Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Limit on Outter Ring Road - Calls for Increase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Some just like to overtake any car and they think they get held up at the roundabout. As for the Nissan i say most don't care if they go the speed limit or over.
    Some might care that a mirca is going faster then them but most wouldn't. don't take it to heart and just laugh at others that are so insecure that they need to overtake the mirca.
    Drive to your speed that's safe for your car and smile at those poor insecure that need to show their car is superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

kkdela6 wrote: »
    I have a bone to pick with waterford motorists.

I drive a little nissan micra to work in dungarvan every day and so i travel the outer ring road twice a day, morning and evening.

Now i often find myself travelling at speeds of up to 80, 90 and 100km/h some mornings on that road (usually because i am late) yet nearly every car seems to fly past me. My poor car shaking and trembling due to being driven at a speed not suited to it yet every other car on the horizon seems to simply glide up past me, presumably at speeds of 120km/h or more

My question is, do people have absoultely no regard for the speed limit, ridiculous as it may be on this road (because they aint just going a few miles over), or do people just have a natural need, inclination and instinct to overtake a nissan micra regardless or location, speed or situation?

I'm starting to think the latter, because no matter where i go and how fast i drive everyone seems to overtake me :(

If your car is shaking at 100km/h you should probably get that checked out...I know they are small and only a 1 litre engine but they should happily sit at motorway speed...

Different cars are capable of different speeds....and yes, not many people like to be stuck behind a micra!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Always thought the speed limit on the ORR was way too low until i tried to get onto the Road from one of the roundabouts up past Tramore road i think.

Nearly got minced by some fella doing about 100. Suddenly realised why the limit is 60. Try it yourself and youll see what i mean. Theres too many blind spots on the entrances to the roads to make it even 80. If some granny in a micra pulls out of one and someone in powerful car is speeding its not gonna end well.

Only a matter of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

2" sulkys on the ORR just now side by side racing each other, f**k everyone else, even your Nissan couldn't get passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

wellboytoo wrote: »
    2" sulkys on the ORR just now side by side racing each other, f**k everyone else, even your Nissan couldn't get passed.

Now, now, don't you know that it's their culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

kkdela6 wrote: »
    No no, just in this particular case on the ORR its the waterford motorists #bittermandrivinga****car :o

Haha i know, i make no excuses there. Im just wondering is there something built into peoples minds that they must overtake a nissan micra, as if it is some kind of dent in ones pride to be behind one, when one could be in front of said micra.
    Or do people just not give a f*ck about the speed limit on the ORR.
    Its the same on the Dungarvan-Lemybrien-Waterford road. The limit is 100km/h, a very reasonable limit, and even when id be touching off 105km/h ( the limit of what shes physically able for) theyd still be roaring past me, and then continuing on as normal in front of me! wait til i get the john deere out in may for silage season il sort the men from the boys

Usually when I see a micra driver I think 'Oh god not another one' because they drive ridiculously slow!!! I sometimes think do they not realise there is more than 3 gears in the car and they drive at such a slow speed that it can be dangerous when the speed limit is set much higher!! It tends to be oldies who drive them but your the odd exception as you make your little micra shake with the speed your going:p

So I wouldnt feel a need to overtake you if you were already speeding, its just the micra's that drive at a snails pace I over take!! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Having driven a Micra for both long and short journeys - its a slow mover and while she doesn't shake at 100, if you drop the speed a little bit she will take a while to regain speed.

So expect people to avoid a Micra. Even at its top speed, its worth passing out because you will end up being slowed down by it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Posted on City council site last week......

WATERFORD CITY COUNCIL
    Draft Special Speed Limit Bye-Laws

Waterford City Council, in accordance with Section 9 of the Road Traffic Act 2004, propose to introduce Waterford City Special Speed Limit Bye-Laws 2012. The purpose of the Bye-Laws is:

• Outer Ring Road – it is proposed to change the speed limit from 60kph to 80kph on the ORR from the City Bypass N25 junction at Carriganore to the Airport Road Roundabout.
    • Old Kilmeaden Road – it is proposed to change the speed limit from 50kph to 60kph from the junction with the Outer Ring Road to the junction with the Carrickphierish Road.
    • N25 City Bypass – it is proposed to rectify the current situation on the Bypass by the application of a 100kph limit generally with 80 kph and 50kph limits on the approaches to the Toll Plaza as currently sign posted.
    • Monamintra Cross Road – it is proposed to reduce the speed limit from 60kph to 50kph in the vicinity of the new secondary school
    • Airport Road – it is proposed to change the limit on a section of the road from 60kph to 80kph to ensure consistency with the limit on the County boundary section of the road
    A copy of the Draft Special Speed Limit Bye-Laws 2012 may be inspected during normal office hours, at Menapia Building, The Mall, Waterford during the period Friday, 13th April, 2012 to Monday, 14th May, 2012.

Written objections to the Draft Special Speed Limit Bye-Laws 2012 may be made to the undersigned, on or before Monday, 14th May 2012. All such written objections will be considered by the members of Waterford City Council.

