Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD! **Read first post before posting**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LCFin.yay

Does anyone know the best place to advertise a room for rent over the summer?

I have a house sorted with two empty rooms over the summer.

They'd be cheap and it's right beside the college. I have a friend who might possibly move in so I could be alright but encase he can't, does the library mind people hanging up ads or do you need to ask permission?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

LCFin.yay wrote: »
    Does anyone know the best place to advertise a room for rent over the summer?

I have a house sorted with two empty rooms over the summer.

They'd be cheap and it's right beside the college. I have a friend who might possibly move in so I could be alright but encase he can't, does the library mind people hanging up ads or do you need to ask permission?
    How much and where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LCFin.yay

Moyglare

Around about 50 a week or so, or 35 for a single room. It's bigger than a box room, and there is a decent sized wardrobe in it. The double room has load of storage space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Phish_Food

Myself and a few others are looking at a house in Kingsbry for next year. Would anyone recommend this estate, or is to be avoided? its a bit of a trek to the campus, but it has single rooms so that's a big plus. Also, what's the quickest way from kinsbury to the campus?:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Phish_Food wrote: »
    Myself and a few others are looking at a house in Kingsbry for next year. Would anyone recommend this estate, or is to be avoided? its a bit of a trek to the campus, but it has single rooms so that's a big plus. Also, what's the quickest way from kinsbury to the campus?:)

Kingsbry is grand, plenty of students about, close to the Newtown pub/offy and Spar. Takes a couple of minutes to get from there to South Campus and you can jump the wall to come out behind Logic house and have a quicker route towards North Campus..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ccass1502

as of next year, i'm a 3rd year science student. i've got a twin room on hold in Barton Hall of Residence...THIS PLACE IS A PALACE!

total for the year: 3200+400(deposit that pays all utilities, heating, refuse(all bills))
    paid bi-anually (september and january)

two minutes from village and dunnes
    5 minutes from campus

very large Twin room
    en-suite
    desk
    storage
    appartment for four people (two twins)
    really nice kitchen/dining room

grounds:
    secure coded gate
    secure parking available (on request)
    CCTV
    landlord is very reasonable and looks after tenants well
    bins collected weekly and left out by landlord

I'm clean and tidy, easy to live with. Know the two girls that will share the other room. sound as a a pound!

PLEASE!!! dont know why there isn't a queue a mile long comin outta the place

oh oh
    and in appartment laundry facilities
    comfortable
    emersion

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

ccass1502 wrote: »
    oh oh
    and in appartment laundry facilities
    comfortable
    emersion

Ah... I never lived in Barton, but my girlfriend did so I spent a good deal of time there. The apartments ARE lovely and the rooms are all huge.

But

Tony.

He's the caretaker / manager and he's about the most oppressive person to ever hold a job like that ever. He frequently sits in the driveway in his jeep at night time waiting for people to try and bring their friends back etc. He, alone is the single reason I would never EVER live in Barton.

Maybe, just maybe, you'll like it though. Best of luck! :)

Where is this place? :confused:

Actually, i think Tony is sound. He's keepin watch so no partys are brought back. My friends are really looked after in there. I'm over there a lot too. he's a bit strict but personally, i don't mind. My landlord in meadowbrook abandons us from one end of the year till the next. she doesn't answer our calls. i can deal with Tony, haha.
    If you know anyone willing to share, let them know i'm here.

• Advertisement

Pound Lane. down the side street at ONeils. also, at the corner of the mechanics across the road and down a bit from Dunnes. Very close to anywhere in the village. LOVELY SPOT

Opposite I-Tab? Know the place you're chattin about now. Very handy location anyway.

that's the one! let me know if you know anyone lookin for a place! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

ccass1502 wrote: »
    Actually, i think Tony is sound. He's keepin watch so no partys are brought back. .
    You are allowed to have friends over for pre-drinks etc.?? And there's no chance of him trying to stop you from bringing a girl home after a night out I hope?:eek:

K4t wrote: »
    And there's no chance of him trying to stop you from bringing a girl home after a night out I hope?:eek:

Get her in the bushes then so...

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Phish_Food wrote: »

You just asked the exact same questions I wanted answered! We're going back up to see the house for the second time tonight and hopefully to say YES PLEASE!

(Hang on... This isn't Claire, Mark, Jack or Séan is it...? The people I'm going to be living with...?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Where bouts is the estate Brookfield, can't see it on any maps???

