Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a set radius on my router?

Options
  • 16-02-2010 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I've a linksys wireless router set up down stairs in my house which i have my laptop set up on. The connection works grand down stairs and upstairs but when i try to connect up in the attic which is where i work from it wont connect, is there an easy way to fix this? Could it be whatever material my roof was built out of blocking the signal?

I know i'm probably leaving out alot of info here so if i've left anything out that could be of help to anyone who can help me let me know and i can get back to you with the relevent info.

thanks for anyones help in advance :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The unfortunate thing about wireless equipment is that every situation and every combination is unique so it is very difficult to comment from afar.

If the internet is essential in the attic have you considered the plug solution?

Just one example:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_powerline_adapters_performance.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I don't know if its true here, but in some places, for fire regs, an attic conversion has to have foil-backed plasterboard on the ceiling of the floor below. That would stop it!
    If you don't want to run a CAT5 wire up to the attic, consider the 'homeplug' solution, transmits ethernet over house mains wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kayasurf

just remembered that the houses were flat roofed until about twenty years ago until a pitched roof was put on it so god only know what material was used in the original roof, i'll look into the plug solution thanks for your help guys

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

depends on your antennas, obstructions and what these obstructions are made of, whcih was already mentioned.
    Id recommend the powerline option.
    Saw them for pretty cheap in Beltronics in Dublin, around €50

Advertisement