Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microchipping a dog - how much?

Options
  • 15-02-2010 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

My border collie cross is going for a dental scale and clean at week's end and thought it might be an idea to get her chipped. How much does this normally cost and is it relatively painless for the poor thing? (she has to be knocked out anyway for the dental cleaning :()

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

tommy21 wrote: »
    My border collie cross is going for a dental scale and clean at week's end and thought it might be an idea to get her chipped. How much does this normally cost and is it relatively painless for the poor thing? (she has to be knocked out anyway for the dental cleaning :()

what are the advantages of getting her chipped. heard it can lead to premature wear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

what are the advantages of getting her chipped. heard it can lead to premature wear?

What do you mean "wear"?!

Advantages are if she is lost/stolen and brought to a vet they can check the database and find the owner.

edit: sorry I should have said microchipped not chipped as in tooth!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Not sure on cost, but great idea to get it done while she's under getting her teeth cleaned, because she won't even realise it's happened once it's done - she'll feel nothing from the chipping when she wakes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

+1 on getting chipping done anyway, and definitely better whilst she's knocked out. They won't feel it then.
    Depends could be round the 30-50 euro mark, I honestly can't remember. Also depends on some vets regarding prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Yes and please make sure you or the vet will register the chip! Many dogs turn up chipped but the chip is not registered so the dog and the owner can't be re-united!

• Advertisement

Thanks all I'll let you know price on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It generally doesn't hurt either way - it's like a small injection for the dog - so it can be done without have to knock the dog out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Mine were both chipped when I got them, just had to re-reg in my name.
    But I asked my vet about the chipping costs as a friend had asked me, he said about €30. depends on if its done with vacs, neutering or something, then he combines costs and knocks a bit off.

All went fine, €30 for mine. thanks for responses all!

Advertisement