Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with Zyxel Router or connection (Eircom)

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

It seems like I'm the minority here, but I am going to vouch for this router, it has an insane amount of features (wds, ddns, telnet, etc) that even some top end routers don't have, the router itself never gave me problems and worked a charm the 2 years I used it. Zyxel is a great company that does something a lot of hardware companies can't, they produce extremely good firmware for their products. Even though I have moved on to a new router, this one is the one I always recommend to people who are on a budget, and I might even come back to Zyxel in the future.

the zyxel is fine for basic distribution of wifi.
    but
    it was a disaster for me trying to use the router to do anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Also had the disconnecting issue (every 30mins or so) with my Zyxel router.

Got one of these on amazon with free shipping.

Haven't been disconnected yet. Great router that lives up to the great reviews.

The Zyxel really is a piece of junk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

How do I set up a static ip address with this router?

Pangea wrote: »
    How do I set up a static ip address with this router?

connect the device using automatic settings (dynamic ip) it will do this by default..
    then get the ip address that has been assigned goto the ip settings on the device change it to manual and type in the settings that were previously assigned..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Terrable modem have the same problems as everyone else, my reliable Netgear Router stopped working and had to fall back to this and ive nothing but problems with it.

Cant even update to the official suppliers firmware what a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

I've noticed that when I restart the zyxel. The time settings reset to 1/1/2009.
    I then have to manually set the time. NTP seems not to be working.

Anyone else have this issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

ainiseoir wrote: »
    I've been wading through 20 pages of horror stories about this modem/router.
    I am due to get one shortly, upgrade.
    I can't say I'm looking forward to it.
    No setup instructions for Mac included, I understand, not that people on Windows seem to have fared too well.
    Moderators seem to be avoiding this topic.

I'm having same problems for a while, its unbelievable that Eircom keeps on shipping same crap modems to-day, they must be stuck with a containterful of them in stock! But it just damages their own reputation, I just cannot understand why there is no solution offered by Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

awful, awful, awful.

Started getting Frequent disconnects on an old huawei router I had that just worked for years through 3 different ISPs, eircom sent out a new superduper zyxel P-660HN-T1A on the promise that it will help you reach all those spots in the house that have low signal and will be able to cater for an increase from 7mb to 24mb.

Now the disconnects have got worse and have 2 rooms in the house that have wifi and the 2 iphones in the house wont autoconnect to the router. So if I walk upstairs, wifi drops off, walk back downstairs, have to manually connect. grrrrr.

Logged a fault with them, firstly they mailed me an update to the firmware, like others above I had tried the link on the zyxel router product homepage to most recent update but the router wouldnt apply it. It did apply the update from eircom but wifi dead spots are still there.

Drop offs still occurring so they dropped the speed of the line from 24 down to 17, still getting drop offs so they dropped it down to 9mb and since doing that 3 nights ago Ive only had a couple of drop offs instead of several per hour.

To be fair to the support staff, despite what I think is 3-4 hours this week alone, I find them knowledgable and nice to deal with, but either the line has a problem or this router has one. Am waiting on a fault guy to come out.

Still have dead spots and phones wont autoconnect.

awful, awful, awful.

Started getting Frequent disconnects on an old huawei router I had that just worked for years through 3 different ISPs, eircom sent out a new superduper zyxel P-660HN-T1A on the promise that it will help you reach all those spots in the house that have low signal and will be able to cater for an increase from 7mb to 24mb.

Now the disconnects have got worse and have 2 rooms in the house that have wifi and the 2 iphones in the house wont autoconnect to the router. So if I walk upstairs, wifi drops off, walk back downstairs, have to manually connect. grrrrr.

Logged a fault with them, firstly they mailed me an update to the firmware, like others above I had tried the link on the zyxel router product homepage to most recent update but the router wouldnt apply it. It did apply the update from eircom but wifi dead spots are still there.

Drop offs still occurring so they dropped the speed of the line from 24 down to 17, still getting drop offs so they dropped it down to 9mb and since doing that 3 nights ago Ive only had a couple of drop offs instead of several per hour.

To be fair to the support staff, despite what I think is 3-4 hours this week alone, I find them knowledgable and nice to deal with, but either the line has a problem or this router has one. Am waiting on a fault guy to come out.

Still have dead spots and phones wont autoconnect.

update on this. got eircom to reduce the speed of the line all the way down to 7mb and the disconnects have stopped. the line jsut cant seem to handle the higher speeds without disconnecting. and thats on the newer adsl2 switch that eircom said could handle up to 24mb.

I fixed the autoconnect issue for the iphone, go to iphone network settings, turn off the wifi, then turn it back on, when yhou see your router,dont add it, go to "other", manually type SSID and add it making sure to specify the security setting of WEP or WPA2 or whatever your router is set to, then enter password. It seems the security setting was the issue there.

Ive still dead wifi spots in the house so Im going with the fact the router is just really really crap.

update on this. got eircom to reduce the speed of the line all the way down to 7mb and the disconnects have stopped. the line jsut cant seem to handle the higher speeds without disconnecting. and thats on the newer adsl2 switch that eircom said could handle up to 24mb.

the same thing happened my parents. ended up back on 8mb.

• Advertisement

Further update. On the wifi issues in the house where the wifi signal is dropping off in some of the rooms. I had a linksys wrt54g sitting in a box somewhere, must be 11-12 years old.

I followed instructions here
    http://lifehacker.com/178132/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router?tag=softwarerouter

and got dd-wrt installed on it as firmware. took 5 minutes tops. Set the zyxel to bridge, another 5 minutes of config and a quick call to eircom support to get the username and password, and now Im connecting to my linksys.

