reckless driving will endanger these estates.

What specification was the Kilkenny ring road built to then?

Typical bull from councillors unwilling to make the extra effort. Please Bards, post their names so that we can remember them next time! Councillors make a career out of policies and opinions and should be accountable. How do we know that those who have replied to you won't make increasing the speed limit an election promise only to renege once again when elected?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Seem a bit rude in those replies there.

Poorly written alright,

• Advertisement

This is the best one yet!!

And these people are meant to represent US - The taxpayer & Voter

Dear xxxxxxxxxxx,
    if we were to allow your rule, there wouldn't be a single major route in this country on its current speed limit. I drove to Sligo this weekend (and back) and was passed on every road, of every calibre by speeding motorists - even those who were turning off the road a hundred yards further on. As I already said I cannot understand why people can not just drive within the speed limit. If you are constantly having to check your speed then you are either a very inexperienced on indeed impatient driver. Once again and for the record: the outer ring is an urban dual carriageway deisgned for a 60kph speed limit with a path along its entire length. I am not surprised that a 22 year old councillor is persuaded that it should be faster. I am not.
    Thanks for you interest in the debate!
    Mary

anyone likle to take up the mantle and reply to some of those councillors

P.S
    This reply was so Childish that I left the name at the bottom for all to see

Signed Mary? As in March Roche?

Must have a look at that petition YFG have for increasing the speed limit, could have sworn I saw her name on it.

This reply was so Childish that I left the name at the bottom for all to see

I think its only fair to post the names for all of them instead of just showing up people that given a childish/poor response, if the others are good responses then surely we should see who gave them?

All in the interest of fairness and all

Cabaal wrote: »
    I think its only fair to post the names for all of them instead of just showing up people that given a childish/poor response, if the others are good responses then surely we should see who gave them?

All in the interest of fairness and all

As I said before I have no problem giving the names to those who PM me

Its actually also worth noting that the ORR was NOT built for 60km/hr. The road was actually built for a 70km/hr speed limit but this is not officially recognized as a legal speed so was put at 60km/hr.

Its actually also worth noting that the ORR was NOT built for 60km/hr. The road was actually built for a 70km/hr speed limit but this is not officially recognized as a legal speed so was put at 60km/hr.

And as we all know design speeds all have a greater tolerance than the actual one. so a design speed of 70 KM/h will easily and safely accomodate traffic doing 80 KM/h

.. all this goes to show is that responsibility for speed limits should be removed from the Local Council

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

And as we all know design speeds all have a greater tolerance than the actual one. so a design speed of 70 KM/h will easily and safely accomodate traffic doing 80 KM/h

.. all this goes to show is that responsibility for speed limits should be removed from the Local Council

...and given their attitude to the questions of the public they promised to serve, so should a number of other responsibilities!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

If they're serious about being worried about legal action, then let's all take action against the various local authorities who preside over stretches of road that have HIGHER speed limits than appropriate.

The N9 between Waterford and Paulstown, for example.

Those mealy-mouthed excuses are just rubbish.

And once again we hear from our so-called representatives, who refuse to represent us.

A.

Mod Note
    Split posts from the topic on the bypass as its a separate road with a different speed limit. Please use this topic to discuss the issue with the speed limit on the Outter Ring Road.

Thanks.

I have a copy of the signature Cllr. Mary Roche gave Waterford Young Fine Gael on September 21st 2008 in the Tesco Petrol Station Car Park. She indicated to the YFG members and also on the survey (attached) that she agreed with the increase for the speed limit. Her signature is the first in the attached file.

Cllr. Roche is publicly calling for the speed limit to remain as it is and contradicting what she previously stated.

• Advertisement

What, a politician two-faced?

How unusual!

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think you're really clutching at straws if you're trying to make something out of a signature obtained back in 2008. Lets also not forget that they represent their constituents rather than themselves so their conduct within the chamber would be based on the feedback they're getting from those they represent rather than their own personal opinion.

AdMMM wrote: »
    I think you're really clutching at straws if you're trying to make something out of a signature obtained back in 2008. Lets also not forget that they represent their constituents rather than themselves so their conduct within the chamber would be based on the feedback they're getting from those they represent rather than their own personal opinion.

