Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its Better Than Watchin T.V.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

menoscemo wrote: »
    . The alternative is sprnitng up hill until you puke, but I didn't fancy that myself :D

HMMM interesting think i will give that a miss

This is the run i did today http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28595795 it was the biggest climb i did to date enjoyed it first time i did the run so looking forward to doin it again

Today i was in the gym at my first spinnning class tough as hell but enjoyable after i stopped. Weather is cat today so wont be going for a run this evening

today i woke up with a pain above my right hip,it wasnt sore to touch just annoying. I cant look right or left without moving my whole body in the direction i want to look. My neck is seized, it was interesting when running across roads there was alot of sideways running. The distance today was 4 miles which i did without my garmin. it was great not having to look down to see what my pace was. finished it round 38,40 mins. The pain in my hip is gone now weird that it was there when i was running.

Today i did 4 miles on a hilly course in 36 mins. I have been running alot on courses with big hills so i might from next week do a route which consits of some smaller hills take it easy on the big hills give the legs a rest. Hopefully i will go for a swim tomorrow all going well.

• Advertisement

This was my run today https://connect.garmin.com/activity/29468471. It was such a good day i said why not 10k. i struggled near the end the hills nearly killed me but as they say what doesnt kill you only makes you stronger. thats what they say anyways

What a month it has been so far. I taught i was making progress but after been sick for most of march i went out like a bat out of hell in my training and now am injured, i havent done a tap this week since my last 10 k and it does not look like i will be doing the 10k run in dublin on sunday unless my shin splints disappear and then it will only be a lesurly spin around the park. :mad: i am really disappointed but i guess i was over eager and didnt listen to my body i was just doing too much.

When i get over my injury i am going back to the gym and doing bike and crosstrainer work until i lose some more weight been 14 stone doesnt help the training abit.

I started off the year trying to lose some weight and getting into running. i spent a couple off weeks in the gym, whislt my body got used to excersise again. At the end of jan start of feb out of sheer bordom on the threadmill i went for a run on the road and never stepped on a threadmill again.

Everything was going according to plan when out of no where i couldnt walk straight without the room spinning, off to the doc and after tests was diagnosied with vertigo. few weeks of march doing nothing waiting for it to pass went back to running in april as if i never took a break from running:eek: big mistake, very quickly i got injured which i tried to ignore and really messed up when i went for a 10k and did big damage between shin splints and a sore hip i was in bits and off again so out of 4 months of training i only trained for a little over 2 on and off. So back to the start again and going to be taking it easy with the warriors run in august as my target.

WHAT HAVE I LEARNED.
    Out of this experince i have learned to listen to my body and when to take a break not to go gun ho at every training session and that recovery is very much needed. Below is what i intended to do this year which in hindsight was abit ridiculous so i am just going to do the warriors and the half in dublin

GOALS
    ST PATRICKS DAY 10K TUBBERCURRY SUB 55
    CARRICK-ON-SHANNON 10K 21 MAR BEATPB
    CARNEY-LISSADDEL APRIL 5TH 10K BEAT PB
    BUPA RUN APRIL 18TH 10K BEAT PBENNISCORTHY STRAWBERRY
    HALF MARATHON 27 JUN
    SUB 120
    IRISH RUNNER 5 MILER 17 JULY SUB 40
    FRANK DUFFY 10 MILER 21 AUG
    SUB 90

THE WARRIORS RUN 28 AUG SUB 80
    DUBLIN HALF MARATHON 18 SEP BEAT PB
    ADIDAS DUBLIN MARATHON 25 OCT SUB 4 HRS 15 MIN

im am injury free and was back in the gym today. Just did 10 min warm up on the rower, 20 mins on the bike and crosstrainer another mins on the rower stretched and away home.

in the gym today, i did 2000m row for a warm up followed by a good stretch then 25 mins on a bike and 25 on a crosstrainer then 1000m warm down then a stretch.

I am going to keep this up for another week or so before i go out running on the grass

WOW my last post on this thread was over a month ago,what have i been doing? I was in the gym for may and just started back last week out on the road running 3 times a week now, so i will have time to recover and hopefully not get injured. Work has started to do the bike to work scheme so i am going to do that and on the days when i am not running i can cycle.

Last week went like this MON 6.6 MILES in 1HR 6 MINS WED 2 Fast miles in16:57 MIN FRI 4 MILES 36 mins

Today i did 5.25 miles in 52.04 mins. I'm not following any plans at the min i am just getting some miles back into my legs and help lose some weight before i start doing any speed work

• Advertisement

Another week behind me and another week closer to the warriors run.

On monday i ran to the glenroad carpark and back to strandhill that was 5.25 miles in 52.04 minsi was very happy with this run and will be doing it once a week until the warriors run.

On wednesday i ran i did 10k in the racecourse in 55.20 mins i bet my previous 10k best without even trying so i was delighted with that.

On friday i went for a 12.2 mile run taking it easy i never ran that far and i did it just to see could i ran at a nice easy pace the whole run took me 2hrs 11mins 13 secs. i ran 10 mile of it fairly comfortable but from mile 11 onwards i dont think i ran 50 foot without stopping, i was wrecked, stupidly i didnt bring a drink with me which i wont do again. i think if i had brought a drink i would have been able to do the full 12 miles without stopping.

TAUGHTS ON THE WEEK
    All in all i am very happy with my weeks running i can do 10k now no problem which was one of my goals and at the start of year. i am not very fast when i run due to doing no speedwork. I will start next week running for 10-20 secs faster than normal through out one of my runs prob be the 10k and build this up over the next few week.

