Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exhibition space for the summer.

• 16-02-2010 12:59am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm offering an exhibition space in the city at the weekends during the up coming summer months. The space is on Temple Bar Sq and is roughly 7 metres by 3 high, so it's fairly prominent. The area gets great footfall and browsers alike, so far more exposure than your typical gallery.

I'm not interested in hosting peoples best photos or a mish mash. I'm only looking to exhibit a body of work that creates a cohesive collection. An artistic endevour taken in earnest.

There will be no other photos on display other than that chosen individual's work, the artist doesn't have to stay with the work as I (or my assistant) will look after it. Hours for hanging will be Sat. and Sun. 11a.m until 5p.m. The work will, of course, be taken down in the evening and safely stored locally. Then picked up by the owner on Sunday evening.

I sell there at the moment but I'm relocating. I'm still going to hang onto the patch to sell on at weekends. However I also want to ocassionally do something different such as displaying exhibition style collections from other artists.

Neither I nor my assistant will be in anyway taking the role of seller or advertiser and we are not interested in engaging with the public about the work. That is solely down to the artist displaying in whatever method they choose. We will display and protect, that is all.
    There is no payment for the service, all services are provided for free.

So to sum: I've a good space in Dublin city centre that I'd like to ocassionally give over to another artist so they can display their work.
    Would anybody be interested?

Again just to re-iterate, this is not an offer to display your best or favourite photos in the city.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

This might be totally dim, but exactly what constitutes a 'cohesive collection', in gallery terms? :o

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

zoegh wrote: »
    This might be totally dim, but exactly what constitutes a 'cohesive collection', in gallery terms? :o

Individual pictures that work together to create one overall piece of work.

i figured that... i guess i'm just thinking... this is a really cool thing to do btw. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Good to see you decided to do this.
    We will display and protect, that is all.
    I was wondering what you were going to do about security (as I was running to the LUAS) after our conversation on Saturday.
    I think I might try and make a go of this, make a project out of it for myself.
    Always nice to have an objective.:)

Good to see you decided to do this.

I was wondering what you were going to do about security (as I was running to the LUAS) after our conversation on Saturday.
    I think I might try and make a go of this, make a project out of it for myself.
    Always nice to have an objective.:)

It could be a job for you to do mate!!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Hi humberklog, I'd be very interested in taking advantage of this offer! I'm a photography student in Dundalk and I have been working on a specific project for the past few months for my Portfolio. I was going to look into getting an exhibition space in Dundalk during the summer, although I would love to have it on display elsewhere too.

I'm not sure what kind of style your looking for, but from what i understand from your post you just want a collection that all ties in together :)

Heres one of my pieces from my project called "The Entity".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34002339@N02/4320312654/

Hope to hear more about this. Thanks on behalf of everyone for offering. Its incredibly generous!

dan759 wrote: »

I'm not sure what kind of style your looking for, but from what i understand from your post you just want a collection that all ties in together :)
    !

I've no opinion on what goes up. Only that the work is a comitted project is all that's required. My eyebrow may raise a little if I thought there was a drift towards just a general display of random photos by someone, that's all.

Planning to run the offer sporadically from May throught to August. Not every weekend as naturally enough I do have to put bread on the table and beer in the belly.
    It's probably not something that's going to get too much interest so there should be no need for lotteries. There's plenty of space there and plenty of time to accommodate anyone interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I would be strongly interested in putting up a gallery of IR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

hmmm sounds intriguing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

As you know I'd be interested.

However, I'd only do it on a commission on sale basis (hope something sells of course). No one should have to stand there for nothing, thats not on.

It's a terrific idea and very noble of you. Well done!!

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Covey wrote: »
    It's a terrific idea and very noble of you. Well done!!
    T.

What he said !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Sounds interesting. Do you mean space for one person for the whole summer of space for a person for 1 weekend during the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Very nice thing to do, fair play to you for bothering at all. I sent you a PM of a body of work to see if you are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Well done - good karma to you sir.

Sounds interesting. Do you mean space for one person for the whole summer of space for a person for 1 weekend during the summer?

Space for a weekend for one person. Then another weekend for another person. One person per one weekend.

Ah well you see Covey having it about the sales isn't the intention. It's more about giving people a goal in bringing a collection together. It's all well and good getting a couple of snaps but there's not much incentive for those that would like to create something larger if you're never going to get the chance to display it a wider audience. You see it's not a "best of, see if I can shift some". It's "hey look what I made, I hope at least one person connects."

Saying that now if the curator of the Tate did walk past and offer you a big chunk of moola to wing your collection over to the gallery then I would happily have a few scoops on it:pac:.

Really though, money and exchanges of such would only complicate this simple offer of space to show a coherent exhibition to those like me who wouldn't know the door to the Arts Council from the back of a bus.

