Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB GPS receiver stik

Options
  • 16-02-2010 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used one of these

80.jpg

Wanted to see if its easy to get tom tom or similar to interface with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I'm not sure what you mean to do but this device can tell you your location when it is plugged into a computer's USB drive. What you can do with that information will depend entirely on the software on the computer itself.

Most people would use it in conjunction with mapping software on a laptop while on the move. It is obviously not as portable as a hand-held device or a satnav but they may need the full versatility the laptop can provide.

I don't know anything about this model but you may need a USB extension cable if you were planning to use it in a vehicle.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I too do not see the benefit of getting a tom tom or similar device to interface with it.
    Unless I am missing something this is just a GPS reciever . A Tom Tom or similar device would have this built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Ah now, sure it's a great device when you're chasing a tornado!
    Handy to see where you are in relation to impending doom!

Also, in conjunction with a usb modem, it's very useful when going geocaching.

That's two obvious uses, I'm sure there's more :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

All of those are great uses, but why would you need to interface with an existing GPS device?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm puzzled too .. do you have a specific application in mind, or do you just think it'd be cool thing to have and don't know what to do with it, or maybe you've already bought it thinking it was something else and are now wondering what the hell to do with it?

Please enlighten us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Alun wrote: »
    .... you've already bought it thinking it was something else and are now wondering what the hell to do with it?

If thruth be told, I have a bucket load of stuff that'd fall into that category! :D

I have one of these usb gps things :o

I have found it useful when I go on holidays. I don't really need a Sat Nav, as I NEVER drive when on hols. I do bring my photography gear and laptop in a backpack, and the usb gps, which takes up a tiny amount of space compared to a Sat Nav & charger. I use it to "Locate" me, and then find what tourist attractions, museums, train stations etc, are close by. It's great for planning where I'm going to visit the next day.

I do know of one guy who uses it in his car! Not when he's actually driving! He's an insurance sales rep. and he has some sort of app. that can tell him what clients are near by, and then he can get there details of insurance policy, when he last called, when the policy is for renewal etc. He says it's great as he often calls a client to ask if they need anything, or would they like him to visit as "he's in the area".

Other than that, I haven't a clue what else it could be used for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

koolkid wrote: »
    I too do not see the benefit of getting a tom tom or similar device to interface with it.
    Unless I am missing something this is just a GPS reciever . A Tom Tom or similar device would have this built in.

Maybe he means Tomtom software or maps on a computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

mossie wrote: »

I did wonder about that, and it would be hard to say in advance if it would work with any particular software without details from the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

mossie wrote: »

Yes thats what I was planning on doing.

Stick tom tom software on a netbook, plug this yoke into a usb extension cable and fire it up on the dash, to use as a mobile gps. anyone done similar? is is easy to setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Yes thats what I was planning on doing.

Stick tom tom software on a netbook, plug this yoke into a usb extension cable and fire it up on the dash, to use as a mobile gps. anyone done similar? is is easy to setup.

Sounds like a pain in the arse. By the time you pay for the TT software, maps and this USB GPS, you'd have bought a nice neat TT device.

Then you have the hassle of having a laptop to use while driving, needing an inverter to power said laptop etc.

Come to think of it, I don't think TT even makes software for the PC.

Just imagine the hassle when driving around country roads when you want to fire up your navigation system and enter a location!

• Advertisement

Unless you were using it with some serious software for work purposes, it would be a lot of bother to go to.

Advertisement