Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Limit on Outter Ring Road - Calls for Increase

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Hoffmans wrote: »
    yes 80 from b&q to jons park ,60 on to tesco then past the pony and trappers

FFS. Can't they do anything right? What difference does it make if the last section is 80??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    FFS. Can't they do anything right? What difference does it make if the last section is 80??

Assume its due to it being a populated area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

So you won't run into the back of anyone turning out of the golf course/horse & cart emporium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

The last section is the only section containing entrances and exits (Golf Club, halting site and playing fields).

For the simple reason that cars would be braking at these points, or integrating into traffic, it makes sense to keep it at 60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I seen two roads signs on a stretch of road in KK that were about 20feet apart and they had different speed limits on them the first one said 60 the second 80 i mean wtf is that all about? id say the company that makes the road signs is laughing all the way to the bank with all these signs going up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Bards wrote: »
    Looks like this is up for discussion again at this months City Council Meeting

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/meetings/council/2012/Agenda%20-%2010th%20Sept%202012.doc

5. DRAFT SPECIAL– SPEED LIMIT BYE LAWS
    Report attached

So I can only hope it is to implement the New Bye Laws (http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/notices/Waterford%20City%20Special%20Speed%20Limit%20Bye%20Laws%202012.doc)

New Bye-Laws don;'t take effect until 11th October 2012
    http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/notices/ORR-ByeLaws2012.pdf

Here's the link

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Roads/Special_Speed_Limit_Bye-Laws/Road_Traffic_Special_Speed_Limit_Bye-Laws_2012.html

The proposed bye-laws include the following amendments to the previously adopted special speed limit bye-laws:

special speed limit of 80kph at Granagh to Newrath Roundabout, from Newrath Roundabout to Sallypark and to the junction with the Old New Ross Road at Slieverue.

Just passed by Sallypark this morning - Speed Limit Signs are now 80 Km/H from Sallypark to Newrath Roundabout - Up from 60 Km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Obv I have no proof or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Speed Cameras out in full force once the limit is officially 80km/h.

My spidey sences make me fell that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

This is an old thread, What gets me on this ORR is that when your in the left lane and approaching a roundabout intending to keep going straight and some tosser tries to get in in front of you approaching a roundabout and breaking before hes fully in the lane in front of you the amount of times ive had people do this to me i can only imagine what theyd be like when they are allowed to drive at 80, and as for people lane swerving when they are on the roundabout holy god, not to mention the people who dont know how to indicate properly at all not just the ones who choose not to.

When and if the speed increases youll have to be so much more vigilant for the drivers who dont know how to drive and theres a hell of alot of them on that road.

So, today is the 11th and New bye-Laws come into force. any sightings of new speed limit signs reflectig the new legal limit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

callaway92 wrote: »
    Obv I have no proof or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Speed Cameras out in full force once the limit is officially 80km/h.

My spidey sences make me fell that anyway.

Doesn't there have to have been an accident on the road to allow them to do it?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

dazftw wrote: »
    Doesn't there have to have been an accident on the road to allow them to do it?
    I think that's just the sub-contracted speed traps. The Gardaí can set up anywhere. (not 100%)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

So, today is the 11th and New bye-Laws come into force. any sightings of new speed limit signs reflectig the new legal limit?

I didn't drive home that way today but you'd usually see the new signs with black plastic covering them in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 al20v

60km/h Sighs were removed earlier today.
    No sighs on majority of the Orr
    Later on passed a chap getting pulled wonder did he realised .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Me and about eighty per cent of motorists have been doing 80 kph on it since the day it opened.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Me and about eighty per cent of motorists have been doing 80 kph on it since the day it opened.

Theres always a Guard doin speed checks on the roundabout between six cross roads roundabout and the the butlerstown roundabout and ive seen him pull a few drivers!

I have noticed that when you come from the new toll bridge onto the outter ring road there is a speed of 80 up until the strectch where you pass B+Q that goes back to 60 or it useto.

All the above aside i was coming down onto the outter ring road after a school drop this morn and i saw the workers takin down speed signs and replaced them from 60 to 80 going onto the outter ring road so it must be changed, havent clocked any new 80 signs on the outter ring road though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Theres always a Guard doin speed checks on the roundabout between six cross roads roundabout and the the butlerstown roundabout and ive seen him pull a few drivers!

I have noticed that when you come from the new toll bridge onto the outter ring road there is a speed of 80 up until the strectch where you pass B+Q that goes back to 60 or it useto.

All the above aside i was coming down onto the outter ring road after a school drop this morn and i saw the workers takin down speed signs and replaced them from 60 to 80 going onto the outter ring road so it must be changed, havent clocked any new 80 signs on the outter ring road though

Better start doin' the ton on it then!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

al20v wrote: »
    60km/h Sighs were removed earlier today.
    No sighs on majority of the Orr
    Later on passed a chap getting pulled wonder did he realised .....

