Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is life like after death?

Options
  • 15-02-2010 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

whats life after death suppose to be like? anybody ever had outer body experience or any mediums ever been told by the dead what its like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

looking forward to the answer of this question :rolleyes: i have become a long time reader but never posted

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Funny thing is, mediums have been told different things, because Ive seen one girl in a demo say the afterlife is like here, with houses, buses and everything... I think Doris Stokes said that too.

Others say different, that its right here, but in a dimension we cannot sense, or that its so different as to be impossible to describe.

No simple answers, then.

Its like Warm Apple Pie :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Its pretty much culture specific

Its like Warm Apple Pie :cool:
    Behave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

It's fine.... but there's a shortage of chairs.

Next idiotic post will earn an infraction, ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Dunno if this qualifies as "idiotic", but........ there is no life after death.

Dave! wrote: »
    Not quite idiotic, but dont add much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    looking forward to the answer of this question :rolleyes: i have become a long time reader but never posted

Personally im ok with waiting a long long time for the answer to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭liamwhite

Dave! wrote: »

Well for somebody that is so sure, why are you in the paranormal section?? :D i found a GREAT documentary on youtube that might change your mind, i tell you this much whatever doubts i had were wiped away after viewing this.... ill post it now.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=life+afterlife&search_type=&aq=f

The documentary is in 9 parts but is well worth the watch, i found it mind blowing. Tell me what you's think :) you will have to watch one part at a time though, enjoy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

I've read books by Emmanuel Swedenborg who claimed to have visions of the afterlife. I'm a little skeptical about him because he claimed people lived on Jupiter... anyway he did have a nice idea in that we create our afterlife here in this life. The good souls all congregate together in a nice place and the people who were nasty are all stuck together in a nasty place.... So it's nothing to do with judgement, we condemn ourselves here in this life, or we create our own reward by our actions in this life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I think a more interesting question to ask is which religion is right or wrong?

Not that I have ever asked that of any mediums.... :o

faceman wrote: »

Which goes back to my point, everyone's view of the afterlife is culture specific.

faceman wrote: »

Not that I have ever asked that of any mediums.... :o
    Grimes is right in that it is culture specific, to a degree. Religion is part of your culture.

Ill answer that for ya... no religion is totally right on this one, I dont think we can understand it any more than we can grasp the concept of the size of the universe. :) Reminds me of the story of the blind men and the elephant:
    "A number of blind men came to an elephant. Somebody told them that it was an elephant. The blind men asked, ‘What is the elephant like?’ and they began to touch its body. One of them said: 'It is like a pillar.' This blind man had only touched its leg. Another man said, ‘The elephant is like a husking basket.’ This person had only touched its ears. Similarly, he who touched its trunk or its belly talked of it differently. In the same way, he who has seen the Lord in a particular way limits the Lord to that alone and thinks that He is nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I remember watching a documentary on Spiritualism in which they interviewed a man belonging to a spiritualist church.He said that,according to mediums attached to his local church,the afterlife was physically much the same as this one except with higher perception.
    Id be happy enough with a bawdy tavern.

I dont think I could through this again !

Grimes wrote: »
    I dont think I could through this again !

Lol, i could! Life is what you make it, 80% of the things we think make us happy is an illusion, the things that can make us truly happy and the things that truly matter are the simple things. I for one have to say i love life for what it is, its not easy but its one hell of an experience. I would do it for eternity if i could and i wouldnt change the way i am or who i am for a second :D Im not perfect i have my flaws and there are times when i feel like things are pure **** BUT all in all, to walk outside and inhale pure fresh air and watch as the world turns is a gift in itself!

i use to take life for granted, as if we were handed another one when things went wrong (dead) but what i have learned to realise is that even if there is something after this, it wont be this. We will never live again like we do now so enjoy living life now and then enjoy what comes next :)

Do i make any sence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think there is an afterlife, but trying to figure out what it's like is trying to explain to a baby in the womb what the world is like. Personally, I'm buying the "collective consciousness" thing myself. Imagine a balloon, which is inflated - this is us now. When you die, the balloon pops. Where does the air go? back to the universe. In the same way, our consciousness goes back to a greater, "meta" consciousness. Whether we'll be able to experience that the same way we experience the world, I doubt. But fingers crossed, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

tbh wrote: »
    I think there is an afterlife, but trying to figure out what it's like is trying to explain to a baby in the womb what the world is like. Personally, I'm buying the "collective consciousness" thing myself. Imagine a balloon, which is inflated - this is us now. When you die, the balloon pops. Where does the air go? back to the universe. In the same way, our consciousness goes back to a greater, "meta" consciousness. Whether we'll be able to experience that the same way we experience the world, I doubt. But fingers crossed, eh?

Very nicely said:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I think my self that we go on to be guardian angels and then go back to a new life all over again. A persons life is supposed to flash before them in the womb before their born.

malcox wrote: »
    I think my self that we go on to be guardian angels and then go back to a new life all over again. A persons life is supposed to flash before them in the womb before their born.

Yeah i remember thinking i was going to be in negative equity when i was in the womb.

Seriously what a load of BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Yeah i remember thinking i was going to be in negative equity when i was in the womb.

Seriously what a load of BS.

I was giving my opinion as its a forum. If you have a problem with my post you should report the post and not critisise me.

malcox wrote: »
    I was giving my opinion as its a forum. If you have a problem with my post you should report the post and not critisise me.

Your post was not offensive so not report worthy.

I was not trying to 'criticise' you but mearly giving my opinion that what you mentioned is in 'My opinion' BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

It's like an Bergman movie without the jokes.

Seriously, I've had a few near misses throughout my life and I'm more or less convinced that time slows down when you have no more need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

I was not trying to 'criticise' you but mearly giving my opinion that what you mentioned is in 'My opinion' BS.

It would have been better if you had said nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 marieq

im reading a book at the moment called going home BY COLM KEANE it is about irish peoples accounts of near death experiences it is a fasinating read

loldog wrote: »
    It would have been better if you had said nothing.

Thanks 'dog' and 'cox', your comments have been duly taken on board.

• Advertisement
Advertisement