Tested in the rooms where I was getting no wifi with the zyxel, signal was coming in but dropping down to 1 bar. Followed instructions on the above link and upped the transmission rate to 120 from 50, got up to 4 bars now in the same rooms.

If all you have in the house is the zyxel then youre out of luck on the dd-wrt firmware, as it doesnt seem to support it on its list of routers but I wouldnt flash the eircom one anyway.

BB speeds down to 2mb now. only way it can give me a continuous line.

fault report after fault report.
    "no, your line is clear, I cant see anything wrong with it, can you double check you dont have sky plugged in to it" :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Was planning in using one of these as a wifi access point only - anyone have any relevant experience ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Gahhhh where's the post about the seconds/minutes ya put in for the Timer-thingy.... I'm not goin' reading through 20 pages. I am back on a 3 Mi-Fi Modem and some nights, between midnight and 2am, the thing disconnects for half an hour up to an hour. It usually happens around the time-period of midnight - 2am.

What do I have to put in again that helped to work superbly-reduce the time-outs for Perlico and I will see if I notice any difference if my 3 MiFi continues dis-connecting......

Was it 4 zeros or was it 4 nines..... I'm not quite sure where I would get into where I need to go to try changing Timer Settings on a MiFi Device though. With the Perlico Box, ya could get into WLAN or WAN or whatever it's called and change the Timer and Re-authentication and all that, but I don't know how to get into that stuff on my MiFi Device. I did come across something on My3's Dashboard Settings, where it said it will disconnect after 600, but ya could only enter 60-600....

Sooooo if that 60 is like 1 hour, 600 would be 10 hours, aaand that would sound right, because I would have had it on since around 2pm today and it disconnected tonight (Mon. night) just after Midnight which is 10 hours later, so that could be it. (I did go off the Computer 3/4 times during the day, but, the Internet would likely have still been running for 10 hours straight from around 2pm till just after Midnight.)

I guess one way of bypassing it disconnecting on me would be to switch off the MiFi Device at some stage of the day and that would mean it wouldn't be running for 10 hours straight then? But it was disconnected for a while (an hour and twenty minutes tonight, other nights no more than a half-hour,) around Midnight, and then it re-connected itself, soooo I'd love to know, what kick-starts it to re-connect again after it dis-connects.....

There is something in My3's Dashboard where it says it will dis-connect after an idle-timer of 600..... I tried putting in 0000 but it says only numbers 6 - 600 can be entered..... I don't know where in Settings the other Timer is though..... That might be the one I need to change......

In Perlico there was 2 Timers I think..... Wasn't there re-auth and max idle timeout/timer...... Anyone that helped on the Perlico idle-timeout issue got any ideas what I could enter between 60 and 600 that might de-activate my 3MiFi Modem timing-out.......

I might look for the previous posts on the matter this evening and see......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Gahhhh where's the post about the seconds/minutes ya put in for the Timer-thingy.... I'm not goin' reading through 20 pages. I am back on a 3 Mi-Fi Modem and some nights, between midnight and 2am, the thing disconnects for half an hour up to an hour. It usually happens around the time-period of midnight - 2am.

What do I have to put in again that helped to work superbly-reduce the time-outs for Perlico and I will see if I notice any difference if my 3 MiFi continues dis-connecting......

Was it 4 zeros or was it 4 nines..... I'm not quite sure where I would get into where I need to go to try changing Timer Settings on a MiFi Device though. With the Perlico Box, ya could get into WLAN or WAN or whatever it's called and change the Timer and Re-authentication and all that, but I don't know how to get into that stuff on my MiFi Device. I did come across something on My3's Dashboard Settings, where it said it will disconnect after 600, but ya could only enter 60-600....

Sooooo if that 60 is like 1 hour, 600 would be 10 hours, aaand that would sound right, because I would have had it on since around 2pm today and it disconnected tonight (Mon. night) just after Midnight which is 10 hours later, so that could be it. (I did go off the Computer 3/4 times during the day, but, the Internet would likely have still been running for 10 hours straight from around 2pm till just after Midnight.)

I guess one way of bypassing it disconnecting on me would be to switch off the MiFi Device at some stage of the day and that would mean it wouldn't be running for 10 hours straight then? But it was disconnected for a while (an hour and twenty minutes tonight, other nights no more than a half-hour,) around Midnight, and then it re-connected itself, soooo I'd love to know, what kick-starts it to re-connect again after it dis-connects.....

There is something in My3's Dashboard where it says it will dis-connect after an idle-timer of 600..... I tried putting in 0000 but it says only numbers 6 - 600 can be entered..... I don't know where in Settings the other Timer is though..... That might be the one I need to change......

In Perlico there was 2 Timers I think..... Wasn't there re-auth and max idle timeout/timer...... Anyone that helped on the Perlico idle-timeout issue got any ideas what I could enter between 60 and 600 that might de-activate my 3MiFi Modem timing-out.......

I might look for the previous posts on the matter this evening and see......

this thread is 2 years old dude

this thread is 2 years old dude

Still plenty of thise crappy pieces off kit out there.
    My advice.. Go and buy a good router and set up what ever modem you have to bridge modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

trev44 wrote: »
    Still plenty of thise crappy pieces off kit out there.
    My advice.. Go and buy a good router and set up what ever modem you have to bridge modem.

How does that work? Do you mean one being an extension of the other? Thanks

Advertisement