...plus, whilst opinions may be honestly and strongly held, this isn't exactly the most pressing issue facing our City at the moment. Frankly I'd rather the councillors spent their time and effort on issues regarding job preservation and creation, antisocial behaviour, urban regeneration, rubbish dumping, etc. rather than a change which would result in a net saving of a couple of minutes travelling the entire 10k or so length of the road.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

AdMMM wrote: »

Fair enough but I think I would be right in saying that most constituents think the 60km/h limit is bonkers. I mean picture heading up the hill at the six cross roads roundabout, there must be at least 1km of dead straight dual carraigeway in front and there claiming its not safe to do 80km/h on that:rolleyes:

I'm surprised the toll bridge company isent putting on any pressure to get the limit raised to 80KM/H. For anybody from South Kilkenny heading out the Tramore or Airport road,or Hospital and not wanting to worry about getting hit with fines and points ,you have to dawdle along the entire length of the ORR.

Basically it negates the benefit for your 1.90 to only to only a couple of minutes time saving when ya can legally and easily boot down the Quay at 50km/h at off peak times. If they were so concerned about safety they would make the ORR more attractive for people to use rather than the pedestrian filled Quays and Dunmore Road etc.
    ...plus, whilst opinions may be honestly and strongly held, this isn't exactly the most pressing issue facing our City at the moment. Frankly I'd rather the councillors spent their time and effort on issues regarding job preservation and creation,
    SSE
    Like pushing the well established TK Maxx out...frankly I'd sleep better at night if speed limits were the only thing the council controlled.

I have a copy of the signature Cllr. Mary Roche gave Waterford Young Fine Gael on September 21st 2008 in the Tesco Petrol Station Car Park. She indicated to the YFG members and also on the survey (attached) that she agreed with the increase for the speed limit. Her signature is the first in the attached file.

Cllr. Roche is publicly calling for the speed limit to remain as it is and contradicting what she previously stated.

Perhaps somebody should drop her a lovely e-mail pointing out her error and including a copy of the form she signed
    ...plus, whilst opinions may be honestly and strongly held, this isn't exactly the most pressing issue facing our City at the moment. Frankly I'd rather the councillors spent their time and effort on issues regarding job preservation and creation, antisocial behaviour, urban regeneration, rubbish dumping, etc. rather than a change which would result in a net saving of a couple of minutes travelling the entire 10k or so length of the road.

SSE

I'd have to agree with alpha2zulu in relation to his comments about TK Maxx, the council haven't exactly showen much will towards keeping jobs in Waterford.

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    I'm surprised the toll bridge company isent putting on any pressure to get the limit raised to 80KM/H. For anybody from South Kilkenny heading out the Tramore or Airport road,or Hospital and not wanting to worry about getting hit with fines and points ,you have to dawdle along the entire length of the ORR.

Basically it negates the benefit for your 1.90 to only to only a couple of minutes time saving when ya can legally and easily boot down the Quay at 50km/h at off peak times. If they were so concerned about safety they would make the ORR more attractive for people to use rather than the pedestrian filled Quays and Dunmore Road etc.

Yeah but factor in peak times and even with the 60km limit the OR and bypass road from Kilkenny saves a good bit of time,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

When the road opened Mary Roche was very vocal on wlrfm about 60km/h being the correct speed for this road and that it shouldn't be any higher. If she's going to go on public record about speed limits she shouldn't leave herself open to criticism about her own personal driving habits.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with alpha2zulu in relation to his comments about TK Maxx, the council haven't exactly showen much will towards keeping jobs in Waterford.

At the risk of derailing this thread into what must be the 378th. one which discusses TK Maxx the City Council's retail strategy is all about preserving a critical mass of retail in the City Centre, supporting both direct and indirect jobs in this sector. Nobody seems to be shedding any tears over the jobs lost/reduced hours in City Centre shops and ancillary businesses due to the diversion of spend to TK Maxx who, let's remember, have had the benefit of trading without the correct planning permission, as per the Board's recent decisions. The ongoing success of Penney's relaunch has IMHO vindicated this strategy, and let's hope TK Maxx take up the now vacant Railway Sq. premises.

SSE

Mod Note:

Lets keep things on topic folks, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

That speed limit is a complete joke, whats the point in having 2 lanes going each way if all cars are restricted crawling along at 60 km/h? The limit should be 100km/h never mind 80km/h. If your not comfortable doing that speed then stick to the slow lane which is what it should be there for.

• Advertisement

No, its not a 'fast lane' and a 'slow lane' - its a driving lane and overtaking lane.

Cars should ALWAYS drive on the left lane of ANY road unless overtaking.

This basic rule is misunderstood by a huge number of motorists. You should ONLY drive in the right lane if overtaking or turning right at the roundabout (unless road markings indicate otherwise).

Having said that, there's not much point in having an overtaking lane if the speed limit is 60km/h; If everyone's driving at 60km/h in the driving lane, how can you overtake?

However, increase the limit to 80 and there will be people doing less than that in the driving lane, so you could legally and safely overtake.

A.

Advertisement