It's at the bottom of Meadowbrook Road(near the Newtown Inn). Get google maps up and you should be able to find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

irish_goat wrote: »
    It's at the bottom of Meadowbrook Road(near the Newtown Inn). Get google maps up and you should be able to find it.
    Yeah it's basically the end of the line. Know 4 lads living down there this year and it's a fair treck into college if you're not cycling or driving. Good location though in that it's near a lot of other student houses in Meadowbrook and obviously the Newtown Inn which does cheaper pints than the Roost (not hard) and there's a chinese in the pub which does a lovely 3in1 which you can have with your pint. Nice houses too and cheap enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

Any housing estate/road full of students and landlords renting to students only? Going into first year and don't want to live on campus as i'm living with someone not in nuim...Is there anywhere where the landlord will find the other students,or any idea how to find a crowd to live with? :p also,would love a big house!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

Hey im hoping to be going to NUIM this year in Sept.
    Im in 6th year and just have a quick question.
    When applying for Student Acc it says 40% is allocated to first years ok, so say you dont get it, what then???? as i dont know any going to NUIM.

Really need help here asap thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

Ddemo wrote: »
    When applying for Student Acc it says 40% is allocated to first years ok, so say you dont get it, what then???? as i dont know any going to NUIM.

We're looking to team up with people if you're interested: :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055891003

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Ddemo wrote: »

The college residence office over here will help you out if you end up not getting campus, give them a ring or an email and they'll send you the accomodation list; by the time the CAO comes out, there's a lot of first years in the same boat, so you can get a room in a house somewhere around the place, either from that list or from Daft.ie. I wouldn't worry about it, you can spend those weeks in August having a good look around and find somewhere decent.

Looking for a place for next year at the moment, but we're looking for five single rooms - anyone think we'll have any luck? I know Moyglare have a few five single room houses, but houses around that area seem to go very quickly. Would we be better off waiting til the end of July? We're not really bothered about distance (as long as, y'know, it's in Maynooth) but the one thing everyone's pretty adamant about not sharing. Hoping something miraculously cheap will present itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 titi

i have a quick question... when do we know if we got campus or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Fenny wrote: »
    Looking for a place for next year at the moment, but we're looking for five single rooms - anyone think we'll have any luck? I know Moyglare have a few five single room houses, but houses around that area seem to go very quickly. Would we be better off waiting til the end of July? We're not really bothered about distance (as long as, y'know, it's in Maynooth) but the one thing everyone's pretty adamant about not sharing. Hoping something miraculously cheap will present itself!

If you keep looking you're bound to find something! I was looking for a 5 bed house since March and didn't see anything for ages- most places I went to wouldn't let to students. Eventually I found a place in Kingsbry (a bit of a walk but it's grand) and he wanted €80 per person per week but I got him down to €70. Don't be afraid to haggle with them because at the moment there are more houses than there are students!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

titi wrote: »
    i have a quick question... when do we know if we got campus or not?

About a few weeks ago! Call into the Residence Office!

are you serious? i thought we would know later! when i applied i received an email saying that they would be in touch with me nearer the summer!! (i'm an international student!! erasmus!! does it make any difference?)
    thanks for your answer i will send an email to the residence offfice

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

titi wrote: »
    are you serious? i thought we would know later! when i applied i received an email saying that they would be in touch with me nearer the summer!! (i'm an international student!! erasmus!! does it make any difference?)
    thanks for your answer i will send an email to the residence offfice

Oh well it could be different for you them! I'm talking about as an actual NUIM student. That's all they had arranged!" I have a friend coming over onternationally and when I asked about that she said they Hadn't sorted anyone outside the college this year yet!

so I got an answer from the residence office, here is what they told me...

I have checked our listings and we have received an application from you for campus for on campus for 2010/11. In July you will be notified if you got a place on campus or not.
    If you do not get on campus we can put you in contact with 'Conference and Accommodation' office on the South campus and you could book a room for a night or two as they do short stays. You could use that time to look for off campus accommodation. We have lists of rented houses in Maynooth which we can give you. Off campus rates vary from €60 if you share a room and for a single room you could pay anything from €80 - €100.
    On campus rates are from €92 to €110 for a single room. If you live on campus you pay in advance in Sept. and again in January if you are staying for the full year. But at the moment just wait until July to see if you get a room on campus.

So I guess i don't have to worry until july!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Is it too early to be looking for a house from daft etc? Most people say that they want to let immediately and to get back to them closer to August/Sept if it's still up. Should we wait till August to check again or just persevere?

Advertisement