Thanks fade2che but I'm not going to be looking through work for approval, all work is approved once you're happy with it and it falls into the very broad remit: a cohesive, artistic collection. Give me 3 weeks notice and I'll throw me eye over it then just to make sure it's not a Greatest Hits collection. I don't like a lot of my own shots and generally come away from an exhibition with a very different view than what the artist intended so I'm no one to judge the merit of another's work.

Right I'm with you now. Still interested but need to get my arse in gear :P

Can I hang a pair of patent red shoes over mine? ;):p (personal joke, sorry )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Thanks humberklog, I'm definitely interested so. The body of work is still missing a few key shots so the timing is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

humberklog wrote: »
    Space for a weekend for one... yada yada yada...

Are you setting any other criteria at all, other than a themed set? Size of images or number of images or are you leaving all of that up to the prospective displayer and keeping a somewhat loose/casual setup in those regards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 mcdonnells

Hi humberklog,

I would love the opportunity to take you up on your offer.

I am finishing up an abstract 'Smoke art' project with IOP and will be part of the class exhibition in a couple of weeks.

The idea of getting an 'individual' display opportunity and have that style out there is great.
    (might prompt me to do more alternative images)

If your interested, take a look here. I have 11images as the final body of work completed for this exhibit (http://www.stephenmcdonnell.ie/exhibition-project.html)

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Steve

trooney wrote: »
    Are you setting any other criteria at all, other than a themed set? Size of images or number of images or are you leaving all of that up to the prospective displayer and keeping a somewhat loose/casual setup in those regards?

No criteria other than that Tony. I'll properly measure out the space and put a pic up. size and amount wise it'll have to fit of course but that's completely in the artists hands. The space is there to be viewed by any one any time. I'd recommend to anybody that wants to do it then go down and have a good look at the space first.

• Advertisement

mcdonnells wrote: »

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Steve

No prob on displaying the goods mcd but I'd much rather not look at the proposed collections beforehand for a number of reasons. As said to a previous poster if the artist is 100% ready to go, completely comitted then I'll throw my eye over the work 2 or 3 weeks before hand just to make sure that it isn't random snaps put together with the intention of selling.

If your looking for independent feedback I'd recommend putting the collection up on a seperate thread for input/c+c.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Having seen my one picture on display in Tallaght, I'm seriously going to look at taking you up on your offer. A kernel of an idea is already forming in my warped little mind........

Having seen my one picture on display in Tallaght, I'm seriously going to look at taking you up on your offer. A kernel of an idea is already forming in my warped little mind........

That's the spirit!!! Once it doesn't involve shooting down model planes:pac:.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

That's the spirit!!! Once it doesn't involve shooting down model planes:pac:.

LOL. Glad to see you actually read the comments on pix.ie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

incredibly sound of yez, humberklog. fair play. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

HI,
    I could be interested.
    How many photos approximately would you recommend fit best in the space.

Cheers,
    Pa.

dinneenp wrote: »
    HI,
    I could be interested.
    How many photos approximately would you recommend fit best in the space.

Cheers,
    Pa.

I'd say up to 8 would work well. I'll get a photo up of the space although there are quite a few photos of the spot floating around as I seam to be getting my picture taken more than I'm selling.

The space is essentially two panels (railing spaces, I will be dressing these spaces in material when I'm doing my own exhibit. That option is up to yourself though). Each space is app. 2.5 m wide by...well about 6m but I'd recommend only going as high as physically reachable.

I'll be down there shortly and will measure exactly and will take a few schnapps of the place. It'll be on film so won't be up for a few days.

I think slidinginfinity and Simplicius have pics of the spot.

The reason for putting the thread up now is to give those interested plenty of time to work on their stuff.

Just a reminder for those that don't read threads fully- this is not an offer to exhibit a collection of peoples best individual shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I'd love to give it a lash, I'll have to have a think about the theme ... Might be a good excuse to go out and take a few new pics ...

:)

Love to know the dimensions when you've a chance.

What generosity of spirit!

• Advertisement

Ok...have the exact dimensions. Basically two panels, both 1.9metres wide and 4 metres high (each). Both panels are seperated by red brick wall 800mm wide. I'll sort pics out. I may be able to spread it across the square as I've been talking to a few of the businesses in the area and they're interested in displaying on their premises. So see what happens there though as I can't bank on them. But deffo some shops are 100% behind giving a hand.

I have to say, I am tempted myself... I've kinda just gotten into short d.o.f black & whites, so you've given me something to think about... hmmm... Maybe this is the perfect excuse to get myself a nifty fifty to experiment!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Just to say again fair play to ya Humber. A really kind act I hope lots of good karma comes your way !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

if i can get a few more printed n mounted I mite be tempted to partake of your generosity! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Well Humberklog i think its a crackin idea, and very spot on to have it focussed on a collection of art for people to see rather than using it as an advertising space to get business from. I have been working on a little project over the last few months and immediately thought of it when I heard of this oppurtunity.

