Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Limit on Outter Ring Road - Calls for Increase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The above is correct. Its an overtaking lane, and thats what it's for.

You should move to the right lane if turning right at the next roundabout no sooner than you usually would if it was a single carriageway, approx 100m I'd say.

It drives me mad when people leave one roundabout and immediately take the right-hand lane, just because they're gonna turn right a mile ahead.

This forces traffic in the driving lane to illegally undertake.

It also annoys me when people coming from Waterford and turning right on the roundabout to the M9 travel round it in the LEFT lane! What are they thinking?

Roundabout and lane discipline is so bad.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

alinton wrote: »
    The above is correct. Its an overtaking lane, and thats what it's for.

You should move to the right lane if turning right at the next roundabout no sooner than you usually would if it was a single carriageway, approx 100m I'd say.

It drives me mad when people leave one roundabout and immediately take the right-hand lane, just because they're gonna turn right a mile ahead.

This forces traffic in the driving lane to illegally undertake.
    It also annoys me when people coming from Waterford and turning right on the roundabout to the M9 travel round it in the LEFT lane! What are they thinking?

Roundabout and lane discipline is so bad.

A.

If they are turning right is the undertaking illegal, do the ROTR state you can do it if the car in the overtaking lane is turning right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If a vehicle is slowing in the right lane for an exit then you can "undertake"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Just heard on Deise AM that the Speed Limit on the Outer Ring Road is to be or is in consideration to be increased to 80kmh. Thoughts?

I know 60kmh is probably not right for that road but IMO people do up to 80 on it anyway because they don't feel 60 is right and that seems to be a generally accepted fact and my worry is now that if it's 80 I can see people doing up to 100kmh on it?

If anyone had a figure for accidents on the road could you post them? I'm on the road at least twice a day going from Airport Roundabout to the Carrickphierish Roundabout and I've never seen an accident. It has to be said, if it's not broke, don't fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Only accident I ever saw on it was a horse cause of travellers racing them. Looked like the trap kicked up and took the horse down with it.
    Fcukers :(

And worse could have been cause at the same time from them parking a car in 1 lane and running down the road when it happened

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is a long thread about this somewhere from a few years back.

The ORR from the by-pass to Carriganore (the business park section should be kept at 60) then from the old Cork road to the Airport road should be 80 and 60 after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

mike65 wrote: »
    There is a long thread about this somewhere from a few years back.

The ORR from the by-pass to Carriganore (the business park section should be kept at 60) then from the old Cork road to the Airport road should be 80 and 60 after that.

I would have bumped that thread but thought it was frowned upon? :D

That's not a bad idea to be fair though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭wexhurdler

It's about time it was changed.. Ridiculous limit! Regardless of the frequency of the roundabouts, 80 is more than an appropriate limit. Might make a considerable dent however in the revenue generated from the excessive number of speed traps on the road!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Might now be worthwhile to use the ORR and Bypass when going to Dublin/Limerick from the Dunmore road area

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

All black driver's and at least 60% of Irish driver's should have a man with a red flag walking in front of them not allowing them to drive faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

All black driver's and at least 60% of Irish driver's should have a man with a red flag walking in front of them not allowing them to drive faster.

What specific aspect of race contributes to this?

For the sake of a few minutes, and a potential fine I cant afford, I tend to stick to the limit - although the 50 limit on the old Kilmeaden road is much worse. Also, I've noticed the speed vans tend to camp in the layby just after the Holy Cross (heading toward Cork), and at the entrance to the technology park, I assume to cash in on the staggered changes between Butlerstown Cross and the first roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i came across two traffic cops at the roundabout at 6 cross roads hiding behind a pole with the speed gun pointed in the cork road direction ya would,nt have copped em at all if speeding on that stretch off the orr and i,d say they prob caught a few also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Very few serious accidents on the ORR, but i suppose the extra accidents will be worth getting to the next round about 5 seconds faster.

Look at the skid marks on all the approachs to the roundabouts.

That said it is a very long slow and largely empty road.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

efla wrote: »
    What specific aspect of race contributes to this?

For the sake of a few minutes, and a potential fine I cant afford, I tend to stick to the limit - although the 50 limit on the old Kilmeaden road is much worse. Also, I've noticed the speed vans tend to camp in the layby just after the Holy Cross (heading toward Cork), and at the entrance to the technology park, I assume to cash in on the staggered changes between Butlerstown Cross and the first roundabout.

