Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its Better Than Watchin T.V.

Options
  • 15-02-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

BACKGROUND
    28 Male 5 Foot 10, I havent ran in 3 years and I started this year hitting the scales at 16 stone on the button and very unfit.

CURRENTLY DOING
    I started in the gym in the middle of jan, doing some treadmill work for a week, then i started doing the couch to 5k, i spent 3 weeks doing that when one sunday i was bored went on a 3 mile run and completed that in 31 minutes. I was delighted with that then i went back doing the couch to 5k. Last Saturday myself and one of my friends went on a 3 mile run and done it in 29:18 minutes. So i have decided to do one of the Hal Higdon 10k plans. Thats brought me up to today where i went for a 2 mile run in 18 minutes then hit the gym for some weights.

I have lost 18 pound this year so hopefully with the training weights an healthy eating i will get down to a healthy weight for running

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Good running and congratulations on shedding the pounds. Keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

thats a savage weight loss, well done. Best of luck with the 10km race. Any planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

fair play, 18lbs is some weightloss already. good going on the running. at some stage the weight loss will plateau, but dont worry your body shape will change and thats what counts. best of luck to you. slow and steady gains

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Hey,

Well done on the weight loss and getting going with the running. Best of luck with the log. It's great to be able to track your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

thats a savage weight loss, well done. Best of luck with the 10km race. Any planned?

Thanks i am planning to do a 10k in on paddys day in Tubbercurry in sligo just to see where i am over that distance and to prepare myself for great run ireland also there the carny lissadell 10k at the start of april i want to do aswell.
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    fair play, 18lbs is some weightloss already. good going on the running. at some stage the weight loss will plateau, but dont worry your body shape will change and thats what counts. best of luck to you. slow and steady gains

Yeah the weight loss is going good im in no hurry to lose the weight which i have been before and that resulted in me putting all the weight back on in no time and more. If i am down to 12 or 13 stone by the end of the year then i will be delighted.

TODAY
    I did 5k today in 28.54, felt very strong at the end so happy with the progress so far

• Advertisement

I did 3.6 miles today

Today was a tough day and i dont mean the run, it was whislt i was at work i was getting tired, wasnt looking forward to running but knowing that if i didnt do it i would feel a whole lot worse and might slip into my old routine where i would say it wouldnt matter and as the weeks pass by i would miss more and more until i stopped, so i decided to do my run and did 3.3 miles in 31 mins. Dont know what it was because i normally am looking forward to it. Maybe its just work getting to me and making me feel more tired than i am.
    But did it and can chill-lax tonight.

Didnt do anything yesterday, had no time to get to the gym.

I went out today for a four mile run, but ended up doing 6.9 mile in 78mins including .9 of a warm up, some stretching. I have a 2 mile circuit mapped out, i would run it once turn and do it again but whatever i was thinking about today i did the circuit 3 times ooooppps. Nearly died when i looked at my garmin, But glad i did it now, just going to take it easy tommorrow

3.3 miles around union woods today its very hilly, did it in 29 mins nice run great day for one

today was a nice easy run 3.5 miles avoiding the rag week students of sligo in 35 mins

• Advertisement

Today was my first track session i did 8 x 400meters lap times where as follows:

LAP 1: 1.48
    LAP 2: 1.59
    LAP 3: 2.01
    LAP 4: 1.57
    LAP 5: 1.54
    LAP 6: 1.58
    LAP 7: 2.12
    LAP 8: 2.06

I got tired near the end. But i was happy with the overall session going down the last 100 there was an very strong headwind which died towards the end of the session.

I was in work today and i was reflecting on what races i want to do this year the bupa run and the warriors run, i was starting to get worried about both runs thinking things like if i dont beat an hour for the bupa run i would have wasted my time or i didnt train hard enough for the warriors i wont finish it, things like that.

Today was my rest day so i wasnt at the gym, but i decided that the taughts i was having today is down to inexperience, so i decided to set goals for the rest of the year, i am going to be doing alot of short distance races and trying to better my time in each so by the time the ones i want to do well in i will have some experience in races and not be worry to much.