I'll get my skates on and get some printing and framing done and I'll be in touch. I like the idea of letting my photos out on a little holiday for temple bar people to see. I will take part on the one condition, that I can buy you lunch / beer as a little thank you for babysitting my photos, and coming up with such a delightful idea for arts sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 mcdonnells

Hi humberklog,

As all before this is a fantastic oppertunity and I would love the opportunity. I have a collection of 'Smoke Art' that would love the 'airing'
    As the previous poster, to show a collection of art in this area is great.
    Please count me in.
    Let me know what you need

Appreciated

Steve

• Advertisement

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Well Humberklog i think its a crackin idea, and very spot on to have it focussed on a collection of art for people to see rather than using it as an advertising space to get business from. I have been working on a little project over the last few months and immediately thought of it when I heard of this oppurtunity.

I'll get my skates on and get some printing and framing done and I'll be in touch. I like the idea of letting my photos out on a little holiday for temple bar people to see. I will take part on the one condition, that I can buy you lunch / beer as a little thank you for babysitting my photos, and coming up with such a delightful idea for arts sake.

Thanks Kate, beer and food is a very under-rated currency:pac:.

At Mcdonnells, all you need is pics stringed from the back. I have hooks etc. Any of the rest re descriptive literature is purely down to yourself.

I'm going to be dressing the railings in material for my own exhibition because I think it'll look better than railings so I'd recommend something like that as a backdrop.

Hi humberklog, I've already expressed an interest in the space, but i was just wondering if there would be any chance to see it?

I'll be up in dublin all day on Friday to drop in my portfolio to DIT. I'll also be with a few classmates who submitting portfolios too. I told them about your offer and they are very keen too.

As i said though, Since we'll be in the area on friday and only if you are free, would we be able to see it? :)

Hi humberklog, I've already expressed an interest in the space, but i was just wondering if there would be any chance to see it?

I'll be up in dublin all day on Friday to drop in my portfolio to DIT. I'll also be with a few classmates who submitting portfolios too. I told them about your offer and they are very keen too.

As i said though, Since we'll be in the area on friday and only if you are free, would we be able to see it? :)

Yeah of course, I might be working there on Friday too, but if not I'll pm on the address. As for letting it out to your friends, well I wouldn't be that generous or interested in the least. I'm going to keep it to Boards members only (and no new accounts, only those with some history) as I'm only going to do it a few times as I usually work off that patch at weekends and need to eat aswell.

There's usually a fall off of around 80% from those that originally say yes to actually doing it so I'm happy enough to commit to the numbers Boards throws up but no more than that.

Thats Cool. Very understandable too!

Well I'll be in the area on friday for definite and would love to check it out. Can you PM me the details? :)

• Advertisement

Thats Cool. Very understandable too!

Well I'll be in the area on friday for definite and would love to check it out. Can you PM me the details? :)

Will do.

What about Saturday? My weekend is shaping up to be spent in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

Fair play Humberklog! I have a project in mind, if it gets finished before the summer is through I'll give you a shout to see if you still have any vacancies :pac:

Fenster wrote: »
    What about Saturday? My weekend is shaping up to be spent in Dublin.

Well I'm probably not going to be there gthis Saturday but sure the space is there to be viewed and figured out. I'll PM on the address if you'd like.

Well I'm probably not going to be there gthis Saturday but sure the space is there to be viewed and figured out. I'll PM on the address if you'd like.

That would be perfect.

Sooooo it's coming closer to summer. I was keeping an eye on the weather to see if it was gonna pan out like the last 2 years and that'd put the kybosh on it really. However, weather aside I'm just now asking who is still interested? I'm going to keep it open now only to those that initially shared an interest (and artyeva and maybe if asked by pm if another entrant was possible I could do the numbers and possibilities in private).

Anyways...thread bumped.

Sooooo it's coming closer to summer. I was keeping an eye on the weather to see if it was gonna pan out like the last 2 years and that'd put the kybosh on it really. However, weather aside I'm just now asking who is still interested? I'm going to keep it open now only to those that initially shared an interest (and artyeva and maybe if asked by pm I can do the numbers and possibilities in private).

Anyways...thread bumped.

I'm in, been thinking on this for a while now and nearly sorted. Love the idea if I'll pass the test !

I'm in, been thinking on this for a while now and nearly sorted. Love the idea if I'll pass the test !

Yeah, we've already talked about it Covey. In and In. I know you're not on thread as having committed but you did it in person.

I think this nicely ties in with your thread re internet and photography.

Yeah, we've already talked about it Covey. In and In. I know you're not on thread as having committed but you did it in person.

I think this nicely ties in with your thread re internet and photography.

Talk over a few pints eh? K can take notes so we both remember :)

Talk over a few pints eh? K can take notes so we both remember :)

Perfect. The Gargle Superhighway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement