Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Portfolio Site

Options
  • 15-02-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello all,

http://www.carlosgarcia.ie

It's often been the case, you make a psd and add layer style upon layer style and when it comes down to the crunch you have to ditch it all because of file size or the limitations of web conversion. For my new Portfolio i decided not to sacrifice anything and build it the way i wanted to.

I'd really appreciate any feedback or comment on my new Beta site.

Thanks a million,
    Carlos.

http://www.carlosgarcia.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Left

Overall, I think it's beautiful. Your 3D work is really top notch, and the site design seems to be in line with your style. I especially like the top menu.

What struck me first was the enlarged size of everything, and the big empty space in the centre on the home page. It seems to me something should fill it, or perhaps the teasers at the bottom have to move up.

A small thing - the link to your portfolio on the front page should say it's a PDF. A personal preference perhaps. I use a PDF plugin in Firefox, and when I click on the link, it replaces the site with the PDF in the browser.

Nice work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 particles

Nice... I work only with print but love the old eye candy too... well perfected on the gradation/meshing technique on the buttons etc... it really adds a feeling of being able to 'reach out and touch' the sites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Very nice website. I think it definitely promotes you more as an Interactive Designer as opposed to print, but that seems to be your aim so nice job!

One thing I would question is your CV. Had a quick look at it and personally I find it very overwhelming and cluttered. An awful lot of text on there and the graphics for each section are a bit pointless.

I know you're only asking for critique on your website but just thought I'd share my thoughts on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

looks tidy. A couple of small bits that catch my eye. One being that red "new for 2010" corner piece, doesnt really sit well imo... could be alignment or something.

The only other thing is that it looks like an advert for fulltilt poker and that theres not much diversaty in the site. Your full tilt website looks very similar to your actual portfolio site.

The works of a high standard, just the the vibe is all the same, and looks like you only care about poker, black, grey and red. Thats a major turn off for me and im sure other possible customers.

great job overall tho, you carry that style very well imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Two thumbs up on your design, clean and sharp with neutral tones is always a winner for me.

If you have any case studies you might have worked on it would be good to put them up aswell to beef up the content.

Also if you sacrificed half of that free space area on the left of the page the site would fit better on more screens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dinnybatman2

Very nice site. Especially like the "oversize" look of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 habanaboy

Thanks a million for the feedback. Some seriously good points here that i'm definitely going to take into consideration. I'll repost when i've addressed some of the issues.

Carlos,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Looks terrific to me :)

Quick suggestion would be to add some sort of rollover effect to the Feeds/Links part of the footer

I'd also agree with a previous poster regarding your CV. I'm not wild about the text on the first page (with your name), it looks a bit gaudy and tacky to me -- like something I would do ! :D I'd also get rid of the tower graphics for each section, they don't appeal to me at all and it took me a while to realise there was text on them :p They look cool, but not on your CV. I didn't like the CV at all tbh -- I'd start it from scratch with a more subtle design. Just my opinion !

Your portfolio is all brilliant though, and your experience speaks for itself !

Oh, and you have to get a blog on there :) It's not a portfolio site unless it has a blog !

Quick question for you: in the education section you have 'ICM New Media Creative Design - Arthouse Temple Bar'. Could I just ask what you thought of that course? Any links for info on it? I'm looking for a short (1 yr or less) web design course to do -- one that focuses primarily on the design/creative aspect of it (typography, grids, colour theory, etc) ! There doesn't appear to be a huge selection of them. I've got several books on it that I'll get through too.

Advertisement