Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fuel Treatments

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Treats 8 Full tanks of Fuel?

Interesting

Im usually very sceptical about these sort of things, but I have had a bad temp sensor in my car and it was making starts smokey. The sensor was replaced and I said to myself Id just get the STP stuff for the craic to clean the bits and bobs in the engine.

I was fully expecting for nothing to happen because I think its a fad but oddly I have gotten 50 extra miles on half a tank then I did last week . . .
    I got 517 miles from full to the yellow light coming on last time. At the moment Im aiming more towards 600.
    Hmmmm. I know its down to how and where I was driving but its still odd :p

Personally I think its a fad and they play on people noticing better performance and MPG just by chance.

I know I bought the stuff and I deserve nothing to happen since I think its fake. I dunno why I bought it really, a moment of weakness :p

Redex was commonly used in the trade years back when cars had carbs, few millilitres into the intake and loads of muck out the exhaust. The diesel stuff you linked to defo won't do any harm, for best results it would be used with a heavy right foot. Probably cheaper to buy in a local factors too to be honest. Millers make a diesel treatment that is meant to be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have to use something on my mother's car occasionally -small diesel (no DPF) that doesn't get driven properly - lots of extremely short runs and the woman doesn't understand gearing at all at all. And has a nasty habit of only using Tesco fuel...

Definitely clears a lot of gack out of the engine, car actually drives like a bag of hammers after a few months of her destruction, sorry, driving and like normal after being treated. Never paid any attention to fuel economy before/after though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

Never used the stuff too be honest,

Anyone have any bad experiences with this type of stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Well while cleaning out the injectors and burning off all that crud is good in theory when it goes through cat and coats it that maybe another story...

• Advertisement

that sounds dodge

There is nothing "dodge" about fuel treatments, they don't do any harm at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

An OP mentioned Millers - Great stuff for diesel engines. Use at double strength for a boost. Really makes a difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Well, I got 45 or so MPG with a bad temp sensor.
    48 mpg with a new one and I have just done 320 miles or so with the STP diesel treatment, just filled up and Im still on 48.

I confused because I was consistently getting 57 in the Summer time. Must be the cold. I was told it would effect it, but I didnt think by that much.

It would seem it has no effect but I did use the same stuff when I bought the car in the summer so maybe its still clean :p

Anyway, my calculations. . . or should I say hopes in my last post here seem to have been a bit off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Yes, treatments are excellent and once you're dealing with good brands, they definitely do no harm and clean out the injectors plus more.

The injectors in modern common rails are extremely sensitive to crap and bad fuel. Also, not just tesco, but many stations are selling a less lubricated city diesel.
    I use Bardahl's treatment (great stuff, but pricey) and also, from time to time, Redex that I get in Tesco (good value but check the treatment ratios to make sure as I think the one on Micksgarage is definitely a strong treatment and therefore potentially good value, if the ratios are accurately posted). The redex I use from Tescos treats 2 tanks.

I have noticed that the cabin heaters respond quicker since I started using a few doses of redex. Part of the reason behind this may be that the car is reaching operating temperature more satisfactorily? The smoothness in tickover and in acceleration has to be felt to be believed. Ideally, if your car is feeling very poorly, the injectors should take the Bardahl dose directly and drink deeply........

The guys on Honestjohn.co.uk's forums swear by Millars btw.

The traditional farmer 'dose' was a shot of petrol into the diesel tank and that would be closer to the fuel treatment approach than doing nowt.....

• Advertisement

That clears that one so haha...

cheers folks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

whats the best one to reduce smoke for a long period of time in a diesel

whats the best one to reduce smoke for a long period of time in a diesel

Has your fuel filter been changed lately? A old trick for reducing a smokey diesel is a drop of petrol in the tank but wont last long. What colour smoke is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

zziplex wrote: »
    Has your fuel filter been changed lately? A old trick for reducing a smokey diesel is a drop of petrol in the tank but wont last long. What colour smoke is it?

black smoke. ya did it about 6000 miles ago. will do it again in another 6000 miles.

Advertisement