Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Limit on Outter Ring Road - Calls for Increase

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Funfair wrote: »
    Kidding you NO..

I drove 120KM on the ring road many a time, the Dublin road I do 140km in places so your point my stand up on a piece of paper but in reality the road, myself and my car is well capable of handling 120km..

I could do 150km driving down the quays, that doesn't make it safe to do so, I could also claim I could do it safely.

Just because you "believe" you can doesn't mean you should, your human and like all humans there's aload of room for error and the greater the speed the greater margin for error.
    P.S. I know I was breaking the law, no need to come back with all that.. as it won't make a difference as I tend not to follow stupid speed limits designed to drive motorists insane rather then be a safety issue.

Thats not why these laws exist,

These laws exist for the safety of others, your not far of something claiming that drink driving laws are just exist to cause rural pubs to close down (and yes I've heard this idiotic argument before).

Rules of the road exist for everyone's safety, how is what your claiming any better the somebody claiming they don't need need to indicate at roundabouts as there's just no need? (bet that likely annoys you eh?)

You don't get to pick and choose the rules of the road that you think are ok as a motorist your job is to obey all of them...remember that rules of the road book you were supposed to read?
    However I do the 50km in built up area's as that is acceptable...

How very big of you, what about in 30km zones...do you also find that "acceptable"?
    Mainly I don't speed, just do what ever I feel is an acceptable speed in safety terms for the road I'm on at the time.. in some area's I go lower then the speed limit as I feel it would be dangerous not to...

Yet despite the ORR not being safe for the speed you've driven at above you've felt the need to endanger others by driving at a dangerous speed
    This principle has served me well thus far as I have no penalty points and was never in an accident in over 25 years of driving..

Lets hope you don't end up in a ditch sometime or kill somebody in the process of your "safe" driving eh?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

I see a duel carrage way I open the trottle I see a school I slow down...

Then again I was lucky to escape the Health and Safety phenomenon of the last 15 years that most under 40's these days are caught up in..

If you were to follow all the stupid rules and regulations you might as well not go out the front door..as you might catch a cold...

If you catch a cold you must inform your supervisior etc etc ..

No end to the crap a guy sitting at a desk can come up with..

I wonder were my stats fit into the road safety guide ?

driving how you should drive using my brain not spending the day watching the speadometre...

And 25 years accident free to prove my point....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Kidding you NO..

I drove 120KM on the ring road many a time, the Dublin road I do 140km in places so your point my stand up on a piece of paper but in reality the road, myself and my car is well capable of handling 120km..

P.S. I know I was breaking the law, no need to come back with all that.. as it won't make a difference as I tend not to follow stupid speed limits designed to drive motorists insane rather then be a safety issue.

However I do the 50km in built up area's as that is acceptable...

Mainly I don't speed, just do what ever I feel is an acceptable speed in safety terms for the road I'm on at the time.. in some area's I go lower then the speed limit as I feel it would be dangerous not to...

This principle has served me well thus far as I have no penalty points and was never in an accident in over 25 years of driving..

This must be a wind-up. It's difficult to believe that anyone who thinks like this can successfully operate a car or computer.

SSE

This must be a wind-up. It's difficult to believe that anyone who thinks like this can successfully operate a car or computer.

SSE

Its difficult to think that people can't use their own initiative on what speed they should be going and not acting like sheep waiting for direction..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Its difficult to think that people can't use their own initiative on what speed they should be going and not acting like sheep waiting for direction..

There's a difference between not using your initiative and breaking the law. I personally don't care what speed you drive at or anyone else for that matter but I think you should realise that "acting like sheep" isn't the same as people who just choose to drive within the limits set out by law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

And 25 years accident free to prove my point....

That does not mean anything, it just means you've been very lucky if you drive the way you state here. Just because your on a road and deem it fit to drive above the the legal speed limit does not make you a good driver, its all in your head bud, I doubt a ould fella like your self with 25 years driving really knows how to "drive" ;)

How many close calls have you had? There has to have been a few (and if you had, of course they would not have been your fault)

I think the increasing of the speed limit on the outer ring road is a good idea, current speed limit is ridiculous

angry_fox wrote: »
    I doubt a ould fella like your self with 25 years driving really knows how to "drive" ;)

It's for the amatures kids like you the laws are in place..

If everyone drove like me the roads would be a lot safer then they are now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

^^^
    Just as long as you have your donor card filled out, I dont care how you drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Interestingly I read a rport a couple of years ago of an experiment hat had been done - I think in Sweden.

In this particular town, for a few weeks, there were no speed limits, no traffic lights, no road signs. The idea was to see what would happen when driversa relied on their own judgement instead of having to worry constantly about what rule they were breaking.

Results were interesting. No-one speeded unreasonably, no-one took the piss and there were fewer accidents than usual.

The study concluded that more accidents are caused by people's judgement being usurped by laws, rules and signs than would otherwise happen.