RACES I WANT TO COMPLETE 2010

ST PATRICKS DAY 10K TUBBERCURRY
    CARRICK-ON-SHANNON 10K 21 MAR
    CARNEY-LISSADDEL APRIL 5TH 10K
    BUPA RUN APRIL 18TH 10K
    THIS THE RACE I WANT TO BEAT AN HOUR IN AND WALK AWAY ABLE TO TALK UNLIKE THE LAST TIME I DID IT
    ENNISCORTHY STRAWBERRY HALF MARATHON 27 JUN
    IRISH RUNNER 5 MILER 17 JULY
    FRANK DUFFY 10 MILER 21 AUG
    PENDING IF I THINK I WILL RECOVER FOR THE WARRIORS RUN 7 DAYS LATER
    THE WARRIORS RUN 28 AUG
    DUBLIN HALF MARATHON 18 SEP
    ADIDAS DUBLIN MARATHON 25 OCT ONLY IF ALL THE REST OF THE RACES UP UNTIL THE HALF MARATHION GO WELL NO INJURYS AND THE LIKE.

Thats it if i get all that done i will be one fit boy :D

I was getting dizzy spells yesterday which i tried to ignore, but last night they got worse so i had to go to doc today and he said i have viral problem in my inner ear, so no running for a week bumber

so tomorrow i am going to go for a run first time in a week or so, hopefully i wont have lost too much of my fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

best of luck with the running.fair play too you for losing all the weight and improving your times and distances.a week off is a good thing.had two weeks off myself and when i came back i felt a lot fresher so i'd say you will be flying tomorrow.

thanks man it took me a while to get into training at the start of the year now i miss the training. Stupid virus

RACES I WANT TO COMPLETE 2010 and Times hopefully
    GOALS
    ST PATRICKS DAY 10K TUBBERCURRY SUB 55
    CARRICK-ON-SHANNON 10K 21 MAR BEATPB
    CARNEY-LISSADDEL APRIL 5TH 10K BEAT PB
    BUPA RUN APRIL 18TH 10K
    BEAT PB
    ENNISCORTHY STRAWBERRY
    HALF MARATHON 27 JUN
    SUB 120
    IRISH RUNNER 5 MILER 17 JULY SUB 40
    SUB 90
    THE WARRIORS RUN 28 AUG SUB 80
    DUBLIN HALF MARATHON 18 SEP BEAT PB
    ADIDAS DUBLIN MARATHON 25 OCT SUB 4 HRS 15 MIN

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ Similar goals to me timewise, good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    RACES I WANT TO COMPLETE 2010 and Times hopefully
    GOALS
    BUPA RUN APRIL 18TH 10K
    BEAT PB
    ENNISCORTHY STRAWBERRY
    HALF MARATHON 27 JUN
    SUB 120
    SUB 90

Jee's mate don't mean to be a spoil sport, but who is pushing you on these runs. Are you getting any professional help or coaching, just it seems to me as it is becoming a bit of a must-do job.

You need to take a look at yourself, I'm not a runner myself and never was since yonk's, but you could be dooing yourself harm. Lets know if your being tutored or if your diet is right for what your doing. Keep in touch, I'll check in again. ps there's other ways of loosing weight!

Jee's mate don't mean to be a spoil sport, but who is pushing you on these runs. Are you getting any professional help or coaching, just it seems to me as it is becoming a bit of a must-do job.

You need to take a look at yourself, I'm not a runner myself and never was since yonk's, but you could be dooing yourself harm. Lets know if your being tutored or if your diet is right for what your doing. Keep in touch, I'll check in again. ps there's other ways of loosing weight!

I am pushing myself thats all i need i am gettin advice from other boardsies reading their threads, searching for answers i need on the forum before asking myself its amazing how much knowledge there is on here, the weight is a secondary goal now because i know with proper training and diet the weight will fall off eventually not too bothered about it, i am eating 5-6 times aday so i am not starving myself just keeping the fire burning

As for my goals i am very confident that come april 18th i will beat at least 55 min for the 10 k as i am already running 58 mins for it without pushing myself. I know looking at my goals it might look like that i am tryin to beat my pb in every race but when i lose weight and get more long runs under my belt and just get fitter i will achieve my goals.

