Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Incident

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

LB6 wrote: »
    Aidric,

I'm writing as a parent of children who are now quite independent. I'd hate to read all this if it happened to my child. Maybe you don't have children. If you want to get a conclusion for this/if you want news - turn on the TV.

It's still only speculation. Stop adding fuel to a fire.

If you want to do something with some sentiment - start a thread for RIP's addressed the family and suggest nothing else should be posted in it. Much nicer than having to troll through all the HYPE in here to read them.
    Look, this is a community based forum for discussing matters that happen in Limerick. It's not for you to dictate what can and can't be discussed or what classifies as news. Nobody here is trolling. We have been discussing the tragic incident and trying to ascertain if anybody knows the latest developments with the story. The only 'hype' as you put it was when someone was discussing about safety railings, which as it happens is a valid point if indeed this transpires to have been an unfortunate incident.
    If you don't want to read the thread then nobody is forcing you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

It's not for you to dictate what can and can't be discussed or what classifies as news.

Who said I was dictating anything? no more than you were when you said

I would like it to be left open so the story can be followed through to its conclusion"

mine was merely a suggestion.

Honestly - you lot remind me of ambulance chasers!

I know nobody is forcing me to read the thread - just like you don't have to read or reply to my post

• Registered Users Posts: 9 astrababe

I was one of the on lookers last night and i felt so awful i found myself scanning the water all around me for anything that resembled a body but found my eyes playing tricks on me.
    I have to compliment the search and rescue team that was out there last night they had a tough job it being so dark and cold and all.
    My sincear thoughts go out to her friends and family whom shes left behind. wat a terrible tragedy to happen to anyone.
    RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

My only thoughts on this are that the railings are quite high, above your average person’s centre of gravity. As this was a girl, this would more than likely be the case. In such a scenario you cannot just ‘fall’ over a railing which is higher than your centre of gravity. Some assistance would be needed, i.e. sitting on the railing, leaning over the railing with one/both feet off the ground, walking along the railing etc etc

My point is that this was a tragic accident. But brushing it under the carpet with lots of ‘RIP’s’ won’t prevent this kind of thing from happening again. The circumstances should be discussed so that the next time some sober or drunk person decides to perform an act of sheer stupidity or bravado they may remember that someone died attempting the same thing.

Accidents to happen but in most there are lessons to be learned. The only way to learn these lessons is through discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 starmannow

Do not take this as gospel yet but I have heard from a very close friend of the girl that she was not a student at all. She was a young mother of 18 with two kids.

I am not saying the name out of respect. Such a terrible tragedy. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

astrababe wrote: »
    I was one of the on lookers last night and i felt so awful i found myself scanning the water all around me for anything that resembled a body but found my eyes playing tricks on me.
    I have to compliment the search and rescue team that was out there last night they had a tough job it being so dark and cold and all.
    My sincear thoughts go out to her friends and family whom shes left behind. wat a terrible tragedy to happen to anyone.
    RIP

3 of my friends are on the limerick search and rescue team, great bunch of lads and they do a tough job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Who said I was dictating anything? no more than you were when you said

When you come into a forum, posting in bold, and seperate colours, you are putting your oppinion in the forefront.
    mine was merely a suggestion.

Honestly - you lot remind me of ambulance chasers!

No need to be facetious.

I know nobody is forcing me to read the thread - just like you don't have to read or reply to my post

You are not meerly offering an oppinion.

You are asking the mods to close the thread!
    And then insulting all who disagree with you.

There is no "almbulance chasing" in here.

A lot of people are concerned, and upset, and if a public forum about Limerick is not a place to discuss tradgedies like this, and try and raise awareness so that it's less likely that something like this can happen again, then I don't know where is.

If the person involved was a loved one of mine, and everyone just ignored this and moved on as if nothing had happened, then I would be much more upset.

Ignoring this will just lead to another tradgedy down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

is there a particular point in the river where the tide gets so strong that once u hit that spot, thats it..no hope? Like if he was only 6 feet from her when she went under, why was he not able to go in after her?
    I am only asking cos i dont know ..?

It is not as simple as that. The flow of water there is very strong. Once the poor girl went under for the last time and stopped fighting the current, the distance between her and the fireman would grown immediately, and at a frightening rate.

The water movement on the surface, especially on a big river, does not always reflect the strength and speed of what is happening below the surface.

Also given that the area is tidal, there could have been an outgoing tide to fight as well.

Would not like to be that fireman now, as he most likely has been going over the "what ifs" in his head and wondering if he could have gotten there faster or done more. I hope he gets good support from his colleagues as I think firemen are a breed apart from most men and women. They put their lives on the line pretty much every time they get a call out, and by going into the river the other night, that fireman was willing to risk his own life to try and save another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

starmannow wrote: »
    Do not take this as gospel yet but I have heard from a very close friend of the girl that she was not a student at all. She was a young mother of 18 with two kids.

