Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Champion's League - what should it be called?

• 15-02-2010 10:59pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

There was some discussion (again) about the title of the CL being a misnomer, so what would you rather it was called?

I've included a number of suggestions. I've left out the option of changing the format back to the way it was, as given the CL is so awful I figure it's a cert that this option would win be a landslide. So if renaming was the only choice, let's see what would come up trumps.

Feel free to add your own.

// EDIT - it occurred to me the apostrophe in Champions should be after the S as they probably mean it as the league of the champions, plural. Apologies to anyone hurt by the inference.

The... 36 votes

Champion's League
    0% 0 votes
    Evil of Capitalism
    25% 9 votes
    Tournament that was all fields back in my day
    8% 3 votes
    English, Italian and Spanish Big Four's Dinner Party Circuit
    2% 1 vote
    Arsenal and Liverpool Gravy Train
    25% 9 votes
    European Superclub Championship
    11% 4 votes
    Barcelona Tongueing Society
    19% 7 votes
    UEFA Vehicle for Mocking the Destitute
    2% 1 vote
    Greatest Spectacle in Football
    5% 2 votes
    Inhumanity of it all
    0% 0 votes
    Other (Please specify)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭rednik

Although there already is an EPL I would call it the European Premier League as that is what it is now. No point in calling the Champions League anymore even though I've been to the last two finals. The Europa League is aptly named so why not change the Champions League or is it UEFA or the top clubs who do not want this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The European Super League Of Excellent, Very Good And Average Teams Who Like To Make Money And Play Each Other And Maybe Win It But Probably Not And Stuff.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The European Annual Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

rednik wrote: »
    No point in calling the Champions League anymore even though I've been to the last two finals.

This sentence makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The European Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

The UEFA's European Money Maker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The Cup with the big ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The Cup that Roman Couldn't Buy.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

JPA wrote: »
    The European Super League Of Excellent, Very Good And Average Teams Who Like To Make Money And Play Each Other And Maybe Win It But Probably Not And Stuff.

Ha try fit that into the Champions league anthem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The UEFA European Championship That Will Single-Handedly Ruin The Fun In Extra-Time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

joe123 wrote: »
    Ha try fit that into the Champions league anthem!

Try fitting 'Champions League' into the anthem. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

The Champions-Cup-With-Teams-That-Aren't-Actually-Champions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

The Cup That Makes Drinking On Tuesdays and Wednesdays Acceptable Of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

It needs firstly to have the word "European" in it, because that is the continent which it is representative of.

And it's a knock-out format for most of the rounds so to me the word "league" is misleading (it's not necessarily a correct belief, but I always imagine a round robin format when I think of leagues), and thus should be replaced with "cup".

Why the heck did they change the name from the European Cup in the first place? Just a rebranding (A.K.A. money) thing?

European Cup for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The Euro Elite. Think about it, it would be easily translated into spanish and french etc. and nothing would be hotter than seeing a big breasted spanish newsgirl say '....... Los Elitos del Europos.....'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The European Cup.

Yeah, that's what it was originally called, and that's what it should be renamed.

The Champions League is not a league; it is still, at the back of it all, a knockout cup competition.

Love CHD's suggestion too; cos it really is an excuse to get drinking on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and screaming your lungs up for your team. Great fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah the European Cup for me as well.

Funny fail with the voting options by the way. I'm starting to dispair for the poll format on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

rednik wrote: »
    No point in calling the Champions League anymore even though I've been to the last two finals.

What in the name of all that's holy has you being at the last two Champions League Finals got to do with the name of the competition?

I think we'll have to change the name of the Premier League and the League of Ireland too. After all, we've all been at games from both leagues..........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭rednik

What in the name of all that's holy has you being at the last two Champions League Finals got to do with the name of the competition?

I think we'll have to change the name of the Premier League and the League of Ireland too. After all, we've all been at games from both leagues..........:)

Don't know why I put it in and don't remember either as Father Jack would say DRINK.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

European Cup would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The "I can't believe it's not full of Champions" League.

The hairy cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

The Liverpool Tankard. How many bottles of champagne can you pour it into it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The hairy cup

Drinking from it mandatory after winning the final.

Advertisement