I'm afraid I can't state my sources, its a while ago, but that was the gist.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

I think it should be unlimited speed EVERYWHERE bar countryside roads(back roads).
    Signs should be put in place for dangerous parts of road's, bad bends, road narrowing etc.
    There is far to many signs to be looking out for nowadays, people need to use some common sense and stop looking at the clock to make sure they are not doing a couple of miles per hour over the limit and stop looking at those damn speed signs.
    Look at the road ahead of you, be aware of what's happening around you and behind you, drive at a reasonable speed that YOU feel comfortable doing and your car can handle and just generally use common sense in bad weather conditions.

Its all fairly simple really once we just stop looking at those damn signs that are only there to take peoples eye's off the road and mind off the driving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's for the amatures kids like you the laws are in place..

If everyone drove like me the roads would be a lot safer then they are now :rolleyes:

Sorry thats the funniest thing I've read all day, nobody could be this deluded in real life which means you are certainly without a doubt trolling

Of course if your really are deluded then I'd seek professional help as you are a danger to yourself and others, sadly one of these days you'll likely take somebody with you when you eventually manage to kill yourself,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Funfair is getting himself across like a dick, but I gotta agree with them about the H&S bullsh*t and Speed Kills Nazis. It gets very tiresome. Speed doesn't kill, bad driving kills.

On topic, I'm a Corkman meself but when I visit Waterford the ring road drives me absolutely demented, I want to find the idiots that applied the one-size-fits-all limit and simply hurt them. I hope sense will finally prevail and it'll be changed to multiple-limit.

That curvy stretch of dual carriageway coming into Waterford by the way? I love that. If I had the money to rent a stretch of dual carriageway to play on, that's be it.

I also wish ye'd send your road builders over to us in Cork, the difference in quality between ours and yours is embarrassing. You can feel the difference the minute you cross the bridge in Youghal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can tell when you cross into South Tipp on the way to Carrick-on-Suir as well (when on the south side of the Suir), the people who moan about roads main in Co Waterford
    don't get around the country much I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

alinton wrote: »
    Interestingly I read a rport a couple of years ago of an experiment hat had been done - I think in Sweden.

In this particular town, for a few weeks, there were no speed limits, no traffic lights, no road signs. The idea was to see what would happen when driversa relied on their own judgement instead of having to worry constantly about what rule they were breaking.

Results were interesting. No-one speeded unreasonably, no-one took the piss and there were fewer accidents than usual.

The study concluded that more accidents are caused by people's judgement being usurped by laws, rules and signs than would otherwise happen.

I'm afraid I can't state my sources, its a while ago, but that was the gist.

A.

There have been a few experiments with the removal of all street signs, stopping restrictions, separation between road and foot traffic etc. in towns - in Holland, Germany, Denmark and Ipswich in the UK. The idea is that people (drivers, cyclists and pedestrians) would automatically become more considerate towards each other if they are trusted to do the right thing and are not told what to do. Initial results always seem to have been very positive, but I don't know what the long-term changes are and whether people slip back following the initial novelty.

Worth a search on the big G if you're interested.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

dahamsta wrote: »
    Funfair is getting himself across like a dick, but I gotta agree with them about the H&S bullsh*t and Speed Kills Nazis.

Godwins law on a thread about the ring road???

rolleyes.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

why are they even bothering thinking about changing the speed limit,
    the way it is at the moment is grand and accident free,
    if its not broke, dont fix it.

One day in Limerick about 6 years ago there was a major disruption of the cities centre traffic light system so they switched it off completely for several hours. I happened to be in the City that day and the traffic never moved so well, the thing was at every junction people were alert and considerate, no horns were beeped, no one ran a junction. Cars stopped for bikes and pedestrians it was almost pleasant!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

mike65 wrote: »
    You can tell when you cross into South Tipp on the way to Carrick-on-Suir as well (when on the south side of the Suir), the people who moan about roads main in Co Waterford
    don't get around the country much I suspect.

I've always said it. As soon as you go past Carrick on the N24, your car is in for a rough ride. Saying that, just did it again this morning and coupled with the high winds, you need the highest level of concentration.

dahamsta wrote: »
    Funfair is getting himself across like a dick, but I gotta agree with them about the H&S bullsh*t and Speed Kills Nazis. It gets very tiresome. Speed doesn't kill, bad driving kills.

On topic, I'm a Corkman meself but when I visit Waterford the ring road drives me absolutely demented, I want to find the idiots that applied the one-size-fits-all limit and simply hurt them. I hope sense will finally prevail and it'll be changed to multiple-limit.

That curvy stretch of dual carriageway coming into Waterford by the way? I love that. If I had the money to rent a stretch of dual carriageway to play on, that's be it.

I also wish ye'd send your road builders over to us in Cork, the difference in quality between ours and yours is embarrassing. You can feel the difference the minute you cross the bridge in Youghal.