I drove on it yesterday evening, the B&Q section is now 80 and is signed for it. The ORR had no signs at all so I drove at 80 the whole way since the last road I was on said 80 :) I came back that way and from the Ardkeen side you had 2 signs saying 60 but no more signs after that. You could see where the confusion would come from though if you were pulled in. You would certainly have a case to argue if you were heading towards Ardkeen.

witless1 wrote: »
    I drove on it yesterday evening, the B&Q section is now 80 and is signed for it. The ORR had no signs at all so I drove at 80 the whole way since the last road I was on said 80 :) I came back that way and from the Ardkeen side you had 2 signs saying 60 but no more signs after that. You could see where the confusion would come from though if you were pulled in. You would certainly have a case to argue if you were heading towards Ardkeen.

I think there will always be an excuse from now on! Although i know there are sign posts with the speeds taken down maybe they havent got around to changing them, I think you have the Butlerstown one and then Carrickpherish and then six cross roads road about, I think its called Carrickpherish, from that roundabout down to six cross roads had got sign posts saying 60, very very small ones mind, they are now gone! theres a school up off the carrickpherish roundabout and that road was 80 and its now down to 60 so theres changes going on! still watch out for the cop with the speed gun on the carrickpherish roundabout looking down as your coming from six cross roads direction.

There was a speed camera van as you come off the ORR roundabout to go to Cherrymount, the road is in an S as you come off it and the van was right on a bend to catch people doing 60 as i thought it still was, I thought it was kinda sly being that close to the outter ring road i know people sometimes take time to adjust their speed so its like they knew that too and thought we'll catch a few here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

On the first part of the ring road where the golf course is that apparently will stay at 60kmh.

• Advertisement

200motels wrote: »
    On the first part of the ring road where the golf course is that apparently will stay at 60kmh.

No Apparantly about it. It Definately will stay at 60 Km/H from the Farronshoneen r/a to the Airport Road r/a as that is what the Bye-Laws define.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Better start doin' the ton on it then!:D

I know you're messing but that would be my only concern about the change. I've been doing 80 on it most weekdays on the majority of the stretch, especially if I'm passing someone out but it was always safe to do so, I don't think the road is built food a majority to do 100k as I fear most will.

One thing is, the stretch from B&Q up to Carrickphierish (Genzyme) is 50k and it sees a lot of travelers speeding towards the halting site there, I would hope the Guards would do something about that. Fcukin ridiculous speeds they go, nearly always in english reg cars. One even passed me and an armored Garda van the other night and the Guards just kept driving! I'm hoping they called it in, but the traveller bombed past everyone, swerving between lanes, very dangerous. I know it was a traveller as it was parked in the halting site when I passed a few minutes later. When I got home, I mentioned it to the girlfriend and she said the same car nearly took the side off her car earlier on the same stretch. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Jason Todd wrote: »
    One thing is, the stretch from B&Q up to Carrickphierish (Genzyme) is 50k

That got upgraded as well, I was on it yesterday and the signs are now 60. It might stop the idiots overtaking on it. I stick to 50 on that section knowing the cops would be there but when I was learning to drive the combination of an L plate and sticking to the 50 meant I was overtaken on a daily basis.

Does anyone know if the road off that Carrickphierish roundabout, the one that takes you over to the back of Gracedieu, has been upgraded? That used to be 50 as well and is painfully slow to get across!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

witless1 wrote: »
    That got upgraded as well, I was on it yesterday and the signs are now 60. It might stop the idiots overtaking on it. I stick to 50 on that section knowing the cops would be there but when I was learning to drive the combination of an L plate and sticking to the 50 meant I was overtaken on a daily basis.

Does anyone know if the road off that Carrickphierish roundabout, the one that takes you over to the back of Gracedieu, has been upgraded? That used to be 50 as well and is painfully slow to get across!!

I know, I live on it! And it is a good road too, I think the limit might be so because of all the estates and lots of kids being around maybe? There is planning permission for a school to go there too.

I think there will always be an excuse from now on! Although i know there are sign posts with the speeds taken down maybe they havent got around to changing them, I think you have the Butlerstown one and then Carrickpherish and then six cross roads road about, I think its called Carrickpherish, from that roundabout down to six cross roads had got sign posts saying 60, very very small ones mind, they are now gone! theres a school up off the carrickpherish roundabout and that road was 80 and its now down to 60 so theres changes going on! still watch out for the cop with the speed gun on the carrickpherish roundabout looking down as your coming from six cross roads direction.

There was a speed camera van as you come off the ORR roundabout to go to Cherrymount, the road is in an S as you come off it and the van was right on a bend to catch people doing 60 as i thought it still was, I thought it was kinda sly being that close to the outter ring road i know people sometimes take time to adjust their speed so its like they knew that too and thought we'll catch a few here!

I made a mistake there i was referring to the carrickpherish roundabout when i was suppose to be saying Ballycashin roundabout.

Advertisement