Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD! **Read first post before posting**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'd suggest keeping an eye on them the whole time really, just to see how the prices change and what's out there. If you see something you really like, get in contact with your dates and see what the landlord says.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

How much do you guys that live off campus pay for bills/month on average?

A friend and I wanna move out for next year and its a bit of a concern.. We'd try be frugal ofcourse and not waste electricity but even then, I have no idea of how much it costs :D

Thanks for any help :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

We wrote: »
    How much do you guys that live off campus pay for bills/month on average?

A friend and I wanna move out for next year and its a bit of a concern.. We'd try be frugal ofcourse and not waste electricity but even then, I have no idea of how much it costs :D

Electric was generally €15-20 a month each (in a 4 bed house). It went up a little in the winter cause our heat was off for a while.
    Internet = €10 per month each but you can get cheaper.
    Oil/gas depends on how often you use the heating/how quick the house heats up but as far as I remember it was about €20 each per month though we had a lot of wasted oil when my idiot housemate would leave it on for hours on end and leave it on whenever we all went home for the weekends and easter. :mad:

Bins cost money too, think ours was supposed to work out at around €6 per bin with free recycling but our landlord forgot to take it out of the deposit so he can foot the bill for it at the end of the year. (I'd feel bad, but he was a wanker about how we left the place).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 emmaocal

Hi!! were looking for 2-3 people to share a house in maynooth! were 2 PhD students in our first year! and would like to share with people close in age (22yrs up). must be tidy but most importantly up for a laugh!! :) rent €200-300!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I'm in such a pickle, is anyone willing to house share with me?
    My boyfriend and I want to get a house with two double rooms or even one single and one double - sounds weird but we have a lot of stuff :rolleyes:
    Firstly it's impossible to find a house renting two rooms because most places you rent by house, and secondly nobody wants to live with a couple, even though we wouldn't be all cuddly in the living room and we wouldn't be looking to pay bills as just one person!

So I was wondering if maybe another couple was interested in renting with us or something like that? But you don't have to be part of a couple of course we wouldn't make you feel weird!

We're going into first year by the way, young and fun-loving but not rowdy, and we're neat and tidy people :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

tigerblob wrote: »
    I'm in such a pickle, is anyone willing to house share with me?
    My boyfriend and I want to get a house with two double rooms or even one single and one double - sounds weird but we have a lot of stuff :rolleyes:
    Firstly it's impossible to find a house renting two rooms because most places you rent by house, and secondly nobody wants to live with a couple, even though we wouldn't be all cuddly in the living room and we wouldn't be looking to pay bills as just one person!

So I was wondering if maybe another couple was interested in renting with us or something like that? But you don't have to be part of a couple of course we wouldn't make you feel weird!

We're going into first year by the way, young and fun-loving but not rowdy, and we're neat and tidy people :)

Yes please! We're in the same situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cutiepie27

I was thinking of moving out and moving into Maynooth in december, will it be difficult to find accommodation at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

cutiepie27 wrote: »
    I was thinking of moving out and moving into Maynooth in december, will it be difficult to find accommodation at that time?

There are leaflets and flyers put up around campus all year round, people are nearly always in need of new housemates at different times of the year. Two people I know only mmoved up in Feb and had no problem finding houses near by. You could also try the accomodation office a month or so before you move, you could get a place on campus if you got lucky. I was off campus from September, then moved into Village apartments in November, and another friend moved on in February. Worth a try! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Anyone still looking for a room for September?

We've got a 5 bed house in Kingsbry and one of the girls just pulled out.

It's a single room, €70 a week plus utilities.

There's myself (a girl) and 3 other guys. We're all going into second year, except for one who's going into 3rd.

It's a decent sized house with one bathroom (hence why I'd love another girl in the house rather than another guy!) a sitting room, utility, kitchen and dining room. There's also another room with just a table in it that we're considering turning into a second TV room. There's a lovely garden and an empty driveway (since none of us have a car- hence why I'd love a car-driving girl...)

The landlord is a sound guy and the neighbours are too.

If you know anyone that might be interested, give me a PM and I'll chat to you about it/ We can move in from the 11th September and have it until the 10th June if I'm correct- give or take a day or two.