Can't see how I'm coming accross like a Dick,

Did I say anywhere I drive on footpaths or fast in town NO so why all the aggression? Must be the fact I have no penalty points that's upsetting people as I drive fast on good roads only when its safe to do so..

The ORR is in my opinion a good road that could easily accommadate speeds in excess of 70KM anyone who thinks otherwise is quite frankly a Dickhead and needs serious medical attention.

Anyway you make some very valid points there..

Down in Cork last Summer and I couldn't belive the difference in the roads once as you said you cross the Youghal bridge..

Not only were the roads in Cork desperate they also looked neglected completely as grass verges weren't touched and were overgrown also the white lines in places were faded beyond recognition..

I remember thinking after, there must be some divide in East & West Cork in road maintenance as they were much better on the Western side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

mike65 wrote: »

For those who missed it what did it say please

AA fellow was on, they did a survey of annoying/stupid/inconsistent speed limits and a few were in Waterford, but NOT the ORR as it happened, though Billy McCarthy did mention it as a bone of contention.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0419/1224314926064.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

I have a bone to pick with waterford motorists.

I drive a little nissan micra to work in dungarvan every day and so i travel the outer ring road twice a day, morning and evening.

Now i often find myself travelling at speeds of up to 80, 90 and 100km/h some mornings on that road (usually because i am late) yet nearly every car seems to fly past me. My poor car shaking and trembling due to being driven at a speed not suited to it yet every other car on the horizon seems to simply glide up past me, presumably at speeds of 120km/h or more

My question is, do people have absoultely no regard for the speed limit, ridiculous as it may be on this road (because they aint just going a few miles over), or do people just have a natural need, inclination and instinct to overtake a nissan micra regardless or location, speed or situation?

I'm starting to think the latter, because no matter where i go and how fast i drive everyone seems to overtake me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

So it's just Waterford motorists who speed? Yet driving consistently on the M9,M1 etc I see people flying past me when I'm going 120km/h. Not just a Waterford thing!

lol it's the micra :D

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

kkdela6 wrote: »

I drive a little nissan micra to work in dungarvan every day and so i travel the outer ring road twice a day, morning and evening.

Now i often find myself travelling at speeds of up to 80, 90 and 100km/h some mornings on that road (usually because i am late) yet nearly every car seems to fly past me. My poor car shaking and trembling due to being driven at a speed not suited to it yet every other car on the horizon seems to simply glide up past me, presumably at speeds of 120km/h or more

My question is, do people have absoultely no regard for the speed limit, ridiculous as it may be on this road (because they aint just going a few miles over), or do people just have a natural need, inclination and instinct to overtake a nissan micra regardless or location, speed or situation?

I'm starting to think the latter, because no matter where i go and how fast i drive everyone seems to overtake me :(

Sure your speeding yourself !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Don't take it personally, its nothing to do with the car you drive,it is the ridiculously low speed limit , that is what happens when a speed limit is set too low, people need to believe limits are fair and reasonable to support them.When they are patently stupid like the ORR they are totally ignored.

kensutz wrote: »
    So it's just Waterford motorists who speed? Yet driving consistently on the M9,M1 etc I see people flying past me when I'm going 120km/h. Not just a Waterford thing!

No no, just in this particular case on the ORR its the waterford motorists #bittermandrivinga****car :o
    Nypd wrote: »
    Sure your speeding yourself !

Haha i know, i make no excuses there. Im just wondering is there something built into peoples minds that they must overtake a nissan micra, as if it is some kind of dent in ones pride to be behind one, when one could be in front of said micra.
    Or do people just not give a f*ck about the speed limit on the ORR.
    Its the same on the Dungarvan-Lemybrien-Waterford road. The limit is 100km/h, a very reasonable limit, and even when id be touching off 105km/h ( the limit of what shes physically able for) theyd still be roaring past me, and then continuing on as normal in front of me! wait til i get the john deere out in may for silage season il sort the men from the boys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

So because your late you can travel nearly double the limit at 100 where your car can not handle the speed. As you Say it shakes at that limit.
    I hope this is a troll as complaining that others are over taking you?
    Don't complain about others breaking the law as you are doing it as well.
    Safe driving is not trying to go as fast as you can, so others can't overtake you.

• Advertisement

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    So because your late you can travel nearly double the limit at 100 where your car can not handle the speed. As you Say it shakes at that limit.
    I hope this is a troll as complaining that others are over taking you?
    Don't complain about others breaking the law as you are doing it as well.
    Safe driving is not trying to go as fast as you can, so others can't overtake you.

no no no your getting me all wrong. Im not saying i'm in the right, my point is that even if i am speeding and going way over the limit, people still go out of their way to overtake me.
    And my question is, do they have total disregard for the speed limit (why would you need/want to overtake somebody who is already miles and miles over the limit?)
    Or do people just have a natural need to overtake little nissan micras, cos hell it must be either a 17 year old girl or a 80 year old man driving it

Advertisement