They used to be some bastards for hiding across from Genzyme too. Thank god the rocks are there now stopping them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I travel this road everyday and I think this is a great idea, about bloody time.

I very rarely see people exceeding the speed limit on that road (I travel on it around 5.45 every evening), I'd say 90% of people stick to the limit.

There are very regularly garda cars up and down that road and I have seen a huge number of people pulled in.

I think the speed limit is ridiculous on that road when there are roads around Waterford that could almost be classed as a residential area (numerous houses on either side of a main road) with speed limits of 100kmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

It's about time they looked at the limit. 60kph is ridiculously slow for that stretch of road when you consider that you can turn off it onto the old Tramore and do 80.

And as Elfa said the old Kilmeaden road is just a spot to shoot fish in a barrel when you could free wheel down it faster than 50kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

About time, now if only we could atomise the tossers who drive in the right hand lanes and don't pull in to let others pass..................

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

About time it should be 100km not 80km..
    The road is as good as the M9 and you can do 120KM on that, 60km is ridiculous and frustrating when your on it...
    The Sunday drivers can still do 60km in the inside lanes if they so which...

Slow drivers add to traffic congestion in the city as cars are arriving at the same time.. only takes one clown doing 30km in the Dunmore road to cause a traffic jam and normally that clown is over 70 years of age and strung out on prozac and is oblivious to the 100 cars behind him/her..

Another pet hate of mine is the clowns who practically stop dead at speed ramps especially on Cannon Street drives me insane...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

I think he reason it was kept low was because there was meant to be a lot of development on that stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Funfair wrote: »
    The road is as good as the M9 and you can do 120KM on that, 60km is ridiculous and frustrating when your on it...
    The Sunday drivers can still do 60km in the inside lanes if they so which...

Slow drivers add to traffic congestion in the city as cars are arriving at the same time.. only takes one clown doing 30km in the Dunmore road to cause a traffic jam and normally that clown is over 70 years of age and strung out on prozac and is oblivious to the 100 cars behind him/her..

Another pet hate of mine is the clowns who practically stop dead at speed ramps especially on Cannon Street drives me insane...

The M9 doesn't have too many flat roundabouts on it though does it?

How do you expect people to actually pull onto the ORR from side roads if you've got traffic barreling down into them at 80 or 100? It's bad enough as it is with the current limit.

If there were grade-separated junctions, then I'd agree with you, but I don't think the road has been designed to take a higher limit along most of its length.

SSE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This comes up a lot and I remember the Young Fine Gael branch in Waterford put a good bit of pressure on this. Was regularly discussed on Billy McCarthy on WLR also. Funny awl times, because it wasn't that long ago that a signature by Mary Roche on their petition was uncovered where she had signed saying she supported the move while she publicly was against it - think the News & Star were the only paper to cover it.

The majority of councilors are against such a move and voted it down when it was put forward, I think by John Cummins. I was of the understanding they were going to try again, but never heard anything. I recall the council saying that the road wasn't built to facilitate a faster speed. Cant recall if the Guards objected or not.

Its all covered in another thread anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Sully wrote: »
    This comes up a lot and I remember the Young Fine Gael branch in Waterford put a good bit of pressure on this. Was regularly discussed on Billy McCarthy on WLR also. Funny awl times, because it wasn't that long ago that a signature by Mary Roche on their petition was uncovered where she had signed saying she supported the move while she publicly was against it - think the News & Star were the only paper to cover it.

The majority of councilors are against such a move and voted it down when it was put forward, I think by John Cummins. I was of the understanding they were going to try again, but never heard anything. I recall the council saying that the road wasn't built to facilitate a faster speed. Cant recall if the Guards objected or not.

Its all covered in another thread anyway

I think the upshot was that the road was designed as an 'inter-urban dual carriageway" and nobody would sign off on an increase as changes would be required.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The 60km limit was just absurd in the first place. The road is one of the best roads in the country, and there is absolutely no justification for that limit. It should be upped to 100km for the long stretches, and 80km for the shorter stretches.. Have appropriate signs coming up to roundabouts to reduce to 50km, etc...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The road is as good as the M9 and you can do 120KM on that

Your kidding me right??
    The M9 is a motorway and doesn't have any roundabouts that directly affect trafic with the exception of at Waterford and then Dublin (not counting slip roads).

The ORR on the otherhand is full of roundabouts,

The M9 has no footpaths on it, cyclists also can't be on it either can horses, because..get this...its a motorway.

The ORR has footpaths and allows cyclists etc

The road in short is nothing like the m9
    :rolleyes:

The ORR is only properly suitable for 80km/hour when you factor in the amount of junctions and the kind of traffic that is allowed onto it,

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Sully wrote: »
    I recall the council saying that the road wasn't built to facilitate a faster speed.

I seem to recall something about the roundabouts not being built to take the higher speed limit.
    They certainly are more severe than the ones on the Kilkenny Ring road which has a 100km/h limit.

dougal wrote: »
    I seem to recall something about the roundabouts not being built to take the higher speed limit.
    They certainly are more severe than the ones on the Kilkenny Ring road which has a 100km/h limit.

nothing to do with the roundabouts. all drivers should be approaching the r/a's at a speed that will allow them to stop before entering in case there is traffic already on it and they have to "Give Way".

The design speed of the ORR is 70 Km/h. I.E the curvature of the road allowing drivers to see that far ahead and stop safely in case of an obstruction.

Some sections (Straight) will have a design limit higher than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dunphy3

wexhurdler wrote: »
    It's about time it was changed.. Ridiculous limit! Regardless of the frequency of the roundabouts, 80 is more than an appropriate limit. Might make a considerable dent however in the revenue generated from the excessive number of speed traps on the road!!:rolleyes:
    the reason for the 60kl limit set by the councill by the way, is at anything over 60 the coperation is by its own rules in not able to grant planing permission to any induresty or bilding projects on the ring roadie,nothing to doe with road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Are the contracts under which the speed cameras operate subject to some kind of state minimum revenue guarantee (I think some of the PPP toll schemes are)?

It annoys the ****e out of me seeing them camp in these spots, as I've seen very few serious accidents along this stretch, aside from a few isolated accidents involving pedestrians (no less significant).

Although some sort of motion for an idiot camera might be worth tabling; in the last month I've seen a driver u-turn (i.e. drive the wrong way around) the ring road roundabout approaching from the B&Q entrance, and twice I've had to swerve back into traffic thanks to similar goons overtaking in the right-hand turn lane beside the holy cross pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Cabaal wrote: »
    Your kidding me right??
    The M9 is a motorway and doesn't have any roundabouts that directly affect trafic with the exception of at Waterford and then Dublin (not counting slip roads).

The ORR on the otherhand is full of roundabouts,

The M9 has no footpaths on it, cyclists also can't be on it either can horses, because..get this...its a motorway.

The ORR has footpaths and allows cyclists etc

The road in short is nothing like the m9
    :rolleyes:

The ORR is only properly suitable for 80km/hour when you factor in the amount of junctions and the kind of traffic that is allowed onto it,

Kidding you NO..

I drove 120KM on the ring road many a time, the Dublin road I do 140km in places so your point my stand up on a piece of paper but in reality the road, myself and my car is well capable of handling 120km..

P.S. I know I was breaking the law, no need to come back with all that.. as it won't make a difference as I tend not to follow stupid speed limits designed to drive motorists insane rather then be a safety issue.

However I do the 50km in built up area's as that is acceptable...

Mainly I don't speed, just do what ever I feel is an acceptable speed in safety terms for the road I'm on at the time.. in some area's I go lower then the speed limit as I feel it would be dangerous not to...

This principle has served me well thus far as I have no penalty points and was never in an accident in over 25 years of driving..

• Advertisement

Kidding you NO..

I drove 120KM on the ring road many a time, the Dublin road I do 140km in places so your point my stand up on a piece of paper but in reality the road, myself and my car is well capable of handling 120km..

P.S. I know I was breaking the law, no need to come back with all that.. as it won't make a difference as I tend not to follow stupid speed limits designed to drive motorists insane rather then be a safety issue.

However I do the 50km in built up area's as that is acceptable...

Mainly I don't speed, just do what ever I feel is an acceptable speed in safety terms for the road I'm on at the time.. in some area's I go lower then the speed limit as I feel it would be dangerous not to...

This principle has served me well thus far as I have no penalty points and was never in an accident in over 25 years of driving..
    120 km/h on a road that has a design speed of 70 is way too fast even for the best driver, as the sight lines just are not there. That is. 50 km/h over the design limit as opposed to going only 20 km/h over the design limit on a motorway

Remember you only have to have one accident at that speed and it will be your last as more than likely it will be fatal.

Every driver always thinks they are better than everyone else and the rules are not for them but everyone else. I bet every boy racer involved in a fatal accident felt the same about their driving ability

Advertisement