We're all lovely people!
    :):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

PM sent.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 titi

can somebody tell me how is Riordan Hall in the village apartments?

titi wrote: »
    can somebody tell me how is Riordan Hall in the village apartments?
    Riordan Hall is just like any of the other village appartments. It was fairly quiet this year compared to the other buildings and so the appartments should be in good shape! It's opposite hargadon hall and only a minute's walk from college.

thx for your reply! i'll be in this hall next year! hope it will be a great year...

i was asking this question because i have no idea how these apartments are..

titi wrote: »
    thx for your reply! i'll be in this hall next year! hope it will be a great year...

i was asking this question because i have no idea how these apartments are..
    Ah inside they're fine. 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms (two showers or a shower and a bath). The bedrooms are small but not so small that you'll feel claustrophobic! There is one living room/kitchen area which is fairly spacious. They're not the cleanest apaprtments you'll ever stay in and some fo the stuff is pretty old. Very expensive for what you're getting but then again the location and scarce supply of campus accomm means that demand outweighs supply significantly. They do the job though.:)

i think all apartments are expensive for what you've getting! but when you're an international student you are so relieved to know that you have a place to stay as soon as you arrive and the rest does not really matter. Just hope the roomies will be cool!! the village was my first choice anyway because river is way too expensive for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 boos

just wondering if anyone lives here and what its like

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

boos wrote: »

The colours, children!

Don't live there myself, sorry I can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Seems to be quite dear when compared with on-campus accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Says it's on the Moyglare road. I walked that road for 3 years and have never noticed that building. Maybe it looks different from the front.

Though if it is where it says it is, it really is very close to the college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

It's the hostel at Kairos, right across the road from the Moyglare entrance to the college. Had a few friends who lived there. Nice place and free meals every day BUT there were a lot of nut jobs living there. Also they're apparently very strict about alcohol. One of my friends got in trouble for coming in drunk because he was "bringing alcohol into the building in his body"
    So as long as you're not looking for a crazy party house it's a nice spot!

wha wrote: »
    It's the hostel at Kairos, right across the road from the Moyglare entrance to the college. Had a few friends who lived there. Nice place and free meals every day BUT there were a lot of nut jobs living there. Also they're apparently very strict about alcohol. One of my friends got in trouble for coming in drunk because he was "bringing alcohol into the building in his body"
    So as long as you're not looking for a crazy party house it's a nice spot!
    Wait, so they don't allow you to drink in your own room ?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

Don't think so. I know people did drink there (and had lots of fun!) but you have to be VERY careful that you're not found out!

wha wrote: »
    Don't think so. I know people did drink there (and had lots of fun!) but you have to be VERY careful that you're not found out!
    Holy crap, paying that kind of rent and not being allowed to drink :eek::eek: Hell on earth :p

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

I stayed on Campus accomodation for my 3 years there.. very close to college.. suited me perfect, rooms were grand! Course you are allowed to drink.. I think that other person might be thinking of a building on campus that ya can just stay in for a night or two like if your repeating exams or whatever...

It was expensive enough but your like 1 minute walk to college so if thats what ya want its perfect... the newer apartments on campus were that bit more expensive than older ones.. they have ensuites generally and stuff.. i stayed in the older ones and they were perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Blue_Light

The NUIM Campus accommodation and the Student Accommodation Maynooth are two completely separate things.

That Student Accommodation one is based on the Moyglare Road and run by the people who run the Divine Ward group. You're not allowed to drink on the premises or come back drunk, but on the plus side you do get meals and it'd be only five minutes from college. They are really strict and weird about somethings though and personally know of one guy who got a lot of hassle when he came out in first year.

NUIM Campus accomodation is http://residence.nuim.ie/ and would be the official college one. Not as many rules there at all, your apartment is treated as your own apartment so of course you can drink in it and do what you want, up until the point where you either annoy your housemates or others on the campus. It's located on the campus itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

I was in Kairos at least once a week for the last year and never noticed that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Unless you're a religious type avoid that place, we met a creepy guy in the pub who was trying to convince us to move there last year whenever we needed to find a house. He gave us the whole "you can be saved by Jesus" speel as well. All seemed a bit culty to me.

They might as well make it a convent so :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Blue_Light wrote: »
    The NUIM Campus accommodation and the Student Accommodation Maynooth are two completely separate things.

That Student Accommodation one is based on the Moyglare Road and run by the people who run the Divine Ward group. You're not allowed to drink on the premises or come back drunk, but on the plus side you do get meals and it'd be only five minutes from college. They are really strict and weird about somethings though and personally know of one guy who got a lot of hassle when he came out in first year.

NUIM Campus accomodation is http://residence.nuim.ie/ and would be the official college one. Not as many rules there at all, your apartment is treated as your own apartment so of course you can drink in it and do what you want, up until the point where you either annoy your housemates or others on the campus. It's located on the campus itself.

that sounds a bit weird about your friend? crazyness?!!

seems ta be a good few bad points, think ill just pray for on campus instead!!

Advertisement