I am not saying the name out of respect. Such a terrible tragedy. :(
    That is true. I think it actually was a suicide, she was a troubled girl. i think I may know why she did it but don't think it would be appropriate to say publicly

Jigga wrote: »
    That is true. I think it actually was a suicide, she was a troubled girl. i think I may know why she did it but don't think it would be appropriate to say publicly

I really hate postes like this. If you know the story, tell us, otherwise the post is pointless and you may as well say 'I know but I ain't telling'. Posts like this scream self-importance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Then why even mention it.

I really hate postes like this. If you know the story, tell us, otherwise the post is pointless and you may as well say 'I know but I ain't telling'. Posts like this scream self-importance
    Would you calm down, a moderator would probably remove it. PM me if you want me to tell you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Rest in Peace.

I was browsing over on limerick blogger and someone said that another girl jumped into the Shannon yesterday:

http://www.limerickblogger.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4178

Does anybody here post on that forum? I haven't heard anything about that incident but that might be what I was talking about it being a suicide in my earlier post, apologies if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Like I said previously, stop attacking other peoples posts you sad little individual. A girl has died and all you can do is come on and spout crap to everyone.

And if you must know it is suicide at this stage. The girl, aged 18 is originally from Moyross and had two young children. I have also heard her name but it would be disrespectful to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

ya the girl was a close friend of mine who I grew up with , she had a kid young after her mam died and her boyf in and out of prison and she gave birth to a still born baby so its pretty sad. I dunnno if anyone else will know her

R.I.P leanne x

neo2010 wrote: »
    And if you must know it is suicide at this stage. The girl, aged 18 is originally from Moyross and had two young children. I have also heard her name but it would be disrespectful to post.
    We are talking about the same person, thanks Neo. Appears it was a suicide, poor girl.

If the post on the limerick blogger is true that's 3 young girls who have jumped into the Shannon in about a week.

I actually know the girl personally so it's very insulting when some individuals here start demanding to know details and names.

This forum is for information and discussion but there's a fine line between disclosure and disrespect ie broadcasting the poor girls name for everyone to know.

Let the media announce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I actually know the girl personally so it's very insulting when some individuals here start demanding to know details and names.

This forum is for information and discussion but there's a fine line between disclosure and disrespect ie broadcasting the poor girls name for everyone to know.

Let the media announce it.

Give it a break will you.

Yesterday you were speculating.
    Then you knew for a fact it was an accident because your friends in LIT told you so.
    Now you know for fact it was a suicide.

Get over yourself.

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Give it a break will you.

Yesterday you were speculating.
    Then you knew for a fact it was an accident because your friends in LIT told you so.
    Now you know for fact it was a suicide.

Get over yourself.

Sorry here comes Itsdacraic to back up anything tomcollins says.

I've noticed a pattern here that no matter what he says you back, you thank the majority of his posts and object to anyone with partially different views to either you or him.

It's sad because all signs point to either you and him being the same person with two separate accounts, which in itself is quite funny in a disturbed way or your simply two misguided individuals with too much time on yer hands.

And to clarify once again, many rumors have been floating around. First friends of mine out in town drinking witnessed it and thought it was a student. But it transpires that I found out late last night that it was a person I grew up with.

So now you can return to the cesspool you emerged from and leave this thread for what it was started for in the first place, to find out about the incident and pay respects to this girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

So now you can return to the cesspool you emerged from and leave this thread for what it was started for in the first place, to find out about the incident and pay respects to this girl.

Second that.

Very very sad, RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

jesus will everyone stop talking s**t. i know i joked about aquaman but all you people are fighting about who heard what rumour and which is the closest to truth. im suppose to be the a**hole here guys not ye. stop fighting. who cares if Neo "heard" from the lads in LIT. who cares if TomCollins doesnt agree. who cares about any of the other bitching posts. a young girl died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

neo stop being up your arse about this. its great that you found out. it really is. if it wasnt for you we would never have known.................. o wait it news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its sad news. get over yourself dude. your on one hand preaching what you know about the incident and in another breath your critisising someone else who heard something different............... you only heard a story mate. thats all. it could be the truth but who cares.

shouldnt we be feeling sorry for the girl rather than debate who is right or wrong??

so all of you grow up

dont make me turn this car around

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Get over yourself more like - what a waste of time.

Like I said previously, stop attacking other peoples posts you sad little individual.

Maybe you should practice what you preach :eek:

It's sad because all signs point to either you and him being the same person with two separate accounts...

I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This thread is a train wreck.

Once again, my condolences to the family. I'm sure I speak for most people here when I say our thoughts are with you now and in the weeks to come.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement