Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD! **Read first post before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Are landlords legally allowed to refuse to let to students?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Are landlords legally allowed to refuse to let to students?

No, it's illegal under equality legislation. In saying that, if any landlord says he/she doesn't want to take on students it's probably not worth your while arguing as you'll probably just have a rocky relationship with them if they do let you move in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

where is the best place to live for incoming students????

really need help here

thanks

and whats the chance of getting student acc???

Ddemo wrote: »
    where is the best place to live for incoming students????

really need help here

thanks

and whats the chance of getting student acc???

There is no "best place" really. You'll find houses of varying quality/price in nearly all the estates so it's best to just shop around and scope out the area first.

Some estates are obviously going to be closer to college/the main street/shops so you might want to check that out first.

Personally, I live in Cluain Aoibhinn, 10 mins from South campus(15 from North), 10 mins from town, 3 mins from Spar/off license, quiet enough estate but plenty of students nearby so you'll not be too far from friends if you're lucky.

Just avoid Old Greenfield Drive though, dodgy locals live there... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 silverberg

Hi, I'm a bit of a novice at house hunting. Just wondering is it too soon to start looking for accommodation for next year? and when a lease says 1 year, is this negotiable or do you actually have to stay for a year rather than the college year? also any questions or checks I should ask for or anything in general I should know.

• Advertisement

silverberg wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a bit of a novice at house hunting. Just wondering is it too soon to start looking for accommodation for next year? and when a lease says 1 year, is this negotiable or do you actually have to stay for a year rather than the college year? also any questions or checks I should ask for or anything in general I should know.

There's no rush really, there's more houses than students. I got a great house a week before college started this year.

If they ask for a 1 year lease just negotiate, our landlord knew we'd not stick around for the summer so didn't even bother asking for a 1 year lease. In saying that, we don't have a written lease so could leave tomorrow and he'd not be able to do anything really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 titi

Hi people,

I'm a french erasmus student and I'll come to Maynooth in september. I'm a bit worried after reading this thread!!! I would like to know what papers do I need to have to rent a room? How long before the term begin should I come to find a place? and how can I find roomies when I don't know anybody yet??

sorry it's a lot of questions... thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

titi wrote: »
    Hi people,

I'm a french erasmus student and I'll come to Maynooth in september. I'm a bit worried after reading this thread!!! I would like to know what papers do I need to have to rent a room? How long before the term begin should I come to find a place? and how can I find roomies when I don't know anybody yet??

sorry it's a lot of questions... thanks
    You should try and see if you can get on campus accommodation. I live on campus, and there's loads of erasmus students living here :) You can apply online using this form.

I hope you enjoy your time over here! My friend is on erasmus in France at the moment, and she absolutely loves it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 titi

thank you for your reply! I already applied for on campus accomodation and i hope i'll get a place but the thing is that it's kind of expensive... and if i don't get a place i would like to know what are my other options..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 muireannic

Hi there, look up "studentaccommodationmaynooth.ie" for very central, secure accommodation only 2 mins walk from campus. It's in the heart of Maynooth and they have a special offer going for anyone who books before May 2010. Check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

....how helpful...thank you....

¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

muireannic wrote: »
    Hi there, look up "studentaccommodationmaynooth.ie" for very central, secure accommodation only 2 mins walk from campus. It's in the heart of Maynooth and they have a special offer going for anyone who books before May 2010. Check it out

Modabeez?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 enola/alone

nothing wrote: »
    Kingsbry is a kip, walls are paper thin, and landlords try to squeeze as many as possible into the houses...

Friends of mine down there this year - seven of them in a three-bedroom semi. Paying an unsavoury sum of money as well. No facilities at all to speak of either. I don't know about Kingsbury as an estate, but in my friends' house the walls are thin, house is cold, and single glazed windows. Estate is nice enough though. Close to the chipper, Centra, Lidl, Spar, Off-License and a 24 hour Maxol garage.

Does anyone know what date the lease for on-campus accommodation ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

End of May/start of July?

Think it was July 6th last year!

Duddy wrote: »
    End of May/start of July?

Think it was July 6th last year!

Hmmm... Because I've fallen in love with a house with a year's lease (6 bedroom for €1000 a month) but they will only accept a 1 year lease (AFAIK it's to avoid letting to students) but if the 6 of us took out the year's lease, it'd still be cheaper than getting on-campus or another house with a 9 month lease!

Hmmm... Because I've fallen in love with a house with a year's lease (6 bedroom for €1000 a month) but they will only accept a 1 year lease (AFAIK it's to avoid letting to students) but if the 6 of us took out the year's lease, it'd still be cheaper than getting on-campus or another house with a 9 month lease!

As in you want to move in whenever you're kicked out of on-campus? It's very unlikely you'd need to be in any rush to snap up the house as most rental properties lie empty over summer.

And if they don't ask for a written lease... ;)

irish_goat wrote: »
    As in you want to move in whenever you're kicked out of on-campus? It's very unlikely you'd need to be in any rush to snap up the house as most rental properties lie empty over summer.

And if they don't ask for a written lease... ;)

We're not planning on moving in straight away, but since it's a one year lease we might as well get it at the start of the summer so that we can have it until the end of the next academic year. I don't want to risk losing it to anyone else!

I doubt they will rent it to us though since we're students, but if that's the only reason we're given after providing previous references, then I'm prepared to contest it seeing as they cannot legally refuse to let it to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

REALLY NEED HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHICH IS THE BEST STUDENT ACCOMODATION IE VILLAGE OR RIVER APPARTMENTS ???

OR WOULD YOU BE BETTER OFF GETTING ACCOMMODATION OFF CAMPUS???

IM CONCERNED ABOUT OFF CAMPUS ACCOMMODATION AS IM GOING MAYNOOTH ON MY OWN.

PLEASE HELP:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 njC

Could anybody just let me know what the on campus internet is like for people staying in Ryehall ie. Is it fast, consistent, what is the download speed and can you use it to play games online like Xbox Live?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Does anyone know if the list for On-Campus has come out yet or when we will know if it hasn't! need to work out if i need to find a house or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

The list is out. I went to the residence office today and they checked it for me. I got a place on campus next year as well! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Wendero wrote: »
    The list is out. I went to the residence office today and they checked it for me. I got a place on campus next year as well! :)

Did you get an email?!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Nope, no email. They've had problems, that's all. But I went to the office and they confirmed that I got a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BarbieandKen

Im moving up for the summer, say mid june 2 mid august and was wondering does the rent come down for those months as I'd luv2get an appartment on my own..have a bit of privacy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BarbieandKen

Does anyone know wher they do good deals wit summer accomodation in Maynooth? Im moving up mid june and dont want2pay a fortune in rent 4 an appartment or house...I dont want 2 share, could go back to sharing with strangers:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

In general accomodation is dirt cheap during the summer, I know people who got a room in a house for €50 a week.

Im moving up for the summer, say mid june 2 mid august and was wondering does the rent come down for those months as I'd luv2get an appartment on my own..have a bit of privacy!

The apartments are very unlikely to get cheaper as they tend to be filled with non-students anyway. Houses will probably get cheaper if you haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Ataxia

It would be nice if we didn't have to learn about it by word of mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

There was a sign up about it on the office door I think. But I'm pretty sure they sent out emails last year telling us that we got it?

Anyway, I don't care because NO MORE CAMPUS EVAR!! :D:D Three years is too long.

Advertisement