Fergus Galvin,
    Director of Services,
    Corporate Affairs & Transportation,
    Waterford City Council,
    The Mall,
    Waterford.

Dated : 13th April 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Looks like this is up for discussion again at this months City Council Meeting

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/meetings/council/2012/Agenda%20-%2010th%20Sept%202012.doc

5. DRAFT SPECIAL– SPEED LIMIT BYE LAWS
    Report attached

So I can only hope it is to implement the New Bye Laws (http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/notices/Waterford%20City%20Special%20Speed%20Limit%20Bye%20Laws%202012.doc)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bumping this topic with good news.. After four years of campaigning by Fine Gael / Young Fine Gael, common sense has prevailed. 13 votes to 1 with Seamus Ryan the only Cllr. to vote against.

The speed limit is now 80km/hr up from 60km/hr. Voted on about 15mins ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

Sully wrote: »

I assume you actually meant to say that once signs are in places and limits are officially changed the speed limit WILL BE 80km/hr or can we go drive on the outer ring road at 80km/hr and say "Sully told us it was ok" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D

That'll stand up in court! Good news for some common sense to be shown, takes time though doesn't it? This democracy thing is quite overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

And you know sully would be passing by as you get pulled over for speeding ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

One voted against on what grounds ffs ,abolish all councils might be the right thing to do!

Bumping this topic with good news.. After four years of campaigning by Fine Gael / Young Fine Gael, common sense has prevailed. 13 votes to 1 with Seamus Ryan the only Cllr. to vote against.

Can we merge these please, i had this marked since last week to keep an eye out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056522616&page=5

MacGyver wrote: »
    I assume you actually meant to say that once signs are in places and limits are officially changed the speed limit WILL BE 80km/hr or can we go drive on the outer ring road at 80km/hr and say "Sully told us it was ok" ?

Cops can only prosecute against the bye-laws, if the bye-laws now say 80km/h then you can legally drive at 80km/h without fear of prosecution

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Will the NRA or what ever they are called have to rubber stamp the vote first. 60Kmp on a duel carrigeway in the first place was madness. Especially as you can turn left at the Butlerstown Round about and then hit 80 (was 100) and it is not near a good a road. Who set the 60 in the first place, the city council?

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Will the NRA or what ever they are called have to rubber stamp the vote first. 60Kmp on a duel carrigeway in the first place was madness. Especially as you can turn left at the Butlerstown Round about and then hit 80 (was 100) and it is not near a good a road. Who set the 60 in the first place, the city council?

Nothing to do with the NRA. Legal limit is now 80.

City/county council sets speed limits on roads in their respective jurisdiction, unless directed to do so by ministerial order. I.E change in HQDC to motorway etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Now we just need to raise the speed limit of the road out of Waterford towards the motorway/Granny. 60kph there too, and even 50kph for some of it. Its a better road the the dual carridge way up through ferrybank. Ridiculous.

Now we just need to raise the speed limit of the road out of Waterford towards the motorway/Granny. 60kph there too, and even 50kph for some of it. Its a better road the the dual carridge way up through ferrybank. Ridiculous.

I believe KKCC are lookng into this at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bards wrote: »
    I believe KKCC are lookng into this at the moment

Its even more ridiculous that they have the say over that road

Its even more ridiculous that they have the say over that road

Here's the link

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Roads/Special_Speed_Limit_Bye-Laws/Road_Traffic_Special_Speed_Limit_Bye-Laws_2012.html

The proposed bye-laws include the following amendments to the previously adopted special speed limit bye-laws:

special speed limit of 80kph at Granagh to Newrath Roundabout, from Newrath Roundabout to Sallypark and to the junction with the Old New Ross Road at Slieverue.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Here's the link

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Roads/Special_Speed_Limit_Bye-Laws/Road_Traffic_Special_Speed_Limit_Bye-Laws_2012.html

The proposed bye-laws include the following amendments to the previously adopted special speed limit bye-laws:

special speed limit of 80kph at Granagh to Newrath Roundabout, from Newrath Roundabout to Sallypark and to the junction with the Old New Ross Road at Slieverue.

OT but thats a really nicely done website (besides the colour scheme :pac: )
    I was on the city council one today and its horrible by comparison!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

www.waterfordcity.ie is a bit too redolent of Web Mk 1

bump

Can we merge these please, i had this marked since last week to keep an eye out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056522616&page=5

Done. Sorry, forgot about that thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

I just heard on WLR that only part of the road is to be increased to 80kph?

If that is the case that is madness it should be 80kph the whole way from the new bridge to the Faronshoneen roundabout otherwise that again just makes a mockery of the whole thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Debs_Mann

Great to see that the speed limit has been increased, very hard to stick to 60KM/h on Dual Carriageway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭lertsnim

And about time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

reni10 wrote: »
    I just heard on WLR that only part of the road is to be increased to 80kph?

If that is the case that is madness it should be 80kph the whole way from the new bridge to the Faronshoneen roundabout otherwise that again just makes a mockery of the whole thing....
    yes 80 from b&q to jons park ,60 on to tesco then past the pony and trappers

Advertisement