I have 10 races this year which i think is alot aswell but the reason i am entering a lot of races is for race experience for the warriors my main goal for this year. I wont crumble and have a breakdown if i dont beat my pbs in every race which i dont think i will but it gives me focus and will help with my training. At the end of the year if i have get a pb in the dublin half the bupa run 10k and finish the warriors beating 80 mins and finishing the DCM aswell as losing 3 stone then i will be more than delighted with my years work. If not then i will learn from my experince and do it next year.

The only person stopping you from acheiving your goals is you

• Advertisement

^ Similar goals to me timewise, good luck :)

If i hit my goals i ll see ya at the finish line:D

for the first time in a week and 3 days i went out for a 5k run 28 mins felt great. I taught it would be a lot tougher and take longer but shows what i know :D:D

Today i just did 1.86 miles just to test the water felt great after, Finally i can go back running i was following hal higdon 10k plan which would have brought me up to the race but 2 weeks behind now so not sure what i will do. Does anyone have any suggestions? should i just start where i left off or just start doing something else?

Back today for good, i had a horrible run today in the phoenix park i went off to quick and suffered towards the end i did 4.3 mile in 43 mins, i paid for going off too quick. Tommorrow will be better

UPDATE ON RACES I WANT TO COMPLETE 2010 and Times hopefully
    GOALS
    could not do these due to illness hopefully i will be able to do the carney 10k and beat 55 min
    BUPA RUN APRIL 18TH 10K
    BEAT PB
    ENNISCORTHY STRAWBERRY
    HALF MARATHON 27 JUN
    SUB 120
    SUB 90

[/QUOTE]

Such crap weather we are having i was reduced to running on a treadmill in the gym. Today was my first day back after a month of sickness, i did 2 miles on the treadmill at 7.5 and then 20 mins on a bike. some weights then home. my training plan for the 10k is way off schedule so just going to run it and see what time i post 55 mins should be achieved. i am going to do up a new plan for the half marathon at the end of june.

i went for a four mile run today and felt good, its been over a month that i ran 2 days in a row.So i was surprised that i was able to go the four and feel strong after it. I did it in 37 mins keepin my heart rate between 150-160. i was reading a menoscemo's log on here last night and he kept refering to his heart rate, so that gave me the idea to keep my heart rate in the 150's . I left the garmin on the hr screen and went for an easy jog. I think i found it easier to run like that, i wasnt looking down at my wrist every couple of mins just the odd glance to see my heart rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Do I really talk about my HR that much? :D
    I personally find a Hr between 145-155 to be optimal for 'easy' runs. I would get up to around 170 on speed intervals aand 175-180 in short races (i.e. pushing it to the limit) But this really depends on you. What is your max HR? what is your resting HR? Don't use the old formula of 220-age= max HR, many people on here prove that to be wildly untrue. There are people on here of similar age whose Max Hr varies from 170- 210 when by the 220- age formula they should be the same. Obviuosly for someone with a max HR of 210, a 155 HR is goin pretty easy but for someone whose max is 170 it is really tough going!!

Anyway this is a page I used for calculating the HR I should have on different kinds of runs: you need to figure out your max Hr and Resting HR (this one is easy- testit first thing in the morning before getting out of bed- do it 2 or 3 times and take the lowest one).
    http://www.radix.net/~bobg/run/hr.html

menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't use the old formula of 220-age= max HR, many people on here prove that to be wildly untrue.

This is what i used, i know it is not very reliable and every one is different but i used it as a genral term i found it easy to run at that hr. I will have a read of that article. Cheers for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    This is what i used, i know it is not very reliable and every one is different but i used it as a genral term i found it easy to run at that hr. I will have a read of that article. Cheers for that.

Now that you have your Garmin, you will soon work it out. The next time you do a shortish race (5-10k) you should reach close to your max HR in the sprint for the line (assuming you have pushed yourself to the max). The alternative is sprnitng up hill until you puke, but I didn't fancy that myself :D

Advertisement