Yeasterday i ran for 3 miles, slightly faster than i would run normally. After a few hundred yards i got a pain in my right shin down the left side, so i eased up on the pace and it went away after a few mins but i picked up the pace it sarted to hurt again, i dunno what it is must be something to do with my form, i will have to look into it. apart from that i am happy with the run.
    to see about my form Might go here.
    Has anyone been there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Yeasterday i ran for 3 miles, slightly faster than i would run normally. After a few hundred yards i got a pain in my right shin down the left side, so i eased up on the pace and it went away after a few mins but i picked up the pace it sarted to hurt again, i dunno what it is must be something to do with my form, i will have to look into it. apart from that i am happy with the run.
    to see about my form Might go here.
    Has anyone been there yet?

Never heard about them, interesting. What do you hope to get out of it if you go along to it?

ronanmac wrote: »
    Never heard about them, interesting. What do you hope to get out of it if you go along to it?

Hope with there help i can run injury free and have proper form

Hope with there help i can run injury free and have proper form

I did Catherina McKiernan's chirunning workshop two weekends ago and can vouch for any course that shows proper running form. I don't think I've landed on my heels since, and that's saying something for a serious heel-slapper!

ronanmac wrote: »
    I did Catherina McKiernan's chirunning workshop two weekends ago and can vouch for any course that shows proper running form. I don't think I've landed on my heels since, and that's saying something for a serious heel-slapper!

I am out injured at the min with shinsplints due to me being flatfooted. Would you recommened that course?

I am out injured at the min with shinsplints due to me being flatfooted. Would you recommened that course?

I definitely would. I'm still getting used to the technique but even after only a week, when I compare my new technique to how I used to run, I'm a bit shocked at the difference between the two. No heel slapping, and no head looking at the tarmac. I'm guessing that my running is a bit faster also, but not sure about that one yet. If you're based in the west, I think she's organising another workshop in Galway in September, but is running other courses around the country, details on www.catherinamckiernan.com. She's very good at what she does, sticks with you until you get it right, and it's a privilege, of course, to be tutored by one of Ireland's greatest athletes!

Time i got back to writing this log. I have been injured alot with shin splints but i got a new pair of runners and doing alot of stretches for my legs during the day which keeps my calf's and hamstrings not as tight which i think has helpt me with keeping me injury free.

My Runs Since My Last Post
    28 JUN 10

This was a 4.83km run did that in 32.22. Happy enough my first run back with no sign of injury.

30 JUN 10

This was a 4.83 km run at a faster pace did it in 26.03

01 JUL 10

This was an easy 4.86 km did that in 25.39

02 JUL 10

another easy pace run 4.83km in 27.59

05 JUL 10

This was 8.05 km run i had to stop a couple of times due to dogs on the loose. i was a bit pissed off at there owners dogs are supposed to be on a leash when out in public espically german sheep dogs. Idiots!!!
    But i did the run in 45.24

07 JUL 10

This was 11.27 km run my longest yet and i felt every bit of it towards the end it was a very hilly run but did it in 62.34. Aswell i injured myself again with shin splints and took off the next week and a half off.

23 JUL 10

Got gait analysis done letterkenny and bought a new pair of runners.

24 JUL 10

First run in a week and a half and i did an easy 8.53km run in 50 mins. Delighted taught it would be much worse. AND NO SIGN OF SHIN SPLINTS

26 JUL 10

5 KM RUN IN 25.26

28 JUL 10

12.62 KM IN 68.55

30 JUL 10

8.17 km in 47.22 i ran up to the glen road carpark which is the turnoff for the warriors run and ran back into strandhill very hilly and very tough i had to walk a couple of times hills killed me

Today i did the road part of the warriors run which is just over seven mile. I was Hoping to do it in 70 mins but i did it in 65 mins which i am delighted with. It got tougher the longer it went on but with four weeks of training left i am hopefull i can bring that down to 60 mins

I did the road section of the warriors run, 7 mile give or take i enjoyed it i must say i took a bottle of water with me and that made the difference. 64 mins i ran it

• Advertisement

As above but did it in 63min i brought a bottle of lucozade sport with me this time. I will stick to water

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

Sounds like the training is going well, are you going to do a dry run of the course before the big day??

MooShop wrote: »
    Sounds like the training is going well, are you going to do a dry run of the course before the big day??

Yeah the training is going well (better than me updating this blog) i have been doing the road section for my last few runs getting faster each time. I did the old course today but wasnt really happy the rain was something else made it alot tougher to run up it. i did it in 1.32 today but on a dry day i would do it alot faster.

I am hoping to do the run in 1.20 i think i can do this if i really push myself. The plan is to get to the turnoff to the glen road in 17 mins doing from there i am hoping to get to knocknarea carpark in half an hour. Which will leave me 33 mins to do the last section i did it in 30 mins today so quite confident in doing providing everything goes allright on the day. If i dont do it in 1.20 i will still be happy with 1.25.

Considering i could barley walk a mile in janaury, i am quite happy with my progress especially having missed over 3 months due to illness and injury

So i did the warriors run in 1.28, it was very tough the mountain chewed me up and spat me out. I taught i prepared well for it with all the running i was doing but i did not have enough hill work done. I will do loads for next year thats a promise.

This is the end of this log, i will over the next few months be working on my speed and distance enduance aswell as hill work.

Thanks to all that read and left feeback for me. Until next time

Advertisement