Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find the county the visitor is from

Options
  • 16-02-2010 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Is there anyway to find the county (such as Meath or Dublin) in which the user is visiting my site from based on their IP address? I know it's possible to find the country, but can you get the county in Ireland (if they are viewing from Ireland ofc)?

I'm using PHP btw, thanks for the help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The best you would be able to do is find which exchange their ISP terminates at, which can often be well away from their actual location, e.g. Eircom connections in Kerry can terminate in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

The best you would be able to do is find which exchange their ISP terminates at, which can often be well away from their actual location, e.g. Eircom connections in Kerry can terminate in Limerick.

I figured this could be the case, thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

If your site is providing localised services then you may be able to get the user to select their county.

Kind of like if you got a big multinational .com site they'll ask you to select their region.

I guess this would really only work if there was a need from the users point of view to tell the site where they were from.. You probably just want it for marketing/research reason, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

you could check if they have location services allowed - but I would guess that no one has!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

techguy wrote: »
    You probably just want it for marketing/research reason, yes?

Kinda, yeah. The site will have a list of services throughout Ireland, and we were thinking on having it so that that local services to the user will be given higher priority than services in other counties.

So for example, if your viewing from Kerry, it'll show services in Kerry ahead of services in Dublin, and vice versa.

However, we were thinking this sort of thing would be difficult to do in Ireland, I understand it's allot easier in the US.

• Advertisement
Advertisement